Does God have emotions?

  • ebenezer12001 <geri811@surewest.net>
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2003
      An issue has come up at my church, re the statement "God does not
      have feelings."

      I would be very interested to hear it discussed on this list, as I
      know that many of you are very learned. The words anthropopathism and
      anthropomorphism have been used, as relates to the places in
      scripture that would seem to portray God as having feelings.

      Thanks so much for your help in this.

      Geri
    • ULRICHPUN7@tiscali.co.uk
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2003
        Dear Geri , I have myself been very distressed regarding such claims when I
        have encountered them .I believe that those who believe God does not have
        emotion are victims of a greek view of God unwittingly . I think aristotles
        god did not have emotion and certainly plato seemed to have a hierarchy
        connected yto his view of forms , which meant that the soul dealt with
        reason and emotion was denigrated in some sense as being sensuous and
        epemeral rather than eternal and contemplatory of the forms which the
        Philosopher contemplated in attaining knoeledge of universals . Thus poets
        got down gradfed thougfh Plato was him self rather poetic and literary as
        well as logical , so there seem to be inconsistencies and confusions in his
        thought . But we find such a hierarchical view of human nature in Watchman
        nee or Austin Sparks though not precisely equivalent to the platonic
        anthropology . Nonetheless , there is the tendency to place spirit above
        soul and soul above body and to down grade the body and emotion . The
        Emotions when merely human are said by nee to be soulish or carnal . Now the
        idea that God is without emotion and that it is anthropomorphic to imagine
        God to Possess emotion does not sit happily with our imaging God since ig
        Man was made in Gods image , God also must be truly personal , indeed the
        origin og true emotion , we his analogue . Of true emotion I meant to write
        . I am sure that THe Love God has for His Elect as pictured in THe Song Of
        Solomon cannot but be emotional and real . It is true that God is not taken
        by surprise and hence His emotions are not reactions inj the sense of
        surprise reactions since He had first to set His Love upon the Elect in
        Christ Jesus ere time began and prior to their creation . Nonetheless ,
        although Gods love is from all eternity and not a reaction in time this
        hardly invalidates its reality . God demonstrates His Love for us in this in
        that whilst we were yet sinners CHrist died for us . This real and true love
        is feelingful surely ,albeit eternal and un changing , and does not cancel
        out the two way nature of a real relationship by reason of its decreed
        status ,since it has moment to moment applications which God effects by
        taking on the appearence of temporal reaction for our saKES .But it is the
        moment to moment temporality that is an appearence only and not the love
        itself such that the anthropomorphizing pertains only to the temporality
        projected on Gods putative reactions ----The love is genuine and eternally
        felt and is not unlike our feelings save for its immutability and holy
        purity . God would be impersonal if He had no feelings and this would be an
        evil ,rendering him like doctor whos cyber men . tO EQUATE REASON AS THE
        PRIME CONSTITUENT OF PERSONALITY AS gORDON cLARK SEEMS TO DO IS SURELY TO BE
        UNDER A PARTLY GREEK SPELL The capital letters I only just saw and are
        accidental when I looked up I had hit the capital key by accident . Although
        God is exactly just , He is never impersonal nor indifferent , but cares
        about His Elect over the details of our lives . I think to believe other
        wise is to live with a distorted image of God that can only cause
        psychological harm . Yours Sincerely Ulrich
        > An issue has come up at my church, re the statement "God does not
        > have feelings."
        >
        > I would be very interested to hear it discussed on this list, as I
        > know that many of you are very learned. The words anthropopathism and
        > anthropomorphism have been used, as relates to the places in
        > scripture that would seem to portray God as having feelings.
        >
        > Thanks so much for your help in this.
        >
        > Geri

      • Geri
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2003
          At 03:18 PM 2/1/03, you wrote:
          >Dear Geri , I have myself been very distressed regarding such claims when
          >I have encountered them .I believe that those who believe God does not
          >have emotion are victims of a greek view of God unwittingly .

          I'm thinking that is the way it is. It seems that the Orthodox hold to
          this view.

          >I think aristotles god did not have emotion and certainly plato seemed to
          >have a hierarchy connected to his view of forms , which meant that the
          >soul dealt with reason and emotion was denigrated in some sense as being
          >sensuous and epemeral rather than eternal and contemplatory of the forms
          >which the Philosopher contemplated in attaining knoeledge of universals .
          >Thus poets got down graded thougfh Plato was him self rather poetic and
          >literary as well as logical , so there seem to be inconsistencies and
          >confusions in his thought .

          I have heard it said that the soul is "mind, will and emotion" and looked
          upon disparagingly by some persons or groups, in contrast to the spirit.

          >But we find such a hierarchical view of human nature in Watchman
          >nee or Austin Sparks though not precisely equivalent to the platonic
          >anthropology .
          >Nonetheless , there is the tendency to place spirit above
          >soul and soul above body and to down grade the body and emotion . The
          >Emotions when merely human are said by nee to be soulish or carnal .

