Murree Cemetery

  • hurryhome2me2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2004
      Having read about the destruction going on in different cemeteries
      I wonder if someone can tell me how the Murree Cemetery is faring.
      My ancestor Alexander McLeod Stewart was buried there in 1886.

      regards from,
      Annabelle in Devon.
    • alijan98
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 29, 2004
        Dear Annabelle,

        Welcome to our mailing list. Hope we are able to help you.

        Regarding your query please note:

        1. There are a total of 16 cemeteries in and around Murree (all fully
        recorded by Sue Farrington of BACSA a few years ago)
        Do you have a specific name of the cemetery.
        I think it is likely that individual photographs of gravestones were
        also recorded just like in the Peshawar Cemetery document by BACSA,
        but this needs confirmation.

        2. Do you have any other details of your ancestor? General interest.

        3. The Murree cemetery condition although has deteriorated in the
        last 50 years as one would expect because of general negligence but
        many graves are still preserved. I have old/ historical photos of the
        cemeteries from 100 years ago and recent ones.

        Please have a look in the PHOTOS section of
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ChristianCemeteriesPakistan/ in the
        Murree Cemetery folder

        and also take a look at the following site to get an idea:

        www.geocities.com/scn_pk/murree_cemetery.html

        Best of luck with your search!

        AJ

        --- In