Re: What Ever Happened To God?/

  • David Leon
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
      Rev,

      See my first reactions--"less formal" replies--below..

      --- In christian-philosophy@yahoogroups.com, "revolutionary869"
      <revolutionary869@y...> wrote:

      > Greetings Dave:
      >
      > Trusting that this message finds you well and in good spirits.
      Happy
      > New Year! May the peace pf God be with you.
      >
      > Please forgive my absence my wife and I gave birth to a new
      angel.
      > She was born Jan 5. We are still euphoric about her arrival. The
      > giddy warmth we feel is amazing.

      Well, that is a good way to herald your reply to me, after the
      initial greeting. It is also a good way to excuse your absence!
      Many blessings and good hopes to you, your wife, and your little
      girl, indeed. My little boy is not yet 1 year old, so his infancy is
      still relatively fresh in my OWN mind.. I still sometimes stare,
      with almost increasing warmth, at one of our pictures of his little
      head resting so peacefully into my chest the day we brought him home
      from the hospital.

      > Question:
      >
      > Are you familiar with a esoteric community in early Palestine
      called
      > the Essenes? If so, are you familiar with a leader they refer to
      as
      > the Teacher of Righteousness? Have you read any literature that
      > illustrates comparisons between this Teacher and Christ? How do
      you
      > feel about the unique similaritis? Do these comparisons affect the
      > foundation of Christian History?

      Well, I suppose I should say that I am introduced to those concepts,
      yes, but no, not "familiar". I will need to do some quick research
      to either remind me of some things I may have forgotten that I
      heard, or to simply introduce me to more of the basics. I hope that
      is ok, and you do not necessarily expect my answer to be watered
      down just because I don't have thoughts for you right off the bat. I
      will not try to give you some false sense of my own research, just
      because I go out and read a few passages from
      wherever! ..Besides, "with faith [or eyes] as a little child" though
      an adult, right? I'm not looking to complicate the world, or puff
      up myself.. at least not consciously - quite the opposite.

      But the short answer is that I wanted to reply to the things you
      wrote in this message, but will need to get back to you later on the
      theological/philosophical material. To that end..I've one more reply
      below.

      > Waiting for your thoughts on these issues.
      >
      > Hope you are doing well. You expressed that you are in the
      > military. Have you been assigned to that place we are now involved
      > with or are you stateside?
      >
      > Whereever you are God be with you and yours.

      Thank you..very much..and with you as well. But briefly, I am
      actually in Kuwait right now. I spent about 3 months in Baghdad,
      actually, until about the middle of December. I am scheduled to stay
      here in Kuwait until September. But I will suffice my comments on my
      current status..to simply say that I am currently trying to get out
      of the military, due to the development or solidification of non-
      violence beliefs in my own mind, as of late. So...that's a whole
      other story.

      But I will get back to you on the Essenes and their Teacher of
      Righteousness! ..Thank you much for your good news from your
      personal life, and for your productive reply.

      Many Blessings,
      Dave
    • David Leon
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 19, 2006
        Rev,

        Sorry it's been a while. Of course, my excuse is that I've been
        busy. ..See my replies about the Essenes, etc., below.

        <revolutionary869@...> wrote:

        > Greetings Dave:
        >
        > Trusting that this message finds you well and in good spirits.
        Happy
        > New Year! May the peace pf God be with you.
        >
        > Please forgive my absence my wife and I gave birth to a new
        angel.
        > She was born Jan 5. We are still euphoric about her arrival. The
        > giddy warmth we feel is amazing.
        >
        > Question:
        >
        > Are you familiar with a esoteric community in early Palestine
        called
        > the Essenes?

        Yes. It's all somewhat theoretical, like literally everything in
        life can seem to be sometimes. But yes, I've now read at least more
        than I had prior, about them.

        > If so, are you familiar with a leader they refer to as
        > the Teacher of Righteousness?

        Yes. I'd heard mention of him before. And I haven't read any books,
        yet, for more in-depth studies or opinions on "him." But it seems it
        is relatively easy to find mentions of him in people's
        research..even on unrestricted websites on the internet.

        > Have you read any literature that
        > illustrates comparisons between this Teacher and Christ? How do
        you
        > feel about the unique similaritis? Do these comparisons affect the
        > foundation of Christian History?

        Well...I don't know if you REALLY want my views on these
        things. ..Ha. But I will try to get across to you the angle that I
        have chosen to share with you at this point.

        Personally, I question the idea that christianity should have ever
        been formed into the formal religion that it was. But, I do not
        question that formality in terms of historical development as much
        as moral development, so to speak. That is, in theory we shouldn't
        have ever needed to turn christianity into a progression of state
        religions which in turn became traditions devoid of consideration
        for fellowmen and traditions relatively supporting greed. But
        history tells us otherwise. And until we realize why and how and why
        we shouldn't repeat some of those same misunderstandings of
        religion, we may repeatedly do somewhat the same twisting of
        religion, in different formats.

        Was Jesus "unique"? Was Jesus paralleled to this Teacher of
        Righteousness? Should we view Jesus as synonomous with this Teach of
        Righteousness, instead? What do these questions have to do with the
        Divinity of Jesus?

        Well, it certainly seems that Jesus was not unique in the sense of
        not relating at all to the culture, religion, or styles of other
        teachers. I think that the only reason that we have sometimes
        assumed him to be unique in that unrelated-to-culture sense, though,
        is that we feel the programmed need to uphold views of his divinity
        which have been more-or-less pushed onto us by religious and
        political elites. Putting a religion in co-operation with the
        philosophy of the State provides both a confusing dualism and the
        appearance of concern for the whole of a each citizen's being and
        experience. Both the confusing dualism and the appearance of concern
        can be used as tools to keep the citizen/denizen/servant thinking
        that he is dependent upon the State (meaning the relative royalty or
        more privileged within a Society).

        Yes, I must admit, my political theory nowadays blends with my
        religious studies and other historical studies. That is why I do not
        want to jump off into the deep of some of my views from the get go.
        I might scare you off. :-) But seriously, I think that what I have
        written here already, is "deep" for most people I have run into.
        So..relating that to Jesus - well, you will have to tell me if you
        are even interested in relating politics to religion, or Jesus to
        different cultural scenarios.

        At any rate, I think that the relevant question about Jesus in
        comparison to Essenes and other apparent cultures is, What was Jesus
        teaching in COMPARISON to these various religious communities and
        perhaps other communities? The reason that I think that to be the
        first relevant question is that it seems that the Jesus of the
        Biblical Gospels was not necessarily a neo-priestly Teacher of
        Righteousness, as much as a progression or projection of the
        teachers, the priests, and the other types of characters we know of
        so far..both from Biblical literature as well as other literatures
        we have known about un-popularly and/or have re-discovered.

        I'm not sure at this point if I'm way off track...if you are not
        jiving with what I'm talking about. For one thing, it's been a few
        weeks until I've gotten around to this reply, obviously. Well.. I'll
        leave it at that for now. See if you're not too busy yourself, and
        where we can go from there.

        many blessings,
        Dave

        [remainder of message snipped]