WEEKLY BIBLE READER

  • J Mason Emerson
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 9, 2006
      ************************
      THE WEEKLY BIBLE READER
      J Mason Emerson, Editor
      ************************

      CONTENTS: Welcoming Our Newcomers, Weekly Bible Reading, Religion
      And Bible News, Recipe For Fellowshipping And Other Occasions
      (Chocolate Peanut Brittle), Events In The News (science, Bible
      archaeology, medical discoveries re cancer/heart/etc), A Reader
      Asks, Christian Invitation Reminder

      Also please feel free to email others (again, long-timers as well as
      newbies) in the e-fellowship by clicking on MEMBERS, then clicking
      on their profiles and emails. Don't assume others have already done
      so; you may be the first.

      Some who just joined today and yesterday are jerry3mac@...,
      myezmailaddress@..., jmar_pantilag@...

      Christian Witnesses extends a warm welcome to those and the many
      other recent newcomers!

      ---------------------
      WEEKLY BIBLE READING:

      As we read the following together may each try to make a personal
      application of it to his or her life:
      -------------------------------------

      RELGION AND BIBLE NEWS:

      Indonesia's Government Is Working Against Christianity... What To
      Do: Jubilee Campaign reports that due to Christianity's fast rise
      in the mostly Muslim nation, Muslims there want Christianity
      resisted with force and the government has closed over 150 churches
      in Jakarta and Java. To read the rest of the story and see what
      you can do click

      http://www.crosswalk.com/news/religiontoday/1401316.html

      A U.S. Federal Judge Has Ruled Against A Prison Work Program By
      Religious Group. He says Prison Fellowship, teaching job skills in
      five states, shows favoritism while the group says it's voluntary
      and effective. Get more details here:

      http://www.crosswalk.com/news/religiontoday/1401004.html

      Biblical Archaeology Review notes many scholars thought in King
      David's time Edom was at most a society where wandering tribes
      pastored sheep and goat and unable to field an army, which view
      meant Bible accounts of Israel battling Edom were false. This same
      view supported other scholars who argued ancient Judah was similarly
      undeveloped a hundred or more years after David. But new evidence
      has shown the Bible was right for Edom had copper mines and smelting
      industry. http://www.bib-arch.org/bswb_BAR/indexBAR.html

      The Phillistines. Evidence continues to mount that the Phillistines
      originated from - as the Bible says - Crete. Also, they were in
      Canaan during Abraham and Isaac's time, long prior to the tribes of
      Israel entering the land.

      http://abr.christiananswers.net/articles/article.html

      RECIPE FOR FELLOWSHIPPING AND OTHER OCCASIONS:
      CHOCOLATE PEANUT BRITTLE (Garvick.com)

      1/4 c Cocoa; 1 ts Baking Sod; 1 tb Butter; 1 c Sugar; 1/2 c Light
      Corn Syrup; 1/4 c Whipping Cream; 1 1/4 c Salted Peanuts
      Lightly butter a cookie sheet and set aside. In a small bowl, stir
      together the cocoa and baking soda. Add the butter then set aside.
      In a heavy 2 quart saucepan, stir together the sugar, corn syrup,
      and whipping cream.

      Cook, over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar is
      dissolved. Stir in the peanuts. Continue cooking, stirring
      frequently, until the mixture reaches 300 Degrees F. or when syrup
      dropped into very cold water separates into threads which are hard
      and brittle. (Make sure that the bulb of the candy thermometer is
      not resting on the bottom of the pan). Remove from the heat and
      stir in the cocoa mixture. Immediately pour onto the prepared
      cookie sheet. With tongs or wooden spoons, quickly spread and pull
      into a 1/4-inch thickness.

      Place the cookie sheet on a wire rack to cool completely. When the
      candy is cold, snap into pieces and store in a tightly covered
      container.
      ------------------

      EVENTS IN THE NEWS:

      New Anti-Cancer Group. A drug is keeping chronic myeloid leukemia
      at bay. If you've ever had or known others to have cancer then this
      article is for you:

      http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1868228.html?menu= The U.S.

      Food and Drug Administration has just approved a vaccine for
      cervical cancer:

      http://dsc.discovery.com/news/ap/20060605/hpv_hea.html

      Robotic Sensor Can Feel As Do Humans. Since it can feel wrinkles on
      a coin it may be able to feel the difference between cancerous and
      normal tissue. Get more information:

      http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1872294.html?menu=

      A shoebox size bronze device found in 1900 in a Roman era is the
      world's oldest surviving astronomy computer. It "could calculate
      the position of certain stars, at least the Sun and Moon, and
      perhaps predict astronomical phenomena." Click:

      http://dsc.discovery.com/news/afp/20060605/astronomycomp_arc.html

      New Solar System Found Full Of Carbon. Beta Pictoris is only 8-20
      million years old and has nine times more carbon than oxygen. Get
      more information here:

      http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20060605/pictoris_spa.html
      -------------

      A READER ASKS: "I have seen some interesting profiles of other
      Christians including one in my own area. That's neat. Is there
      some way I could locate even more?"

      Answer: Yes, go to LINKS on the left side of the ChristianWitnesses
      homepage, namely

      Register or sign in at the top then scroll down to a CW link for a
      specific state, nation or world region that is for your own area.
      Go to and register/sign in to that website.

      It may take a while but when enough others have done the same you
      can start working to meet by email, phone calls, then in person
      picnicking and the like.

      We already have several signed in for example for Missouri and
      California. Canada and India also have some.

      If you don't see a link for a website for your own area, just let me
      know so that I can quickly and easily put one up for you.
      Phone 913 492-1564
    • J Mason Emerson
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 16, 2006
        WEEKLY BIBLE READING
        J Mason Emerson ("Joe") Editor
        jmasonemerson@ yahoo.com

        CONTENTS: Welcome To Newbies, Comments From Readers, Religion And Bible News, Bible Reading For The Week, Events In The News, Final Word And Comments From Readers

        WELCOME to the newbies and may those here a long time likewise email
        them; to do so, if signed in already just go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ChristianWitnesses/members?o=6

        If not sign in (or sign up) at the top of the page at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ChristianWitnesses/members?o=6

        where you can click on their profiles and email addresses to send a greeting.

        Please also remember that the website offers CHAT (also on the left) for group discussion.

        My eyes have a lot of strain on them and so I will be taking a
        little break and some of these may be repeated items, although not
        all. Otherwise, given health inquires by a couple readers recently,
        my heart since the 5-bypass operation is still healing; I'm told it
        takes up to 3 years to full it's "part" of me again and not partly
        detached.
        -----------------------
        COMMENTS FROM READERS

        K wrote "Thanks for your Christian services. So far I've met a man several states from here and have had some great conversations by email with him. He says for two months he's invited a few friends who meet in his home Sundays. They meet and fellowship, as you put it, Joe, united by love while disagreeing on this or that at times. I also like the new missing persons link."

        By missing persons link she means http://beyondmissing.com/main.shtml

        Gilgs... wrote asking for some help with email reception and she got it.

        Gadalong... wrote saying that although he was invited to our website he thinks our open fellowship "must" be "pandemonium" so he didn't want to look at it. It was pointed out to him that on the contrary our website as with other true (not in name only) fellowships not on the internet but in the real-world operate joyfully and with love.
        He also said anything not to do with the Bible is "of Satan." I didn't tell him this but can't help wondering if he feels the same way about ice-cream and colleges.

        Mother... wrote claiming there is no statement of belief for our website. It was pointed out that it's on the front page of the website. I did not tell her this (though hopefully she is reading it this second) but my personal story and views also also posted (as well as name/phone number/photos) on the website in FILES and PHOTOS. Mother... also claimed there's no discussions and she was told that CHAT and one-to-one emailing discussions (also Instant Messaging) are available. Many of us also are signed in to other egroups where tons of emails are posted daily. Some like that, but others of us feel it clutters our email accounts. It just depends on what you like.

