Paula Vogel's Civil War Christmas Will Sing at NYTW

  • christmashistorian
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2012
      By Kenneth Jones

      A Civil War Christmas, written by Paula Vogel and directed by Tina Landau, will make its New York City premiere in the 2012-13 season of New York Theatre Workshop, the Off-Broadway theatre where Rent was born.

      "Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Paula Vogel (How I Learned to Drive) weaves a rich tapestry of a beleaguered and divided nation, war-weary and desperate for goodwill, on a blustery Christmas Eve in 1864.

      the personal stories and struggles of a wide range of historical figures and fictional characters — from the President's wife to runaway slaves, Union and Confederate soldiers to Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and Walt Whitman — we learn that, for all their differences, one thing is clear: the yearning for peace cuts across religious and class divisions, color lines and, of course, the Mason-Dixon Line.

      At once familiar and freshly re-imagined, the story of that winter night is alive with history, hope and humanity.

      Vividly staged by director Tina Landau and infused throughout with traditional carols and period music, A Civil War Christmas takes a sprawling new look at the seemingly intractable challenges we once faced to see how far we've come as a nation and how far we still have to go."

      http://www.playbill.com/news/article/165196-Paula-Vogels-Civil-War-Christmas-Will-Sing-at-NYTW-Sontag-Reborn-Also-Added-to-Season