New Video on the misinterpreation of a neuroscience experiment

  • Dennis Polis
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2011
      Hi All,

      Here is my newest video: #27 Neuroscience & Choice. It shows the error in a very persuasive BBC presentation based on an experiment supposedly undercutting free will, but actually showing nothing we did not already know, viz, that some of our actions start in the unconscious mind.

      Peace, Dennis
    • james m clark jr
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2011
        According to websters new lexicon a reference to Germany is all of a sudden regarded as a motherland rather than the fatherland... not exactly a unconscious choice of Germans but rather a ploy to eradicate the not so Christian tune of the German National anthem that has been criticized to politically inilate any trace of German historicism. It hahasn't died but yet dying by 1970 and a wall is all that fell since then.

        Recently a politician from Wisconsin stated that the international democracy of Lybia and Egypt was more democratic than the own state she represented... durring war!! She sure needs to be remind that Wisconsin is one of the greatest states in the free world.

        jmcjr

        --- In Christian-Philosophy@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Polis" <dfpolis@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Here is my newest video: #27 Neuroscience & Choice. It shows the error in a very persuasive BBC presentation based on an experiment supposedly undercutting free will, but actually showing nothing we did not already know, viz, that some of our actions start in the unconscious mind.
        >
        > Peace, Dennis

      • Dennis Polis
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2011
          Yes, it is a great state -- lived there.

          Peace, DP

        • Sbkidde@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 9, 2011
            Whether a country is called the fatherland or the motherland is not as significant as whether it is only being labelled one of the two in relation to a dictatorship (single party system).

            A democratic republic will tolerate variance in expression. Some people call it the fatherland. Some call it the motherland. Most people call it, the country. As long as any term is being used in a general frame of reference, none of the terms is offensive because a country made up of men, women and children can be referenced according to preference. As long as it is known that the country is being referenced, the sexual indicator is incidental.

            Even if a dictatorship calls the country the motherland, the term is offensive. It is not offensive because of the choice of sex. It is offensive because it implies that there is no choice but that which is dicatated to the people by the dictatorship.  Dictatorships do not endorse free speech. Thus, if some people refer to the country as something other than the "motherland," they can be punished for having done so. Being punished for such a choice is absurd beyond belief, but dictators and supporters of dictatorship do not allow for choices that differ from that which is being dictated.

            Currently, Germany is a democratic republic.
            This does not mean that Germany does not have to worry about extremism in politics. However ironically, the allied nations that "won" World War II have probably had larger struggles with dicatorship issues within our political structures than the former "axis" powers have had since they "lost" the war.

            Steve K.

          • Sbkidde@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 11, 2011
              james, others,
              Whether a country is called the fatherland or the motherland is not as significant as whether it is only being labelled one of the two in relation to a dictatorship (single party system).

              A democratic republic will tolerate variance in expression. Some people call it the fatherland. Some call it the motherland. Most people call it, the country. As long as any term is being used in a general frame of reference, none of the terms is offensive because a country made up of men, women and children can be referenced according to preference. As long as it is known that the country is being referenced, the sexual indicator is incidental.

              Even if a dictatorship calls the country the motherland, the term is offensive. It is not offensive because of the choice of sex. It is offensive because it implies that there is no choice but that which is dictated to the people by the dictatorship.  Dictatorships do not endorse free speech. Thus, if some people refer to the country as something other than the "motherland," they can be punished for having done so. Being punished for such a choice is absurd beyond belief, but dictators and supporters of dictatorship do not allow for choices that differ from that which is being dictated.

              Currently, Germany is a democratic republic.
              This does not mean that Germany does not have to worry about extremism in politics. However ironically, the allied nations that "won" World War II have probably had larger struggles with dicatorship issues within our political structures than the former "axis" powers have had since they "lost" the war.

              Steve K.

              According to websters new lexicon a reference to Germany is all of a sudden regarded as a motherland rather than the fatherland... not exactly a unconscious choice of Germans but rather a ploy to eradicate the not so Christian tune of the German National anthem that has been criticized to politically inilate any trace of German historicism. It hahasn't died but yet dying by 1970 and a wall is all that fell since then.

              Recently a politician from Wisconsin stated that the international democracy of Lybia and Egypt was more democratic than the own state she represented... durring war!! She sure needs to be remind that Wisconsin is one of the greatest states in the free world.

              jmcjr

              --- In Christian-Philosophy@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Polis" <dfpolis@...> wrote:

              > Hi All,
              >
              > Here is my newest video: #27 Neuroscience & Choice. It shows the error in a very persuasive BBC presentation based on an experiment supposedly undercutting free will, but actually showing nothing we did not already know, viz, that some of our actions start in the unconscious mind.
              >
              > Peace, Dennis

            • james m clark jr
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 12, 2011
                Due to bad weather issues in the U.S. this could be considered an initial statement as well as incomplete.

                Well said Steve O,

                Historicism aside from German historicism there are many examples past and present that is generally taken out of context and in many cases not updated or addressed for extended periods of time until taken notice. To some degree these fall in the catagory of revisonism or denialism rather than conspiracy... the UNESCO project itself came rather late. As a matter of of fact not until Generation X.

