Nowshera

  • Adele
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 7, 2006
      Hi - new member here. My great-grandfather was in the British army in India from 1879 to about 1896. He married there and had a family. While he was stationed in Nowshera, his wife and infant daughter died. Here are the details:

      Grace Vidler (maiden name Newland) passed away 12 Mar 1894. Cause of death: "Remittent fever"

      Cora Beatrice Vidler, born about 12 Mar 1894, passed away 12 April 1894. Cause of death: "Inflam. Stomach - Acute" (I assume that means inflamed stomach)

      I am hoping that someone can help with where they would have been buried? Would it have been a custom then to place markers - either wood or stone - on the graves? I wasn't sure how that NCO's families (I believe my gt-grandfather was a sergeant by that time)

      thanks in advance

      Adele
    • amclenn1
      Message 2 of 10 , May 7, 2009
        I'm still hoping to get a photograph or photographs of 2 people buried in Nowshera: My great-grandmother, Grace Vidler, who passed away 12 March 1894 and her infant daughter, Cora Beatrice Vidler, who passed 12 April 1894. My great-grandfather, Herbert Jesse Vidler, was in the British army at that time, stationed in Nowshera.

        thanks
        Adele
      • amclenn1
        Message 3 of 10 , May 7, 2009
          --- In ChristianCemeteriesPakistan@yahoogroups.com, "amclenn1" <amclenn1@...> wrote:

          > I'm still hoping to get a photograph or photographs of the grave stones for 2 people buried in Nowshera: My great-grandmother, Grace Vidler, who passed away 12 March 1894 and her infant daughter, Cora Beatrice Vidler, who passed 12 April 1894. My great-grandfather, Herbert Jesse Vidler, was in the British army at that time, stationed in Nowshera.
          >
          > thanks
          > Adele

        • P and J Lumley
          Message 4 of 10 , May 10, 2009
            Sorry not known
            > I'm still hoping to get a photograph or photographs of the grave stones for 2 people buried in Nowshera: My great-grandmother, Grace Vidler, who passed away 12 March 1894 and her infant daughter, Cora Beatrice Vidler, who passed 12 April 1894. My great-grandfather, Herbert Jesse Vidler, was in the British army at that time, stationed in Nowshera.
            >
            > thanks
            > Adele

          • amclenn1
            Message 5 of 10 , May 10, 2009
              Sorry, forgot to add that I believe their names were placed on a monument for the Bedfordshire Regiment - in Nowshera (cemetery)

              --- In ChristianCemeteriesPakistan@yahoogroups.com, "P and J Lumley" <pandjlumley@...> wrote:

              > Sorry not known

            • P and J Lumley
              Message 6 of 10 , May 11, 2009
                Sorry not known
                Message 7 of 10 , May 11, 2009

                  Please stop all of these ‘sorry not known’ messages –  they are clogging up my inbox as it must be for everyone else!!

                  > I'm still hoping to get a photograph or photographs of the grave stones for 2 people buried in Nowshera: My great-grandmother, Grace Vidler, who passed away 12 March 1894 and her infant daughter, Cora Beatrice Vidler, who passed 12 April 1894. My great-grandfather, Herbert Jesse Vidler, was in the British army at that time, stationed in Nowshera.
                  >
                  > thanks
                  > Adele

                  This email was received from the INTERNET and scanned by the Government Secure Intranet anti-virus service supplied by Cable&Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2007/11/0032.) In case of problems, please call your organisation’s IT Helpdesk.

                  The information in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may be subject to legal professional privilege. Unless you are the intended recipient or his/her representative you are not authorised to, and must not, read, copy, distribute, use or retain this message or any part of it. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately.

                  HM Revenue & Customs computer systems will be monitored and communications carried on them recorded, to secure the effective operation of the system and for lawful purposes.

                  The Commissioners for HM Revenue and Customs are not liable for any personal views of the sender.

                  This e-mail may have been intercepted and its information altered.

                  The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Cable&Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2007/11/0032.) On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free.
                • P and J Lumley
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 13, 2009
                    Sorry not known jl

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 13, 2009

                      As previously requested: Please stop all of these ‘sorry not known’ messages as they are clogging up my inbox. Therefore, it must be doing the same for everyone else on this mailing list. If you do not know or have the information people are requesting then surely – there is no need to reply!!!!!!!!!!!!

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 13, 2009
                        I agree with Joanne. If you don't know please DON'T tell us you don't know. If we put a request in this list it's for someone who might be able to help us. If you can't, please keep quiet.