        ------------------------
        RELIGION AND BIBLE NEWS:

        Right Now Episcopalian Delegates Are Meeting in Columbus, Ohio (USA) in an effort to keep 2.3 American Episcopalians from splitting over the issue of homosexuality since an openly homosexual bishop was
        elected. Former U.S. Senator John Danforth says the church risks
        becoming irrelevant. In the ongoing climate, a lesbian dean at Trinity Cathedral in Cleveland, Ohio, says she has withdrawn her name from being considered as a bishop. Episcopalians at the meeting will also elect a new church head. (A.P.; religionnews.com)

        The Barna Group reports that about 50 million Americans now meet in homes instead of church buildings and the trend to do so is increasing. They want to "be" the church, not just sit in a church. In the past more people worried that Home Churches might facilitate the entry of errant teachings but since many feel that that is already happening in building-oriented churches, more and more now prefer Home Churches. Some also cite scriptures saying the earliest Christians met in homes. A cited drawback is that such groups must decide things for themselves thing such as financing and activities. http://www.crosswalk.com/news/religiontoday/

        Rick A. Ross Institute Re Former Members Of Opus Dei Giving Their
        Insights: http://www.rickross.com/reference/opus/opus68.html

        Many, many more articles about the Opus Dei organization are at
        http://www.rickross.com/groups/opus.html

        A group of Roman Catholic bishops is urging the U.S. Congress to
        pass an immigration reform bill, calling it a moral necessity.
        (religionnews.com; A.P.; CNN)

        Indonesia's Government Is Working Against Christianity; And What You
        Can Do About It: Jubilee Campaign reports that due to its fast rise
        in the mostly Muslim nation, Muslims there say Christianity must be
[...]

        ---------------

        BIBLE READING:

        Please read then seek to make prayerful personal application:

        ACTS 17:16 While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was greatly
        distressed to see that the city was full of idols.

        17 So he reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and the God-fearing
        Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who
        happened to be there. 18 A group of Epicurean and Stoic philosophers
        began to dispute with him. Some of them asked, "What is this babbler
        trying to say?" Others remarked, "He seems to be advocating foreign
        gods." They said this because Paul was preaching the good news about
        Jesus and the resurrection.

        19 Then they took him and brought him to a meeting of the Areopagus,
        where they said to him, "May we know what this new teaching is that
        you are presenting? 20 You are bringing some strange ideas to our
        ears, and we want to know what they mean." 21 (All the Athenians and
        the foreigners who lived there spent their time doing nothing but
        talking about and listening to the latest ideas.)

        22 Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men
        of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23 For as
        I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I
        even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now
        what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you.

        24 "The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of
        heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. 25 And
        he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because
        he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. 26
        From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit
        the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the
        exact places where they should live.

        27 God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for
        him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 28 'For
        in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own
        poets have said, 'We are his offspring.'

        29 "Therefore since we are God's offspring, we should not think
        that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made
        by man's design and skill. 30 In the past God overlooked such
        ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31
        For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by
        the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by
        raising him from the dead."

        32 When they heard about the resurrection of the dead, some of them
        sneered, but others said, "We want to hear you again on this
        subject." 33At that, Paul left the Council. 34 A few men became
        followers of Paul and believed. Among them was Dionysius, a member
        of the Areopagus, also a woman named Damaris, and a number of others.

        -------------------

[...]

        FINAL WORD:

        Thanks for coming and please invite others.

        jmasonemerson@ yahoo.com
      • J Mason Emerson
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 7, 2006
          WEEKLY BIBLE READER
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ChristianWitnesses
          July 7, 2006 jmasonemerson@ yahoo.com 913 492-1564

          GREETING OUR NEWCOMERS: After signing in to the website address above feel free to email a welcome to the newcomers in our fellowship; some yahoo.com profiles include photos or avatars, hobbies information, age, location, and other given information
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ChristianWitnesses/members?o=6

          FOR THOUGHTFUL BIBLE READING OR STUDY:

          ACTS 19:8 "Paul entered the synagogue and spoke boldly there for three months, arguing persuasively about the kingdom of God. 9 But some of them became obstinate; they refused to believe and publicly maligned the Way. So Paul left them. He took the disciples with him and had discussions daily in the lecture hall of Tyrannus. 10 This went on for two years, so that all the Jews and Greeks who lived in the province of Asia heard the word of the Lord.

          11 God did extraordinary miracles through Paul, 12 so that even
          handkerchiefs and aprons that had touched him were taken to the
          sick, and their illnesses were cured and the evil spirits left them.

          13 Some Jews who went around driving out evil spirits tried to
          invoke the name of the Lord Jesus over those who were demon-
          possessed. They would say, "In the name of Jesus, whom Paul
          preaches, I command you to come out." 14 Seven sons of Sceva, a
          Jewish chief priest, were doing this. 15 (One day) the evil spirit
          answered them, "Jesus I know, and I know about Paul, but who are
          you?" 16 Then the man who had the evil spirit jumped on them and
          overpowered them all. He gave them such a beating that they ran out
          of the house naked and bleeding.

          17 When this became known to the Jews and Greeks living in Ephesus,
          they were all seized with fear, and the name of the Lord Jesus was
          held in high honor. 18 Many of those who believed now came and
          openly confessed their evil deeds. 19 A number who had practiced
          sorcery brought their scrolls together and burned them publicly.
          When they calculated the value of the scrolls, the total came to
          fifty thousand drachmas. 20 In this way the word of the Lord spread
          widely and grew in power.

          21 After all this had happened, Paul decided to go to Jerusalem,
          passing through Macedonia and Achaia. "After I have been there," he
          said, "I must visit Rome also." 22 He sent two of his helpers,
          Timothy and Erastus, to Macedonia, while he stayed in the province
          of Asia a little longer."

          As a suggestion you and any others you may be having a weekly Bible
          study/reading with can read and listen to together 10-20 Bible
          verses of your own selection while each is encouraged to make a
          personal application of the verses. A great source for numerous
          Bible translations and Bibles in different languages is
          http://www.biblegateway.com

          After reading, a Bible group may follow with prayer, enjoy a simple
          meal and visiting, fun activities for younger ones; go to help older
          ones among you who may be ill or total shut-ins, help your
          neighborhoods etc:
          --------------------

          RELIGION NEWS:

          Click for current happenings (e.g. Christians beaten/tortured in
          India; largest Episcopalian church seceding at Plano, Texas)
          http://www.crosswalk.com/news/religiontoday/1406036.html
          http://www.crosswalk.com/news

          Click to see what's happening for religion in general:
          http://www.crosswalk.com/news/religiontoday/

          Click for news about groups many consider cults for example because
          of endangering/killing/spying/reporting on members, (e.g.
          Scientology)
          http://rickross.com/reference/scientology/history/history103.html
          http://rickross.com
        • J Mason Emerson
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 15, 2006
            WEEKLY BIBLE READER
            J Mason Emerson ("Joe") Editor
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ChristianWitnesses
            jmasonemerson@ yahoo.com
            913 492-1564
            -------------------------------
            FROM THE READERS:

            Christina wrote in to say: "Hello, I have had a Great time since joining this site, even became friens with an Indonisian. Life is wonderful even in the Desert. God bless and don't worry you have alot on your plate sincerely, crissy"

            A link to many of our newcomers whom you are encouraged to greet:

            Comment: Thank you, Christina. (For those unfamiliar with the English expression "have a lot on your plate" it means you're busily doing many things. This has brought me a lot of joye even during difficulties.

            Thanks also to those participating in the ongoing POLLS section.
            More than 530 of us are now signed in to our efellowship started
            September 2006.
            -------------------------------
            RELIGION NEWS AND AN EDITORIAL:

            Recently Muslim extremists blew up 200 people in trains at Mumbai
            (Bombay), India. Showing that most Muslims are peaceful, Indian
            Muslims stood in line for hours to give blood to those who had been
            wounded.... The FBI is investigating an online video showing two
            gunmen shooting a copy of the Quran then leaving the bullet-riddled
            Muslim holy book outside a Chattanooga mosque.

