Re: [Christmas International] Christmas - Banned in Boston

  • a_faze
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
      I enjoy reading about Christmas in Malta. We don't ever read about it
      in the news so that makes it more interesting to learn from you.

      --- In christmasinternational@yahoogroups.com, Dorrie Galea
      <dorriegalea@y...> wrote:

      > Though Christmas in Malta is celebrated by all, it is primarily a
      feast for children where Baby Jesus is still the central figure. The
      children are given their presents right after the Christmas Midnight
      Mass if they have been to one or they find them by the bed-side early
      on Christmas day. Though the custom is slowly dying out, children
      used to be given a bag full of hazelnuts, a tangering or orange
      sweets and some small pastries. Children also prepare the vetch to be
      arrayed roung the Christ Child or the Crib. Vetch is a little round
      grey/black seed, the size of a small bead. It is put in a flowerpot
      on a bed of cotton wool and religiously watered till it grows into a
      silky white long stem with a small white star-like 'blossom' at the
      end.