What is the actual date of the writing of the "Book of Revelation" ?

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2014
      Dear Members,

      I have been rebuilding, configuring and data restoring two home computers for the last week or more. Good to be back here.  Welcome to all new Members !  Don't be shy, come and post your intro, comments, messages.  And that invitation is for all longer time members and those long-residing in LurKingdom !  Ha ha

      The date that the apostle John wrote the Book of Revelation can not be late -- not around A.D. 95 as some have claimed.   It was much earlier, and likely before A.D. 70.

      Here is what the supernal Fifth Epochal Revelation -- The Urantia book states on this:

      [No copyright, freely share]

      4. JOHN ZEBEDEE [in part, and my added comments are in these square brackets]

      Pages 1555D -1556A

      "This son of Zebedee [John] was very closely associated with Peter in the early activities of the Christian movement, becoming one of the chief supporters of the Jerusalem church. He was the right-hand support of Peter on the day of Pentecost.
      Several years after the martyrdom of James, John married his brother's widow.The last twenty years of his life he was cared for by a loving granddaughter. [See below that John died in A.D. 103 at Ephesus, so we know that in A.D. 83 - 103 he was not on the Isle of Patmos, he was being cared for by a loving granddaughter.]
      John was in prison several times and was banished to the Isle of Patmos for a period of four years until another emperor came to power in Rome. [Can the date be determined here?] Had not John been tactful and sagacious, he would undoubtedly have been killed as was his more outspoken brother James. As the years passed, John, together with James the Lord's brother, learned to practice wise conciliation when they appeared before the civil magistrates. They found that a "soft answer turns away wrath." They also learned to represent the church as a "spiritual brotherhood devoted to the social service of mankind" rather than as "the kingdom of heaven." - They taught loving service rather than ruling power--kingdom and king.
      When in temporary exile on Patmos, John wrote the Book of Revelation, which you now have in greatly abridged and distorted form. This Book of Revelation contains the surviving fragments of a great revelation, large portions of which were lost, other portions of which were removed, subsequent to John's writing. It is preserved in only fragmentary and adulterated form. [The ungodly negative portions were added by one or more human editors later.]
      John traveled much, labored incessantly, and after becoming bishop of the Asia churches, settled down at Ephesus. [Can we know the dates here?] He directed his associate, Nathan, in the writing of the so-called "Gospel according to John," at Ephesus, when he was ninety-nine years old. Of all the twelve apostles, John Zebedee eventually became the outstanding theologian. He died a natural death at Ephesus in A.D. 103 when he was one hundred and one years of age."