            Jury deliberations are going on in Santa Ana, California, involving
            4 Aryan Brotherhood leaders alleged to have plotted murders to
            control drug dealing etc while behind bars. An indictment details
            32 murders and attempted murders over a 30 year span. AB was founded
            in the 1960s at San Quentin Prison then spread across the U.S.
            prision system where an estimated 10% of prisoners are now in racist
            gangs. Many members have a tatooed swastika and Nazi SS lightening
            bolt. They believe white Anglo-Saxons are God's "chosen people,"
            nonwhites no more than animals and that Jews are Satan's children.
            As true of only a few other religions they are taught to practice
            verbal theocratic warfare (telling lies) against enemies.
            http://www.religionnewsblog.com/15272/Jury-Begins-Deliberating-Aryan-
            Brotherhood-Case

            Presbesbyterian Church Commissioners Called Contemptuous: The
            Presbyterian Church met last month in Birmingham, Alabama for its
            217th General Assembly and its commisioners voted to allow use of
            phrases such as "compassionate mother, beloved child, and life-
            giving womb" and "rock, cornerstone and temple" in place of "Father,
            Son, and Holy Spirit," which Pastor Parker T. Williamson, CEO of the
            Presbyterian Lay Committee, said was showing contempt for historic
            church teaching. - Religion News

            Islamic Violence Paralyzes Nigerian Teen Christian: For two years
            Francis Yohanna Anche, 15, has been suffering from a brain injury
            and paralyzed right hand and leg sustained when Muslim students in
            his high school in Zaria city attacked Christian students.
            According to Anche, Christian students were told to stop worshipping
            in the school's chapel or be attacked. Seven other Christian
            students also sustained injuries. Christian leaders in Kaduna say
            the area is the nerve-center of Islamic extremism. Many religious
            conflicts in northern Nigeria originate there then spread nationwide.
            http://www.crosswalk.com/news/religiontoday/1406951.html

            BIBLE READING: Please join with us now in reading with a view to
            prayerfully somehow letting it speak to our own situations in one
            way or another. It says

            "If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have
            obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love." - John 15:10

            As I see it, one question we can each ask is if we are doing as
            Christ said or simply obeying the words of imperfect men.

            If you are reading this with a Bible group you may now wish to not
            only consider how it may be helpful but conclude with prayer, enjoy
            a simple meal such as finger sandwiches and lemonaide, visit in
            fellowship, have fun activities for children, consider ways to help
            your community and neighborhood to God's praise. Also please
            remember to invite others to our online fellowship at
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ChristianWitnesses
            --------------------
            COOKIES RECIPE FOR FELLOWSHIPPING AND OTHER OCCASIONS:

            1/2 c Butter
            1 c Sugar
            1 ea Egg (beaten)
            1 c Dates (chopped)
            2 c Rice Krispies
            1/2 c Nuts (chopped)
            1/2 t Vanilla
            1 ds Salt
            1 ea Coconut

            In a saucepan, cook butter, sugar, egg and dates for 5 minutes,
            stirring constantly. Cool to lukewarm; add to the Rice Krispies,
            nuts, vanilla and salt. Mix well; form into balls about the size
            of walnuts. Roll in coconut. Yield: 2 dozen.

            ---------------------
            EVENTS IN THE NEWS RIGHT NOW:
            Click to see: http://www.cnn.com/ up to the minute worldwide
            http://www.guardian.co.uk/ covers the U.K., Europe and world

            ------------------------------------
            SCIENCE AND BIBLE ARCHAEOLOGY WEEKLY: Click to see:
            http://www.sciencedaily.com/

            ANNOUNCEMENTS-QUESTIONS-COMMENTS ETC:
            If you have announcements such as fellowshipping picnics, weddings,
            birth announcements, obituaries, you can email them to
            ChristianWitnesses@yahoogroups.com
          • J Mason Emerson
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 7 1:51 PM
              FROM READER/S TO THE WHOLE GROUP:
              Welcome to the newbies including godson_godloves who includes a photo in his profile: http://profiles.yahoo.com/godson_godloves

              To see and email a welcome to G and other newbies go to the homepage
              and click NEW MEMBERS at the top.

              WEEKLY BIBLE READING FOR PERSONAL REFLECTIONS: Romans 2:28 A man is not a Jew if he is only one outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical. 29 No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a man's praise is not from men, but from God.

              HYMN (Day, A Day Of Glory)" http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/d/a/y/daydayog.htm

              RECIPE FOR FELLOWSHIPPING: Salmonettes; 1 serving

              14 oz Can salmon
              1/4 c Liquid from salmon
              1 Egg, slightly beaten
              1/2 c Flour
              1 Heaping teaspoon baking powder
              Pepper, to taste
              Oil for deep frying

              Drain salmon, reserving 1/4 Cup of liquid. In a bowl, break
              salmon apart with a fork. Add flour, egg and pepper. Mix
              well. In a small bowl, combine baking powder and reserved liquid,
              beating until foamy. Don't mix these in advance! Combine contents
              of the two bowls. Form patties, and fry them in hot oil for one
              or two minutes. Drain the patties on a paper towel and serve.
              garvick.com

              RELIGION NEWS:
              Condensed from Barna Studies Growing Popularity of House Churches in U.S. Allie Martin of AgapePress: The Barna Group looked at key factors of the house church movement in the USA to discover what has fueled the rising popularity of house churches and found that they appeal to older adults who want a deeper experience with God and other believers. Also, he says house churches tend to attract young adults who have little interest in traditional forms of church.

              Also, the average size of a house church is 20 people; there is an average of seven children under age 18 involved in each church; and three out of every four house church participants have been active in their current gathering for less than a year. Many Americans are experimenting with house churches. "There is a very significant and consistent move of people into house churches," he says, "but it's not a cut-and-dried kind of move."

              Barna also notes "Most of the people who are regularly attending a house church still, on at least an infrequent basis, are attending a conventional church." Too, "what we find is, because it is a group of people who lead themselves, generally speaking they do not have a formal pastor."

              He says some groups "really believe that it's not good to have that one person that has the title, the authority, the responsibility because then everybody becomes dependent on that person, and there's power struggles and authority issues that crop up." The survey also revealed that 80 percent of house churches in America meet weekly, while 11 percent meet once a month. Four out of ten house churches say the format they follow varies from week to week. http://beta.crosswalk.com/news/religiontoday/11528727/

              Recently Ted Haggard and his wife announced that they plan to move from Colorado possibly to Missouri or Iowa. He also announced that he is now 100% definitely a heterosexual, his recent three weeks at an Arizona treatment center was helpful, and he did not use any amphetamines. New Life Church's Tim Ralph said it would be wonderful if later on Haggard were to be restored to his previous pre-scandal position of pastor. http://www.religionnewsblog.com/17410/ted-haggard

              Muslims express anger over excavation work at Temple Mount; details:
              http://beta.crosswalk.com/news/11529250/
            • J Mason Emerson
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1, 2007
                FROM READER TO READERS: Thanks to those who responded to the still ongoing voluntary poll question "Which of the following items have you used?" and so far your response percentages are:

                Christian Packet (chartering Bible groups, certifying a minister) 9 8 Bible Story book 13 12 leaflets about Bible topics 11 10 song book 10 9 letter stationary paper 4 3 Photo albums 16 15 Links section 11 10 Chat 8 7 Members section 15 14 Other 8 7

                It shows that photos, email contacting of other members, the Bible Story book, links and Bible leaflets are very popular. The chatroom and packets sections were not as popular although also used.

                Also don't forget that you and the newcomers can contact each other directly by clicking on MEMBERS on the left of the homepage then signing in at the top

                The only items from an individual for the whole group came from Mic Rock who spoke of True Faith JWs. The religion news section this week is dominated by the Discovery Channel's documentary about an alleged cemetery for the family of Jesus Christ. There's also an item on the LDS in NYC, a Vegan raisins scone recipe for fellowshipping occasions etc.

                WEEKLY BIBLE READING: This week it's Romans 4 at the following link. May each of us read it thoughtfully for some manner of upbuilding personal application:

                http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%204&version=31

                HYMN: Holy Angels Bright: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%204&version=31

                FELLOWSHIPPING RECIPE: http://vegweb.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=16b6deba28f65d417b33177e2df35c85&topic=5767.0

                RELIGION NEWS:

                ENORMOUS FIRESTORM HITS OVER "THE JESUS FAMILY CEMETERY" STORY
                A Discovery channel documentary will air claims soon that a burial site highly likely to be for Jesus Christ, his wife Mary Magdalene and a son named Judah is located in Jerusalem. The show will present archaeological and DNA studies to bolster its case. One reason that it is stirring a firestorm is because it counters traditions that Jesus was single. It also says Jesus died but after three days was not brought back to life before ascending to heaven.
                The film-makers will bring to the screen names on limestone bone boxes at the site, DNA material, and other analysis.

                For example five of the 10 boxes have the names Jesus, Mary, Matthew, Joseph and Mary Magdalene. A sixth in Aramaic says "Judah son of Jesus." One in Aramaic says "Jesus son of Joseph," another says "Maria" which is Latin for Miriam or in English Mary.
                One in Hebrew says "Matia" the original Hebrew "Matthew."

