RE: Christian Cemeteries Pakistan Searching for a Grave

  • Mac and Rita MacDonald
    Message 1 of 12 , May 8, 2009

      Dear Peter

      I have been watching with great interest your request unfolding, and thrilled to learn that you found all the details you required, and that Margaret and Doug have the information about their daughter Pam, and probably by this time, a photograph of her grave.  This email is just to say thank goodness for lovely folk like Ali Khan, Dr. Ali Jan and Susan Farrington who are always ready to help people far and wide.  They found for me the deaths and gravestones of two of my great-granddaughters who both died there in 1888  in Rawalpindi for which I was completely overwhelmed – bless them all.

      Regards

      Rita

      Message 2 of 12 , May 8, 2009
        Dear Rita, I sincerely thank you for your mail and as I am sure you can imagine the initial task of finding a grave in Rawalpindi with, at the time, skant information that was probably jaded by time and memory was, I felt, quite daunting.  It is without any shred of a doubt that purely because of, as you say, Ali Khan, Dr. Ali Jan, Albert Godin, Susan Farrington and others the task was made so much easier and I am overwhelmed by their personal involvement and kindness.  Rita, as you quite rightly say, they are a group of very special people and on behalf of Doug and Margaret Gillot it gives me the utmost pleasure to say a heartfelt thank you.

        Regards,

        Peter M. Hoyes

[...]

      • P and J Lumley
        Message 3 of 12 , May 10, 2009

          Sorry not knnown

          Message 4 of 12 , May 10, 2009
            Sorry not know
            Message 5 of 12 , May 11, 2009

              Sorry not known

              Message 6 of 12 , May 29, 2009

                BACSA has a vast archiveof photographs.  Some of them are in the British Library (the link to the catalogue is available on the BACSA web site).  I also know that Sue Farringdon herself has a very large number of photos.  I'm not sure if she does personal requests though, and I don't have any contact details for her.  You could try through BACSA somehow.

                Best regards

                John

                Micheal, so many thanks for the information that is very much appreciated and I will pass this information to Doug and Margaret.  Would you haven to know if there is a photograph of the grave stone?

                Many thanks and regards,

                The BACSA publication “Rawalpindi Cemeteries & Churches” (Susan M
                Farrington) confirms that Pamela was buried in Rawalpindi – in Harley Street
                Cemetery (which is in the cantonment). The inscription reads:
                Pam Elizabeth Gillot
                Passed away 26 Jan 1960
                Deeply missed by Mummy, Daddy, Diana and Peter.

                I hope that this is of some help.

                Regards,

                Michael

                .