Burial at Ferozepore

  • martinatremap
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 11, 2007
      Hi - many apologies for the length of this story but I feel, if anyone
      is going to be able to help, you might need a bit of context here!!

      I am trying to research my Great Grandfather who died whilst 'serving
      with the British Army in India' in the late 1890's. The family has no
      real detailed information about any of this period although our family
      understanding is that my Grandfather (John Frederick Perry) was born in
      India in 'Rawal Pindi' and was then orphaned (It is assumed that my
      Great Grandmother must have been with my Great Grandfather and also
      died in the same period?) Our family have always believed that an RSM
      brought the orphaned John back to Britain and brought him up as his
      own. His name was 'Gomer'. No more family info has ever been known; I
      am trying to piece the story together as best I can

      I know that John (my grandfather) was born in 1895, went on to join the
      Queens Royal West Surreys and fought with the BEF from October 1914
      right through the war, suffering a lost eye and bayonet wounds to his
      stomach. I have been researching his exploits for over a year and now
      find myself back in India at the turn of the century!

      I have researched the ecclesiastical records at the British Museum and
      have discovered that there is a record for the death of an Arthur
      Perry, aged 22 and a private in the Queens Royal West Surreys who died
      on the 23rd June 1895 and was buried in Ferozepore. I have also
      discovered a baptism record in 1900 in Rawal Pindi, for a son of a
      Walter Edward Gomer (Band Sergeant) on a page with other 'Queens' -
      this could be, I believe, my RSM who eventually took my Grandfather
      back to London. These records seem, at least, to place everyone with
      the same Regiment, in the right place at the right time! There is
      however, no record of any death for a 'Mrs' Perry during this period.

      Questions:

      1. Is it likely that the cemetery still exists today at Ferozepore and,
      if so, is there any way of obtaining any more information about this
      Arthur Perry?
      2. Would anyone understand why I can find no record of my Great
      Grandmother?

      Once again, apologies for the length of this tome, and thank you for
      reading this far!

      Any help would be gratefully received.

      Thank you

      Martin
    • Ali Khan
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 11, 2007
        I live in Rawalpindi and may be able to asist.
        Ali

      • Martin Perry
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 11, 2007
          Hello Ali

          Thank you for your response, and I'd really appreciate anything that you can do to help - is there any more information that you need from me?

          Kind regards

          Martin

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2007
            Hi Ali

            Are you able to assist in any way at all? Really appreciate it if you could!

            Many thanks

            Martin