                An inscription in Greek says "Mariamene e Mara" meaning "Mary known as the master."

                Archaeologist Amos Kloner, a professor at Israel’s Bar-Ilan University, says there is no evidence that it was the burial site of Jesus, and the names are a coincidence. "I’m a scholar. I do scholarly work which has nothing to do with documentary film-making."

                Professor L Michael White of the Institute for the Study of Antiquity and Christian Origins at the the University of Texas says he also doubts the claims: "This is trying to sell documentaries."

                The film-makers also obtained two sets of samples from the ossuaries for DNA and chemical analysis.

                The first set consisted of bits of matter taken from the ‘Jesus Son of Joseph’ and ‘Mariamene e Mara’ stone boxes or ossuaries. The second set consisted of patina, a chemical film encrustation on one of the limestone boxes. The remains were analysed by Dr Carney Matheson, a Canadian scientist at the Paleo-DNA Laboratory at Lakehead University in Ontario.

                Mitochondrial DNA examination determined the individual in the Jesus ossuary and the person in the ossuary linked to Mary Magdalene are not related, suggesting Jesus and Mary Magdalene could have been married, but Dr R Albert Mohler, president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary said "The DNA testing is to me the most laughable aspect of this." See religionnewsblog.com for more

                LDS MISSIONARIES BUSY IN NYC:

                LDS (Mormon) missionaries are busily preaching door-to-door on the Upper East Side of New York City, where their church recently opened a five-story, 39,000-square-foot building on East 87th Street.

                The multimillion-dollar, Gothic structure opened in October 2007 and now houses two wards, or congregations. The first is mostly young families, and the other is mostly singles aged 18 to 30. The building could eventually accommodate two more wards of 300 or more people.

                The Upper East Side family ward for residents between 50th and 110th streets, since moving into the new building has seen Sunday attendance grow about 25%, to almost 150 people, LDS Bishop Joseph Jensen said. He said it is because of good schools and reasonably priced housing compared to other Manhattan neighborhoods. He predicted another ward would open at the church within five years.

                Jensen noted however that as far as making new Mormon converts “This area is tough, because missionaries just can’t get access to so many buildings.”

                To reach more people missionaries have passed out hot chocolate and religious literature on East 86th Street, near Second Avenue. Durin one hour about twelve people picked up brochures and DVDs. A few said they would visit the Upper East Side church.

                Due to Mitt Romney, a Mormon former governor of Massachusetts, running for President, LDS beliefs are in the U.S. limelight. Some polls show almost 33% of Americans would think twice about voting any Mormon to the office.

                The LDS teaches Jesus reappeared in upstate New York to Joseph Smith in 1820, restoring original Christianity. Among other things members are to abstain from drugs, alcohol, caffeine, vulgar language, premarital sex and polygamy which it discontinued in 1890.

                The LDS is controversial because many say its theology is so different from the foundation beliefs of Christianity. Still, in the past month missionaries Trey Reed, 19, and Gabriel Ferreira, 21,
                have converted one person to the church.

                LDS spokesman Ahmad Corbitt said there are about 42,000 Mormons in greater NYC, and 371 missionaries in the region.
                See religionnewsblog.com for more

                "TRUE FAITH" JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES:

                Most Jehovah's Witnesses have been unaware that over 100,000 JWs in E. Europe say they obey Jehovah God and "the Faithful Discreet Slave," Christ, rather than the Watchtower Society and its "Governing Body" over JWs in the West; or that the "True Faith" JWs are growing internationally including in Canada and the U.S., meeting in homes and by internet.

                This is only the latest in a series of concerns for the Watchtower Society heads ranging from their controversial stand against emergency transfusions of whole blood to child molestation cases and the ongoing sending of "repentant" pedophiles etc among
                those JWs preaching door-to-door.

                Mic Rock of the TFJW branch association in North America says although in the past possibly one in four who left the Watchtower Society in the West returned to it, he believes that as TFJWs become better known relatively few will, meaning the Watchtower Society
                which is also being increasingly abandoned by those baptised as JWs when children, is now largely in a state of decline.

                Asked what the major attractions are for the TFJWs association, he states that it is because of the continuing love many ex-JWs feel for the Creator as well as its having Christian balance with reasonable freedom to exercise Bible-trained conscience and open
                dissent on matters such as holdiays, the blood issue, association, child rearing, happiness and protection.

                "It's a lot more like how the Watchtower Society allowed JWs to be before about 1962 when they called for formal rigid judging and harsh disfellowshipping. Nowadays they call dissenters apostates but those who held firm even against Communist persecutions are here to tell them that what they call others is what they themselves became, sad but true, and our arms are open to the Friends who still put their love for Jehovah and His Christ first.

                Hank Johnson is a newly elected Congressman from Georgia’s 4th District. Relgion News Service says he is ”one of the first Buddhists ever elected to Congress” but actually he is a member of a very controversial fringe group of that religion called Soka Gakkai International (SGI) has often been called a “cult.” See rickross.org for more

                VIDEO: Bonelli Park Church Picnic: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rhz18aBg3vc

                FINAL WORD: Thanks for coming. Tell others of us, please.
                jmasonemerson@...
              • J Mason Emerson
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 23, 2007
                  FROM READER TO READERS:

                  First welcome to the newcomers including Regner Capener who now lives in Washington state but was previously in Mission, Texas, where he ran for Congress. Regner is a married minister-broadcaster whose hobbies include Biblical studies, and photography. He plays more than 30 musical instruments, enjoys American History, Greek & Hebrew Studies. He's also still very active in trying to improve conditions around him.

                  Meanwhile, back here in Overland Park, Kansas, the weather has been very nice of late. There's been some steady rains at times causing the flowers and trees to blossom. Some of nature's raiment is especially stunning so far, with bold dashes of pink and white, and I just hope Madam Snowfall will not be back to kill it off. But then you never know for sure.

                  I also think you will enjoy the Popcorn Macaroon's fellowshipping recipe farther below here. You may have noticed, too, that Beth's photo with her granddaughter still graces the frontpage here at
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ChristianWitnesses/ and the main color of the page was changed from red to blue in response to a previous poll question.

                  As always, thanks for coming, please keep coming back again and bringing others, J Mason Emerson or Joe at jmasonemerson@...

                  WEEKLY BIBLE READING: Romans 7 this time. Please join with us this week in thoughtfully reading the following after which you may wish to pray, sing a hymn, share some news, eat together and plan to do acts of kindness for other Christians, your families and communities. There's tons of interesting religion news as well, and the photos of Ephesus and Corinth are another must-see.

                  A HYMN YOU CAN HEAR AND SING: The Love Of God
                  http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/l/o/loveofgo.htm

                  RELIGION NEWS:

                  Episcopalians prepare for possible division http://www.religionnewsblog.com/17785/episcopalians-brace-for-possible-church-split

                  From The BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/news/
                  Crosswalk: http://www.crosswalk.com/news/religiontoday/
                  news about kids kidnapped and forced to be Muslim
                  Religion News Blog: http://www.religionnewsblog.com/
                  includes news on FLDS head wanting out of jail:
                  http://www.religionnewsblog.com/17789/warren-jeffs-attorney-claims-trafic-stop-illegal
                  also includes news of sadistic foster mother:
                  http://www.religionnewsblog.com/17784/eunice-spry-2

                  RECIPE FOR FELLOWSHIPPING: (Popcorn Macaroons)
                  Yield: 60 servings
                  1 c Popcorn; popped (remove all
                  -hard kernels)
                  1 c Walnuts; finely chopped
                  3 Egg whites
                  1 c Powdered sugar
                  3/4 ts Vanilla

                  Put popcorn in blender and chop fine. Combine in a bowl with nuts.
                  Beat egg whites until foamy, then add sugar and beat until stiff.
                  Blend in vanilla and mix carefully with popcorn and nuts. Drop by
                  spoon onto a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 300
                  degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes. (garvick.com)

                  LAND OF THE BIBLE: Fascinating photos of two Bible cities and areas
                  Ephesus: http://flickr.com/search/?q=Ephesus+Christian+&m=text
                  Corinth: http://flickr.com/search/?q=Corinth+Greece+&m=text

                  HOW CHRISTIANS CAN HELP CATCH CRIMINALS
                  Australia: http://www.afp.gov.au/act/solving_crime/act_most_wanted
                  Canada: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/wanted/index_e.htm
                  U.K. http://www.met.police.uk/wanted/
                  U.S. http://www.fbi.gov/wanted.htm

                  TO HELP PERSECUTED CHRISTIANS: (Hebrew 13:3, Remember the
                  persecuted) http://www.christianfreedom.org/about_cfi.aspx
                  http://www.persecutedchurch.org/

                  Yours in Christ, Joe
                • J Mason Emerson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
                    FROM READER TO READERS:

                    No one sent anything for posting to the entire group but if later you do have something for everyone and it's not unkind or otherwise inappropriate (as with spam) those are typically put in here. Many also like to email one to one and use chat.

