London Open House Weekend: Part 1 Saturday 21 Sept

  • diane ridley
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2002
      A bit of a shock to realise that I've now been doing these weekends for ten
      years - since they started.

      As good as ever, taking in:

      A walk round the ancient (cattle) market town of my birth, Romford, Essex.
      (Alright, I know its not exactly Venice - what can I say?)

      Now a shrine to suburban nite spots and shopping, though I still remember
      the cow pens, if not the cows. Including a visit to the Victorian gothic
      church of St Edward the Confessor. 1850, Johnson. I went to the primary
      school associated with the church, so must have spent many hours here, with
      absolutely no recollection of the 1541 monument from the previous church on
      the site to Anthony Cooke, tutor to Edward VI. Though living up what was
      then a dimly lit path at the back of the churchyard now a car park and ring
      road)I do have vivid memories of running as quickly as possible along it to
      get home.

      Next door for a quick look around the 15C former chantry house and inn.

      Behingd this the 1908 Wykeham Hall, site of the best jumble sales in
      Romford, now gentrified into something unrecognisable.

      Back into town to see a couple of churches close by the South side of the
      river. First stop Rotherhite. A quick look at Brunel's engine house for the
      Rotherhite tunnel, a designated ancient monument and now a museum, along the
      old cobbled stree past the wharfs and the old Mayflower pub, (said to have
      timbers from the ship in its construction) and round the corner to St
      Mary's. 1715, John James. Very atmospheric and interesting. The captain of
      the Mayflower buried here; Grinling Gibbons reredos; an altar table and
      bishops' chairs made from wood from Turner's 'Fighting Temarare'; beautiful
      1746 Byfield organ.