Divine Qualities

  • Aleksandar Katanovic
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2000
      The most profound quality in God is His infinite understanding. It is
      interesting that in the whole Bible the word "infinite" appears three times
      and only in the Old Testament. Of these three occurrences, only one is
      connected to a special attribute in God's nature. But more interesting
      thing is that it is not connected to God's power, but to His understanding:

      "Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite
      (Psalm 147:5)."

      It is certainly that God is Great in Power, but that would not imply, in
      the rigour of logic, that God is absolutely All-powerful, meaning that God
      is infinite in power. We should not confuse the concept of the infinity in
      power with the concept of Omnipotence. The infinity in power would mean the
      absolute Omnipotence. Omnipotence per se does not imply the infinity in
      power. Nowhere in the whole Bible it is stated that God is infinite in
      power, although it is said that God is omnipotent (Rev. 196). It is
      certainly that God is omnipotent or almighty. However we should be very
      careful in attributing to God, in the name of Omnipotence, some properties
      which would render God in fact less perfect. With omnipotence we do not
      mean that God can do something against His nature, for instance, that He
      can sin or lie, since the Bible explicitly says that it is impossible for
      God to do such acts (Heb. 618). Therefore we should not say that God is
      absolutely omnipotent/almighty, confusing the infinity in power with
      omnipotence.

      Instead, the word "infinite" is only once used in describing God, where God
      is described as infinite in understanding. It is strange that the Bible
      does not explicitly state that God is infinite in power, if it were true
      that infinity in power is a significant property of God, as some Christians
      would argue.

      "Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite." In
      the very verse there is two mentioned attributes of God, namely power and
      understanding. Which of them has the quality of infinity? It is interesting
      that it is not connected to the power in the very verse, where "infinity"
      is mentioned. It is connected to an understanding. Why is our Lord great?
      Psalmist answers us: "His understanding is infinite."
      What does this teach us? It teaches us that the Biblical God has an
      understanding of everything. That includes pain.

      In the virtue of the infinity in His understanding, we observe the profound
      characteristic of the Biblical God: The Divine Empathy. The Empathy is an
      action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and
      vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another
      of either the past or present. The Empathy is an act of understanding, and
      in God, this particular empathic understanding is infinite. Empathy is
      associated with an experience of every emotion and feeling, especially
      including those, which philosophers call qualia, the phenomenological raw
      feelings; the brute pain is a paradigmatic example per excellence in the
      contemporary discussion about the qualia within the philosophy of mind.

      The God of the Bible is the Longsuffering God (Makrothumia of God), cf. 1
      Pet. 3:20, 2 Pet. 3: 9. Makrothumia of God demonstrates a profound quality,
      which we should more ponder about, namely the quality of Divine
      Vulnerability through manifested Divine Perfect Empathy.

      Alex
    • jimdale827
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8, 2008

        According to the first email on this group the author states….

        [The most profound quality in God is His infinite understanding. It is interesting that in the whole Bible the word "infinite" appears three times and only in the Old Testament. Of these three occurrences, only one is connected to a special attribute in God's nature. But more interesting thing is that it is not connected to God's power, but to His understanding:]

        What kind of talk, rationality, reason, logic is this?  How the Dickens does he or anyone else know `the mind' of that which is the primordial cause of all things and its understanding?  Does he even know his own mind, consciousness, psyche, essential nature of being, and thoroughly; understand it all?  No human being even knows the sum of their self and all its potentials let alone the mind of another human being let alone the `mind' (assuming it is a MIND) which causes all things to appear and happen and is also responsible for all the energies which all this stuff is derived from?  If they keep this kind of talk up then Christianity is simply going to fade away in due cause like most all the other religions which have ever existed have done.  Does this not bother people?

        Human beings are becoming more aware, more tuned in to things, better educated, more experienced in these things, more intelligent all the time – evolution of both the physical and mental aspects of creation has not finished yet.  But human beings are just not going to put up with this kind or utterly ridiculous nonsensical talk for much longer. Christianity has been evolving for near on two thousand years and if it stops at that kind of attitude and make believe then it is going to become as extinct as the Dodo.  Does the author of that text even understand the mind of his own dog as well as he seems to know the mind of the infinite mystery at the base of all thing extant ?  If this is Christianity as it is now I think I will pull the plug and move on to something else.  I would remind the author that the power that be also gave us a brain to use and the abilty to think and reason.