                    Our group includes children, and, speaking of children, if others also have photos of new borns, your kids enjoying a party etc, you can email a copy for putting in a group album. Ditto with the entire family or mom and dad doing fun things such as picnicking and hiking, visiting an art museum or zoo.

                    Galatians 5:22 says love and joy are also fruits of God's Holy Spirit. Christ's life was also focused upon making people happier. Some he literally fed with fish and bread, others he healed, and others he enjoyed conversing and eating with while also discussing spiritual matters with parables combined with questions. He was the perfect Good Shepherd.

                    WEEKLY BIBLE READING: Please join us in considering Romans 8
                    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%208&version=31 this week; also, as a A Verse Of The Day from biblegateway.com note:
                    “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”- Hebrews 12:2

                    Paul notes that the cross is for Christians to boast in as a symbol of the resurrection hope. Until Christ bring that hope, it had been an object of scorn even as most today would look askance at a handgun used for killing someone. Such is the power of Christ and Christianity.

                    HYMN: There Was Joy In Heaven: http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/t/w/j/twjheavn.htm

                    FELLOWSHIPPING RECIPE: Blueberry Pear Cobbler
                    http://www.garvick.com/recipes-ms/blu2m103.htm

                    RELIGION NEWS:

                    New Freedoms In Middle East:
                    http://www.crosswalk.com/news/religiontoday/11532438/

                    Brit Assesses America's "Most Hated" Family, The Phelps:
                    http://www.religionnewsblog.com/17862/westboro-baptist-church

                    Some U.K. Schools Water Down Teaching Of Holocaust, Slavery, Crusades http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6517359.stm

                    Satanists Demand Official Recognition In Bulgaria:
                    http://www.religionnewsblog.com/17870/bulgaria-satanists

                    Evangelical Split Over Global Warming:
                    http://www.crosswalk.com/news/religiontoday/11535976/

                    More Younger Sikhs Abandoning Turbans
                    http://www.religionnewsblog.com/17866/sikhism

                    VIDEO: Church Picnic And Baptism In Colorado:
                    http://youtube.com/watch?v=L8cejnhtPqI

                    LAST WORD: Thanks for coming and visit the homepage at:
                  • J Mason Emerson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 19, 2007
                      FROM READERS TO READERS: bjrosered57@... sent the funny for us to open with. Also, I'm sending this to you early because tomorrow I go on a week's vacation. Now for what BJ Rose Red sent:

                      Everything I need to know about life, I learned from Noah's Ark
                      One : Don't miss the boat.
                      Two : Remember that we are all in the same boat.
                      Three : Plan ahead. It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.
                      Four : Stay fit When you're 600 years old, someone may ask you to do something really big.
                      Five : Don't listen to critics; just get on with the job that needs to be done.
                      Six : Build your future on high ground.
                      Seven : For safety's sake, travel in pairs.
                      Eight : Speed isn't always an advantage. The snails were on board with the cheetahs.
                      Nine : When you're stressed, float a while.
                      Ten : Remember, the Ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic by professionals.
                      Eleven : No matter the storm, when you are with God, there's always a rainbow waiting...
                      May your troubles be less,
                      may your blessings be more,
                      and may nothing but happiness
                      come through your door!

                      No exact date has been set yet for the San Francisco campout. If you have input, please pass it along as soon as possible.

                      FELLOWSHIPPING RECIPE: Before getting together with friends and maybe a newcomer or two to enjoy a Bible reading, also consider trying the following recipe for delicious blueberry cobbler:
                      http://www.garvick.com/recipes-fps/bla2f103.htm Remember, a Bible reading fellowship can be anytime, for example a Wednesday or Friday evening. Many also like a little ice-cream and chocolate chip cookies to go with their cobbler pie, hint, hint, hint.

                      TODAY'S OPENING SONG AND PRAYER:

                      Our opening song is "Give Me That Old Time Religion"
                      http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/o/l/oldtimer.htm

                      Heavenly Father, thank You for the blessings of life. At Mark 8:36 Your Holy Spirit has caused us to read “What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?” and so we pray that something that we learn from being here today, whether from the Bible reading, songs, sermon, fellowshipping or whatever will help us to stay strong with you spiritually. Forgive us our sins, Dear Father, please. Amen.

                      OUR WEEKLY BIBLE READING:

                      Now as is customary, may we join together in considering the following in a thoughtful way, each thinking of ways something in it has meaning for our own lives. Paul wrote:

                      Romans 12:14 "Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.
                      16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.

                      17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay,"says the Lord.

                      20 On the contrary:
                      "If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
                      if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
                      In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

                      SERMON STORY OF THE LAST SECOND BELIEVER:

                      Teddy Jarooshki had become an evil man for, you see, he was wearing the cloth of a minister and praying at church, seemingly all light, but he was also secretly, cunningly harming women and little children.

                      The real truth was that by his secret evil actions and unspoken
                      words it was clearly known to God and the angels that Ted actually
                      did not believe in God. He was certainly the worst of hypocrites.

                      One day he was strolling the Adirondacks admiring the beauty of nature when an enormous tall brown bear came after him. He ran but tripped and the bear was about to eat him when he yelped "God!"

                      The bear frozen right over him and a voice came from heaven "Ah, so
                      you want my help even though you have harmed many people! You
                      haven't really believed that I existed up to now."

                      Teddy blinked and answered "Why, that's true, but I sure do now.
                      I'll stop this being a hypocrite. But, please, just turn this bear
                      into a Christian."

                      The voice of God continued "Then I shall grant your request,
                      Teddy." The bear drew back, folded it hands together in prayer and
                      calmly, innocently said "Heavenly Father, thank you so much for the meal I'm about to eat."

                      Now it would be interesting if like God and the angels we were able to know just how many of us here are more like the bear, or more like the man who came to believe at the last second. Hopefully none of you including myself are ever ever like or become even remotely like Teddy Jarooshki.

                      CLOSING SONG AND PRAYER

                      Hail, All Hail! By C. S. Kauffman in 1901.
                      http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/h/a/i/haillallh.htm

                      RELIGION AND OTHER NEWS

                      Kenya's police say there will be no compromising and admit that they are out to shoot to kill members of Mungiki, and have already arrested 5,000 Mungikis after members of the movement perpetrated gruesome murders of people including some police officers recently: http://www.religionnewsblog.com/18520/mungiki-19

                      Descendants of a 120-member Arkansas immigrant party massacred by Mormons on September 11, 1859 while aided by some Paiutes say their plea for the LDS Mormons to turn stewardship of the Mountain Meadows mass grave site over to the U.S. Federal government has been rejected and the situation is akin to having U.S. President Kennedy's gravesite managed by the family of the assassain Lee Harvey Oswald.

                      http://www.religionnewsblog.com/18524/mountain-meadows-massacre-3

                      "Jehovah's Witness shuns blood, dies" Thursday, June 21, 2007 OSAKA (Kyodo) A member of the Jehovah's Witnesses died last month after giving birth by Caesarean section and refusing a blood transfusion, officials at Osaka Medical College reported. The hospital said it had agreed with the woman before the surgery that it would not administer a transfusion. Although she bled a great deal after delivering the child, doctors only took steps to arrest the hemorrhaging. She died several days later, the hospital said. "We briefed her about the danger (before the surgery) and we repeatedly urged her family to accept a blood transfusion. But in the end we respected the patient's wishes," a hospital official said Tuesday. Jehovah's Witnesses' officials said the hospital acted appropriately in treating the woman in accordance with her wishes. Members of the denomination refuse blood transfusions as being against the Bible, citing the section in Leviticus that reads: "Whatsoever man . . . eats any manner of blood, I will cut him off from among his people."
                      http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20070621b1.html

                      1 Samuel 14:32-35 says men ate blood with meat to stay alive and at Matthew 12:7 Christ says "If you had known what these words mean, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice,'you would not have condemned the innocent."

