Searching for a Grave

  • peter_hoyes2003
    Message 1 of 12 , May 6, 2009
      I am looking for a photograph of the Grave of Pam or Pamela Gillot who was buried in 1959 in a cemetery that I believe is in Rawalpindi and probably the cemetery is on The Mall, although this is not confirmed. The reason for this request bis that I am the ex-son in law of the parents of Pam and they are presently residing in England but because of their age and fragility they are unable to conduct this search but they would be very happy to see a photograph of their daughter's grave before they pass on. A wish for two wonderful old people.
    • Michael Richards
      Message 2 of 12 , May 7, 2009
        The BACSA publication “Rawalpindi Cemeteries & Churches” (Susan M
        Farrington) confirms that Pamela was buried in Rawalpindi – in Harley Street
        Cemetery (which is in the cantonment). The inscription reads:
        Pam Elizabeth Gillot
        Passed away 26 Jan 1960
        Deeply missed by Mummy, Daddy, Diana and Peter.

        I hope that this is of some help.

        Regards,

        Michael
        Message 3 of 12 , May 7, 2009
          Micheal, so many thanks for the information that is very much appreciated and I will pass this information to Doug and Margaret.  Would you haven to know if there is a photograph of the grave stone?

          Many thanks and regards,

          Message 4 of 12 , May 7, 2009
            Peter,
            I may be able to help you. Please contact me off line at ilstennis@... .
            I live in Pindi and if there is a grave we should be able to find it. Please give the exact spellings of the deceased.
            Ali Khan
          • Michael Richards
            Message 5 of 12 , May 7, 2009
              Thank you, Peter.

              I'm sorry, the book has no photograph of this grave, but I note that Ali has
              offered to help you. Susan Farrington gives the following reference for the
              plot: X/769.

              Regards,

              Michael

              Message 6 of 12 , May 7, 2009
                Micheal, thank you again for the information which is very much appreciated.  I have just spoken to my son who is with his grandparents at the moment and they are overwhelmed by the information which will undoubtedly bring many memories for them.  Margaret and Doug had three children, Pam, Diana and Peter and, unhappily, Peter died shortly after they returned to England which, I'm sure, compounded the sadness for the family that had already suffered the tragedy of the death of Pam.  Both Margaret and Doug are now very old and extremely fragile and it is not expected that Doug will survive for much longer and I know that this has given them an immense amount of pleasure and a few tears which could only be expected.

                May I thank you again and on behalf of Margaret and Doug,

                With my best regards,

                Peter

                I am looking for a photograph of the Grave of Pam or Pamela Gillot who was
                buried in 1959 in a cemetery that I believe is in Rawalpindi and probably
                the cemetery is on The Mall, although this is not confirmed. The reason for
                this request bis that I am the ex-son in law of the parents of Pam and they
                are presently residing in England but because of their age and fragility
                they are unable to conduct this search but they would be very happy to see a
                photograph of their daughter's grave before they pass on. A wish for two
                wonderful old people.

              • Mac and Rita MacDonald
                Message 7 of 12 , May 8, 2009

                  Dear Peter

                  I have been watching with great interest your request unfolding, and thrilled to learn that you found all the details you required, and that Margaret and Doug have the information about their daughter Pam, and probably by this time, a photograph of her grave.  This email is just to say thank goodness for lovely folk like Ali Khan, Dr. Ali Jan and Susan Farrington who are always ready to help people far and wide.  They found for me the deaths and gravestones of two of my great-granddaughters who both died there in 1888  in Rawalpindi for which I was completely overwhelmed – bless them all.

                  Regards

                  Rita

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 8, 2009
                    Dear Rita, I sincerely thank you for your mail and as I am sure you can imagine the initial task of finding a grave in Rawalpindi with, at the time, skant information that was probably jaded by time and memory was, I felt, quite daunting.  It is without any shred of a doubt that purely because of, as you say, Ali Khan, Dr. Ali Jan, Albert Godin, Susan Farrington and others the task was made so much easier and I am overwhelmed by their personal involvement and kindness.  Rita, as you quite rightly say, they are a group of very special people and on behalf of Doug and Margaret Gillot it gives me the utmost pleasure to say a heartfelt thank you.

                    Regards,

                    Peter M. Hoyes

[...]

                  • P and J Lumley
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 10, 2009

                      Sorry not knnown

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 10, 2009
                        Sorry not know

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 11, 2009

                          Sorry not known
[...]

                        • John Kendall
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 29, 2009

                            BACSA has a vast archiveof photographs.  Some of them are in the British Library (the link to the catalogue is available on the BACSA web site).  I also know that Sue Farringdon herself has a very large number of photos.  I'm not sure if she does personal requests though, and I don't have any contact details for her.  You could try through BACSA somehow.

                            Best regards

                            John

                            .

                            http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=13093234/grpspId=1705666108/msgId=51/stime=1241691592/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3