          I don't know of Austin Sparks, but I do know about Watchman Nee and I can
          see that is true.

          >Now the idea that God is without emotion and that it is anthropomorphic to
          >imagine God to Possess emotion does not sit happily with our imaging God
          >since Man was made in Gods image , God also must be truly personal ,
          >indeed the origin of true emotion , we his analogue. Of true emotion I
          >meant to write . I am sure that THe Love God has for His Elect as pictured
          >in THe Song Of Solomon cannot but be emotional and real.

          There is such a mass of scripture that shows God to have feelings, His
          wrath, His jealousy over us, His compassion, His suffering (as Jesus) and I
          can't neglect the shortest verse in the Bible, Jesus wept.

          >It is true that God is not taken by surprise and hence His emotions are
          >not reactions inj the sense of surprise reactions since He had first to
          >set His Love upon the Elect in Christ Jesus ere time began and prior to
          >their creation .

          Also, He told the Hebrews that they were not chosen because of any other
          reason, except that He loved them.

          >Nonetheless , although Gods love is from all eternity and not a reaction
          >in time this hardly invalidates its reality . God demonstrates His Love
          >for us in this in that whilst we were yet sinners CHrist died for us .
          >This real and true love is feelingful surely ,albeit eternal and un
          >changing , and does not cancel out the two way nature of a real
          >relationship by reason of its decreed status ,since it has moment to
          >moment applications which God effects by taking on the appearence of
          >temporal reaction for our saKES .But it is the moment to moment
          >temporality that is an appearence only and not the love itself such that
          >the anthropomorphizing pertains only to the temporality projected on Gods
          >putative reactions ----The love is genuine and eternally felt and is not
          >unlike our feelings save for its immutability and holy purity . God would
          >be impersonal if He had no feelings and this would be an evil ,rendering
          >him like doctor whos cyber men . tO EQUATE REASON AS THE
          >PRIME CONSTITUENT OF PERSONALITY AS gORDON cLARK SEEMS TO DO IS SURELY TO
          >BE UNDER A PARTLY GREEK SPELL The capital letters I only just saw and are
          >accidental when I looked up I had hit the capital key by accident .

          No problem. Except I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here
          about a doctor. I think a person without emotion is a cold and callous
          person, without compassion and care for others. Such a god would not be
          one we could love, would it?

          >Although God is exactly just , He is never impersonal nor indifferent ,
          >but cares about His Elect over the details of our lives . I think to
          >believe other wise is to live with a distorted image of God that can only
          >cause psychological harm .

          I agree. I am trying to find a way to combat this erroneous teaching in my
          church. Thank you for your help.

          Blessings,

          Geri

          >Yours Sincerely
          >Ulrich

        • Geri
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2003
            Good thoughts, Ulrich.

            The logical conclusion, if God does not have emotion, would be that we also
            should be seeking to rid ourselves of them, as we try to rid ourselves of
            sin to be more like Him.

            Can you imagine a world of people without emotion?

            {Shudder!}

            Geri

          • ULRICHPUN7@tiscali.co.uk

            • ULRICHPUN7@tiscali.co.uk
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2003
                Dear Geri , The Lord Bless You in your agonising research into ways of
                combatting this popular error . I am glad you are enabled to believe in Gods
                real love and feelings . The soul definition you mentioned is indeed a
                popular heresy taught not only by Nee but many others largely copying nee
                and sparks . I once went through agonies when I came first across the claim
                thayt God did not feel and knew it conflicted with too much else but its
                poular with dead letter calvinists who learnt their calvinism from books
                rather than Prayer and the Bible firstly . God would not be personal as You
                note if He were all brain so to speak and no heart . Jesus wept is a great
                text for the occasion you are right . I hope you can be used of God to
                combat the killing tradition of a feeling free god . Ulrich

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • ULRICHPUN7@tiscali.co.uk
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 2, 2003
                  I agree . Unfortunately , many contemporary persons in our corrupt world are
                  rather cold calculating and apparently emotion free . In Nees case , I think
                  he believes not that all emotion is wrong but that only sanctified emotions
                  from our spirit are okay but in the dead reformed lobby some of them think
                  emotions have no place in god and they often dont have too many them selves
                  if they can help it but thats by no means all reformed it depends on just
                  how legalistic and fossilized they have become and how consistent they are
                  to their supposed beliefs about emotion . Gordon Clark seems to believe that
                  the image of God is primarily intellectual which I find peculiar buytt I
                  find anti intellectuals equally peculiar and imbalanced . I guess
                  christianity is a minefield of heresies which only the word of God can sort
                  out combined with much prayer . If any man will do his will he shall know of
                  the doctrine whether it be of God or not . But often only after agonoising
                  prayetr and waiting upon God in faith . Best Wishes Ulrich