                      It's believed that several JWs who are mostly elderly but sometimes kids and babies similarly bleed to death every single day somewhere on this planet, generally without coming to media attention.

                      http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/s/i/singwith.htm
                      http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/b/t/btmvison.htm

                      In a trial against an alleged pedophile priest, the priest's defence is attacking a victim's memory; words too shameful to utter are being uttered at the trial in Vermont so read discretion is advised:
                      http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070621/NEWS/70621002/1002/NEWS01

                      AMBER ALERTS, CRIME FIGHTING ALERTS ETC:

                      If you want those you can get them here in LINKS:

                      THANKS FOR COMING and please tell others they are also invited to fellowship with us:

                    • J Mason Emerson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 27, 2007
                        For results from polls/surveys of your opinions click POLLS over on the left.

                        OPENING SONG: This is an African-American spiritual heard in South Carolina and written by Charles D. Tillman in 1889: Give Me That Old Time Religion http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/o/l/oldtimer.htm

                        OUR WEEKLY BIBLE READING: Romans 14:9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. 10 You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. 11 It is written:

                        " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
                        'every knee will bow before me;
                        every tongue will confess to God.' "

                        12 So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.

                        CLOSING SONG: This is by John W. Work Jr; 1907. Work ministered in the African American community and his song Go Tell It On The Mountain speaks both strongly and with great beauty: http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/g/o/gotitotm.htm

                        RECIPE FOR FELLOWSHIPPING GET-TOGETHERS: Snow Balls - a Greek
                        food http://www.foodclassics.com/re67/recipes.php

                        GORGEOUS PHOTOS OF GOD'S CREATURES:

                        RELIGION AND OTHER NEWS:

                        $45 million LDS (Mormon) child molestation case:
                        http://www.religionnewsblog.com/18854/lds-church

                        Sage may cure memory problems
                        http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/09/030901091846.htm

                        Chinese sage is possible cure for alcoholism
                        http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/index.php?feed=Science&article=UPI-1-
                        20070726-23331300-bc-italy-sage.xml

                        Eating blueberries slashes colon cancer risk by 57 percent, animal
                        study finds http://www.newstarget.com/021951.html

                        Warwickshire residents witness UFOs
                        http://www.religionnewsblog.com/18838/ufo

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 13, 2007
                          INPUT FROM OUR READERS:

                          A new poll question to which you are invited to respond asks what
                          kind of fellowshipping recipes you would like to see in the Weekly
                          Bible Reader for at least the next several issues. To respond go
                          to the homepage, sign in if needed at the top, then click POLLS over on the left:

                          OPENING SONG AND PRAYER: Jesus Walked This Lonesome Valley. This is an American spiritual, its origins possibly in the 1700s of 1800s of
                          early America, the author unknown and possibly of the
                          Afro-American slave community of the era.

                          http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/l/o/lonesome.htm

                          "Heavenly Father, again we come together in prayer, noting today that life itself can appear as a lonely valley and we are grately that we do not have to walk it alone but have your beloved Son Jesus Christ with us as well as today others with whom we are in fellowship. Continue with us now please as we continue the rest of our time together. Amen."

                          OUR WEEKLY BIBLE READING:

                          As usual we now consider together a reading, this week's selection from Romans 15 where Paul writes; may each of us ask ourselves what we can get out of it for personal application:

                          30 I urge you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me. 31 Pray that I may be rescued from the unbelievers in Judea and that my service in Jerusalem may be acceptable to the saints there, 32 so that by God's will I may come to you with joy and together with you be refreshed. 33 The God of peace be with you all. Amen.

                          CLOSING SONG AND BRIEF PRAYER:

                          This song was written by Fannie Heck in 1913. "Heavenly Father, as we conclude with our internet fellowship meeting, we pray that we continue respectful and appreciate of one another as creatures of God, and acknowledge in so doing the important major role of women in Christianity. Forgive us of our sins and shortcomings as we seek to forgive us, Amen."

                          http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/c/w/cwomenwp.htm

                          TURKEY-PECAN RECIPE FOR FELLOWSHIPPING OCCASION: Click to see what it is! Yum-yum! http://www.garvick.com/recipes-fps2/tur8f116.htm

                          RELIGION NEWS

                          Ex-Muslim groups are expanding across Europe despite attacks by Muslims calling them apostates: http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19335/ex-muslims-3

                          An attorney says FLDS prophet Warren Jeff committed rape as an accomplice: http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19340/warren-jeffs-42
                          Also read what the victim is saying:
                          http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19358/warren-jeffs-44

                          Canadian attorney says the right of infants to live by getting an emergency whole blood transfusion outweighs the right of Jehovah's Witness parents to exercise anti-blood belief http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19336/jehovah-s-witnesses-20

                          Tablighi Jamaat Muslim group has goal of converting all Britain to Islam: http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19326/mosque-london

                          FINAL WORDS

                          As I always say, thanks for coming and please remember this week to invite newcomers. We now stand at 1,112 signed in and always rejoice when more come to our table for fellowship. May our heavenly Father smile upon and guide you in the ways of safety and happiness this week!

                          Joe, your fellow servant in Christ
                          jmasonemerson@...
                        • J Mason Emerson
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 18, 2007
                            TO AND FROM THE FRIENDS:

                            This week's Guest Sermon seen farther below was sent from Billie Reveley who is signed in with us and has been a guest here before.

                            If you are also interested in sharing an upbuilding Christian sermon with the group, send a copy of your item to jmasonemerson@ yahoo.com.

                            Shorter items are normally given preference and general editorial requirements (e.g. clean, non-hurtful, non-commmercial) are in the Files Section; items are subject to editing and possibly being condensed, summarized etc as felt necessary to make them more readable or comprehensible.

                            Please email a note of thanks to Billie at bjrosered57@ yahoo.com for having shared with us.

                            OPENING SONG AND PRAYER:

                            Thy Will Be Done! By Jennie E. Hussey in 1902. http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/t/w/twbedone.htm

                            "Dear Heavenly Father, as the seasons are a-turning may we be reminded that though for us there is sorrow when friends occasionally pass on, still death is what the Bible says happens to us all but yet it also says that in Christ there is hope of being resurrected and rewarded, so that it is not all sorrow but also a cause for joy. Please be with us too as we continue on here. Amen."

                            OUR WEEKLY BIBLE READING:

                            While reading the following with a mind on making some manner of personal application also not what Paul says at the very end. If we applied it literally today in this modern era there might be some misunderstandings! Perhaps the nearest general social equivalent today would be a simple handshake.

                            Romans 16:6 Greet Mary, who worked very hard for you. 7 Greet Andronicus and Junias, my relatives who have been in prison with me. They are 8 Ampliatus, whom I love in the Lord. 9 Greet Urbanus, our fellow worker in Christ, and my dear friend Stachys. 10 Greet Apelles, tested and approved in Christ. Greet those who belong to the household of Aristobulus.

                            11 Greet Herodion, my relative. Greet those in the household of Narcissus who are in the Lord. 12 Greet Tryphena and Tryphosa, those women who work hard in the Lord. Greet my dear friend Persis, another woman who has worked very hard in the Lord. 13 Greet Rufus, chosen in the Lord, and his mother, who has been a mother to me, too.

                            14 Greet Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermes, Patrobas, Hermas and the brothers with them. 15 Greet Philologus, Julia, Nereus and his sister, and Olympas and all the saints with them. 16 Greet one another with a holy kiss. All the churches of Christ send greetings.

                            GUEST SERMON: (See farther below)

                            CLOSING SONG AND PRAYER:

                            "Heavenly Father, we know that today too there are those who know little to nothing about why Jesus Christ is so important for all humanity so that we can hope for resurrection. So we pray that during the rest of the week we'll keep in mind that we can tell about Christ to others, whether "On The Mountain" or in the valley, or else we can invite them to fellowship here where they can learn more of Christ our spritual King and Savior from death. Forgive our sins, please. Through Jesus Christ Your Son, Amen."

                            Go Tell It On The Mountain; John W. Work Jr; 1907. http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/g/o/gotitotm.htm

                            RECIPE FOR FELLOWSHIPPING:

                            Turkey Empenadas http://www.garvick.com/recipes-fps2/tur8f119.htm

                            RELIGION NEWS:

                            Witnesses for Fundamentalists LDS head Warren Jeffs are saying the cult's use of polygamy is kind, and FLDS women despite polygamy do have some power: http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19401/warren-jeffs-58 The "Jane Doe" victim in the case has agreed to permit publication of her name and photo; her name is Elissa Wall, now age 21; see photo and more information at the following link:
                            http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19428/elissa-wall

                            Snapnetwork.org and Silentlambs.org on September 29th between 11:00 a.m. and approximately 3:00 p.m CDT invite those interested to gather for a press conference on the public sidewalk in front of the Cathedral of the Incarnation on West End Avenue in Nashville, Tennessee. Participants will meet at Centennial Park and walk to the cathedral for a press conference. All survivors of clergy abuse (regardless of religious background or affiliation), their family, friends, and advocates, are invited to participate.
                            http://www.rememberthesurvivors.com/tipoftheicebergrally.htm

                            Saudi Arabian women are asking their King to change the law which keeps them from driving even though they know he is likely to reject them: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7000499.stm

                            Burma's military has used gas to disperse protesting Buddhist monks. The monks have coordinated the protests in at least five Burmese cities, leaders staying underground in view of the governments past dealings with protesting monks:
                            http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7000269.stm

                            The arrest of pedophile Jehovah's Witness Elder Wendell Willick shows the Watchtower Society's policies regarding pedophiles have not changed: http://silentlambs.org/CanadaElderCaught.htm
                            http://jehovahs-witness.com/8/142465/1.ashx

                            Law enforcement and intelligence agencies are discovering that the spread of Al Qaeda's terrorist message via the internet is more powerful and danger that the organization itself is: http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19402/islam-41

                            Sikhs are angry about their turbans being likened to diapers: http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19421/sikhs-2

                            GUEST SERMON:

                            As supplied by Billie Reveley, bjrosered57@ yahoo.com

                            I sat, with two friends, in the picture window of a quaint restaurant just off the corner of the town-square. The food and the company were both especially good that day.

                            As we talked, my attention was drawn outside, across the street. There, walking into town, was a man who appeared to be carrying all his worldly goods on his back. He was carrying, a well-worn sign that read, "I will work for food." My heart sank

                            I brought him to the attention of my friends and noticed that others around us had stopped eating to focus on him. Heads moved in a mixture of sadness and disbelief.

                            We continued with our meal, but his image lingered in my mind. We finished our meal and went our separate ways. I had errands to do and quickly set out to accomplish them. I glanced toward the town square, looking somewhat halfheartedly for the strange visitor. I was fearful, knowing that seeing him again would call some response. I drove through town and saw nothing of him. I made some purchases at a store and got back in my car.

                            Deep within me, the Spirit of God kept speaking to me: "Don't go back to the office until you've at least driven once more around the square."

                            Then with some hesitancy, I headed back into town. As I turned the square's third corner, I saw him. He was standing on the steps of the store front church, going through his sack.

                            I stopped and looked; feeling both compelled to speak to him, yet wanting to drive on. The empty parking space on the corner seemed to be a sign from God: an invitation to park. I pulled in, got out and approached the town's newest visitor.

                            "Looking for the pastor?" I asked.
                            "Not really," he replied, "just resting."
                            "Have you eaten today?"
                            "Oh, I ate something early this morning."
                            "Would you like to have lunch with me?"
                            "Do you have some work I could do for you?"
                            "No work," I replied. "I commute here to work from the city, but I would like to take you to lunch."
                            "Sure," he replied with a smile.
                            As he began to gather his things, I asked some surface questions. Where you headed?"
                            " St. Louis ."
                            "Where you from?"
                            "Oh, all over; mostly Florida ."
                            "How long you have been walking?"
                            "Fourteen years," came the reply.

                            I knew I had met someone unusual. We sat across from each other in the same restaurant I had left earlier. His face was weathered slightly beyond his 38 years. His eyes were dark yet clear, and he spoke with an eloquence and articulation that was startling. He removed his jacket to reveal a bright red T-shirt that said, "Jesus is The Never Ending Story."

                            Then Daniel's story began to unfold. He had seen rough times early in life.. He'd made some wrong choices and reaped the consequences. Fourteen years earlier, while backpacking across the country, he had stopped on the beach in Daytona. He tried to hire on with some men who were putting up a large tent and some equipment. A concert, he thought.

                            He was hired, but the tent would not house a concert but revival services, and in those services he saw life more clearly. He gave his life over to God

                            "Nothing's been the same since," he said, "I felt the Lord telling me to keep walking, and so I did, some 14 years now."

                            "Ever think of stopping?" I asked.

                            "Oh, once in a while, when it seems to get the best of me But God has given me this calling. I give out Bibles. That's what's in my sack. I work to buy food and Bibles, and I give them out when His Spirit leads."

                            I sat amazed. My homeless friend was not homeless. He was on a mission and lived this way by choice. The question burned inside for a moment and then I asked: "What's it like?"

                            "What?"
                            "To walk into a town carrying all your things on your back and to show your sign?"

                            "Oh, it was humiliating at first. People would stare and make comments. Once someone tossed a piece of half-eaten bread and made a gesture that certainly didn't make me feel welcome. But then it became humbling to realize that God was using me to touch lives and change people's concepts of other folks like me."

                            My concept was changing, too. We finished our dessert and gathered his things. Just outside the door, he paused. He turned to me and said, "Come Ye blessed of my Father and inherit the kingdom I've prepared for you. For when I was hungry you gave me food, when I was thirsty you gave me drink, a stranger and you took me in."

                            I felt as if we were on holy ground. "Could you use another Bible?" I asked.

                            He said he preferred a certain translation. It traveled well and was not too heavy. It was also his personal favorite. "I've read through it 14 times," he said.

                            "I'm not sure we've got one of those, but let's stop by our church and see" I was able to find my new friend a Bible that would do well, and he seemed very grateful.

                            "Where are you headed from here?" I asked.

                            "Well, I found this little map on the back of this amusement park coupon."

                            "Are you hoping to hire on there for awhile?"

                            "No, I just figure I should go there. I figure someone under that star right there needs a Bible, so that's where I'm going next."

                            He smiled, and the warmth of his spirit radiated the sincerity of his mission. I drove him back to the town-square where we'd met two hours earlier, and as we drove, it started raining. We parked and unloaded his things.

                            "Would you sign my autograph book?" he asked. "I like to keep messages from folks I meet."

                            I wrote in his little book that his commitment to his calling had touched my life. I encouraged him to stay strong. And I left him with a verse of scripture from Jeremiah, "I know the plans I have for you, declared the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you; Plans to give you a future and a hope."

                            "Thanks, man," he said. "I know we just met and we're really just strangers, but I love you."

                            "I know," I said, "I love you, too." "The Lord is good!"
                            "Yes, He is. How long has it been since someone hugged you?" I asked.
                            "A long time," he replied

                            And so on the busy street corner in the drizzling rain, my new friend and I embraced, and I felt deep inside that I had been changed. He put his things on his back, smiled his winning smile and said, "See you in the New Jerusalem."

                            "I'll be there!" was my reply.

                            He began his journey again. He headed away with his sign dangling from his bedroll and pack of Bibles. He stopped, turned and said, "When you see something that makes you think of me, will you pray for me?"

                            "You bet," I shouted back, "God bless"
                            "God bless." And that was the last I saw of him.

                            Late that evening as I left my office, the wind blew strong. The cold front had settled hard upon the town. I bundled up and hurried to my car. As I sat back and reached for the emergency brake, I saw them.. a pair of well-worn brown work gloves neatly laid over the length of the handle. I picked them up and thought of my friend and wondered if his hands would stay warm that night without them.

                            Then I remembered his words: "If you see something that makes you think of me, will you pray for me?"

                            Today his gloves lie on my desk in my office. They help me to see the world and its people in a new way, and they help me remember those two hours with my unique friend and to pray for his ministry. "See you in the New Jerusalem," he said. Yes, Daniel, I know I will...

                            If this story touched you, forward it to a friend!

                            FINAL WORD: Thanks for fellowshipping with us! Please tell others of our online fellowship and may your week ahead be a great one!

                            Your Fellow Servant In Christ
                            Joe jmasonmemerson@...
                          • J Mason Emerson
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 3, 2007
                              FROM READERS:

                              First, welcome to the many persons including my older brother Edward who have signed in this week. Please explore our resources (FILES, LINKS, MEMBERS, PHOTOS, POLLS etc) located on the left of the homepage http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ChristianWitnesses and if you enjoy being here as much as we do, please tell others so they may also come to fellowship.

                              donnalee99@... says in POLLS she wishes to participate in reading the Bible with others in person but has yet to email in her location. So, Donna, if you're reading this, please send it on in to me at jmasonemerson@.... I'll then list it in the first of the FILES and hopefully someone will see it, starting emailing with you and if you're both still interested you can share Bible readings in the real world.

                              OPENING SONG WITH PRAYER:

                              Little Church In The Wildwood. By William S. Pitts
                              in 1857. http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/l/i/littlebc.htm

                              "Dear heavenly Father, as the song says, may we all have or come to have pleasant memories of a "church in the valley by the wildwood. We know that when a church or assembled congregation of Christians gathers, it is especially important that we watch to not stumble or in any way hurt the feelings of others. So we pray that now and in the days ahead we will be sensitive to the needs of others, ministeromg to them for a healing. Please help us likewise to be healed and comforted. Through Jesus Christ Your Son we pray, Amen."

                              OUR WEEKLY BIBLE READING:

                              As customary please read this thoughtfully with each of us seeking to make some manner of personal application:

                              10 I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought. 11 My brothers, some from Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12 What I mean is this: One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another, "I follow Apollos"; another, "I follow Cephas"; still another, "I follow Christ."

                              13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul? 14 I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so no one can say that you were baptized into my name. 16 (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don't remember if I baptized anyone else.) 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

                              Some comments: The Bible says that love, as learned from the personality of Christ seen in the scriptures themselves, is the one most powerful bond of unity; also, who may have given us a water baptism is not as important as is the fact that we were baptised into Christ.

                              As we finish with song and prayer then go to fellowship whether with spouse or friends as some do already or by clicking MEMBERS or doing Instant Messaging with others signed in, let us not forget the needy too. For example maybe across the road from your house is a poor or disabled person you could invite over to share a bowl of soup with you. A possible Fellowshipping Recipe is farther below here.

                              CLOSING SONG WITH PRAYER:

                              All Through The Night. This is a Welsh folksong sung to
                              a tune recorded in Edward Jones' Musical and Poetical
                              Relics of the Welsh Bards (1784).

                              http://www.wfu.edu/~moran/Cathay_Cafe/ET_AllThruNight_C.mid

                              "Beloved Father, again we come to You in prayer. Please continue protecting us all through the darkness of night and even the darkness sometimes of day, helping us to bear up under the pressures of life and the imperfect health we may have in our bodies of flesh. Thank You for having sent Your Son so that all might receive resurrection to heaven or on earth, and now through Jesus Christ we pray, Amen."

                              FELLOWSHIPPING RECIPE: (Lentil Soup With Ham)

                              This is tasty for when we can get together in person but also for when we are alone. Just pretend some of us are there eating and speaking with you. Though you may be by yourself we as fellow Christians are with you in spirit, plus the angels and God know how you're doing too. http://www.garvick.com/recipes-fps2/sou8f220.htm

                              RELIGION NEWS:

                              Agape Fellowship may sell land to pay sexual misconduct claims
                              http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19547/terry-hornbuckle-2
                              Emotional headmaster apologizes at gathering of Grenville (Ontario) Christian College alumni http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19536/grenville-christian-college-12

                              Background regarding peaceful Buddhist monk-led protests against violent dictators in Burma/Myanmar http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19522/burma-myanmar
                              (Comment: the open protests have now been stifled; so may now continue in other ways such as a nationwide work slowdown or intermittent strikes)

                              British Columbia also affected by Jeffs (FLDS head) conviction
                              http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19546/bountiful-polygamy-3
                              Civil Claim From Warren Jeffs Would Help Girls Escape Polygamy http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19541/polygamy-38
                              FLDS fences separate members, society http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19535/flds-10
                              South Dakota FLDS camp spurs suspicion
                              http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19534/flds-9

                              Hospital begins landmark case over transfusion http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1002/coombe.html
                              Jehovah's Witness parents in transfusion case can cross-examine doctors
                              http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5htHkgdODDPMYsbhspBW62Ic0dkvw

                              In the United Kingdom, Creationism can be a topic in class
                              http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19527/creationism-4
                              UK: Christian campaigners force new guidelines over creationism
                              http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19525/creationism-2

                              IN CLOSING

                              Thanks again for coming and may the love of Christ be with you the rest of the week and beyond.

                              Mason Emerson jmasonemerson@... or simply "Joe"
                            • J Mason Emerson
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 14, 2007
                                WELCOMING THE NEWCOMERS

                                Welcome to ruth3and4woman of California, age 51; random_chels@...; random_chels@...; mgc1952 Mark Corbin New England 53 married minister; stephenthmrtyr@...; rockingshell2000@... KANSAS 46 female, and the many others who have signed in

                                OPENING SONG WITH PRAYER

                                Bringing In The Sheaves. By Knowles Shaw in 1874; however,
                                the music here was written by George A. Minor in 1880.
                                http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/b/r/bringing.htm

                                "Dear Father In Heaven, we rejoice greatly to see new ones coming in around the world before Your spiritual throne. It is pleasing to see the results in India, a nation with 1.3 billion people. It officially has 2.3% Christians but when Secret Christians are included up to 6%, that is from about 26 million to 67 million followers of Your Son, Jesus Christ. May we do our own part here, asking that others also place their belief and reliance on Jesus Christ in whose name we pray, Amen."

                                OUR WEEKLY BIBLE READING

                                As customary pray we each seek to make some manner of personal application as we hear what Paul says at 1 Corinthians 2:

                                1 "When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God.[a] 2 For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3 I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. 4 My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, 5 so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power."

                                As said, we each make a personal application. For myself the message is one of speaking with the power of God which for myself is the power of Love, not as words which are puffs of air but the reality of doing things that actually help people, being upbuilding, comforting, providing food to the hungry.

                                For some reason I think of Joseph of Arimathea, who like many in India today, was a Secret Christian out of necessity, but who was empowered acted boldly upon Christ's death to take up the Lord's body to an honorable tomb. May God's Spirit act powerfully in the lives of all of us, however that may be.

                                CLOSING SONG WITH PRAYER

                                Hark The Herald Angels Sing. Charles Wes¬ley wrote the words
                                in 1739. The music came from Felix Mendelssohn.
                                http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/h/h/a/hhangels.htm

                                "Beloved Father, in our hearts and minds we do indeed listen to the joyful proclamation made by angels as said in the book of Luke that for us Your Son, Jesus Christ, was born and has become rightfully elevated as our spiritual King among and throughout the nations! As we now go to fellowship and then into the week, may this joyful news remain with us and may we also be encouraged to share it with others by invitation and by hands that eagerly help those in need. Through Christ we pray, Amen."

                                RECIPE FOR FELLOWSHIPPING OCCASIONS

                                Roasted Vegetable Pasta: http://www.garvick.com/recipes-fps/chi2f104.htm

                                RELIGION NEWS

                                CTV.ca spotlight hits Hamilton, Ontario's Dominion Christian Centre http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061027/wfive_pied_piper_061027/20061117?hub=WFive&pr=showAll

                                A member of the Board of Regents for Oral Roberts University says
                                any needed corrections will be made. A lawsuit filed three former
                                professors include allegations that Oral Robert's son Richard
                                Roberts and his family misspent university and Oral Roberts
                                Ministries money. http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19622/oral-roberts-
                                university-8

                                A Utah judge has threatened attorneys with contempt of court for
                                making unwanted and or harassing calls to jurors dealing with now
                                convicted polygamy cult head Warren Jeffs
                                http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19624/warren-jeffs-84

                                Uganda: Mbale Cult Leader Arrested. He had withdrawn his five
                                children from school protesting the issuance of personal
                                identification number (PIN) to the candidates, done to fight
                                corruption. http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19628/apollo-paulo-wazaba

                                Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter has told CNN's Wolf Blitzer he
                                doesn't just think President Bush has authorized torture which may
                                be in violation of international laws but knows it. He also said
                                that he believe the U.S. should be out of Iraq in 18 months.
                                http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19619/us-human-rights-violations-7

                                Discussion of Tennesse Mother's SDA religion dominates child custody
                                hearing then judge gives custody to the child's father
                                http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19634/seventh-day-adventism-2