                According to one prediction I have not followed up on by 2015 the world population was estimated that the youth would out number the elders for the first time in recorded history. We haven't witnessed that yet although we are no strangers of the decline of morality, stability issues and constant intelectual engagements that arise to no real occasion and very little change.

                Cyrus had a version of Human rights that Islam claims...

                "Julius Caesar marveled at the number of Brit ships that were amassed against him in only two days, over 700. It impressed him so much he ordered his fleet into a defensive phalanx. That was the only time he ever took a defensive stance in his career. He escaped without major loss, so he called it a victory."

                jmcjr

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 12, 2011
                  James,

                  On population statistics: In any country, at any year you pick or project, the total youth population (under age 35) greatly outnumbers the total older population (over age 35).  So I don't understand your statement:

                  "According to one prediction I have not followed up on by 2015 the world population was estimated that the youth would out number the elders for the first time in recorded history."

                  You can easily get many data tables from this website.  Here is one for 2011 in the USA:

                  http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/idb/region.php

                  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/brother-dave0137

                  http://www.LedByJesus.org/   our newest Christian website

                  http://www.PureChristians.org/

                  PURE: Positive! Universal! Revealing! Enthusiastic! CHRISTIANS

> [...]

                  > Currently, Germany is a democratic republic.
                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany#Politics
                  > This does not mean that Germany does not have to worry about extremism in politics. However ironically, the allied nations that "won" World War II have probably had larger struggles with dicatorship issues within our political structures than the former "axis" powers have had since they "lost" the war.

                • james m clark jr
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 12, 2011
                    Thanks Dave,

                    However, that to may be a good example. I've always considered generation x because I have hearded it repeatedly throughout my life was around 1969 perhaps due to the first initial UNESCO project if I'm not mistaken was in 1970 to which I was refering to. I thought that was the excepted frame of historicism or scientific community and Indigenous community up until 1992 anyway regarding North America and countries as far south as the land down under.

                    As far as the world population 2015 projection that was according to the BBC durring later generations in SAm.

                    These figures of a generation seem more akin to a middle eastern concept of a generation of 40 yrs rather than closer to legal laws of the Western Societies of 16, 18 & 21 years reconing for a generation granting the babyboom generations in South America did come much later.

                    jmcjr

                  • Sbkidde@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 12, 2011
                      James, Dave, others,

                      The following film documents what a number of young people had to say about human rights. They speak about human rights in terms of social roles for males and females. It is apparent that they were not "coached" by those that filmed the video.

                      United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) film on Human Rights (12:43)
                      http://www.unesco.org/archives/multimedia/index.php?s=films_details&id_page=33&id_film=1804

                      Voting is a key human right in a constitutional society. It is a primary element in the definition of equality along with equal pay for equal work with allowances for differences in performance capacities. Women do some things better than men, men do some things better than women. Men should not be evaluated for being pregnant at work any more than women should have to be evaluated for producing semen. There are many work duties however that can be done in the same performance range with training. Communication is important in facilitating social interaction in public organizations.

                      Since young students are too young to vote or work full time, they need some kind of participation in school to help them to prepare to participate in a democratic society.  Many teachers have students make and post the rules of behavior for the classroom. Trust me. They receive coaching when necessary. The last part of the video interviews students from around the world to see if they participate in making their class rules.
                      The following link connects to a document that discusses "Africa and its Diaspora: Philosophical Dialogue between Africa and Americas."
                      Discussion is a key consideration in philosophy. Many people feel frustration when asked to learn by reading and writing. Discussion helps to make learning live in a visceral way. Intonation in language use and non-verbal clues are included in communication that uses speaking and listening. Discussion without guidance however often ends up paying lip service to points of agreement that have already been made without further investigation. Written work stimulates thought. It helps the reader to consider different forms of expression.

                      Videos also stimulate thought for dialog. Watching and listening to what other people have to say helps promote reflection on personal views of  that which is being discussed in the interviews. Hopefully, the link to the video posted above will contribute to the consideration of the importance of human rights in the world and the discussion of it in this philosophy forum.

                      FWIW, I am a big fan of Popper who criticizes historicism, yet I believe that philosophy gains clarity with the recognition of historical context. I don't believe that historical philosophy is the same as historicism. My read is that historicism promotes the belief that war and oppression are necessarily human because they recur throughout history.  Historical philosophy believes that ethical behavior recurs throughout history. It is the history of ethical behavior that serves as a model for future belief and behavior.

                      Steve K.

                    • Sbkidde@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 13, 2011
                        James, Dave, others,

                        According to the following source, UNESCO published "Manuals and Textbooks of Archives Administration and Records Management: A RAMP Study" in 1992.

                        Archives may seem like a tomb of doom, but they store written information with important factual data for historical research. It is not a secret that I am not a fan of the current Republican platform. I do believe that there is hope for the development of the political theory of the party in the form of a coherent policy that will articulate something beyond the "win the war" and "cut taxes" policies.

                        I have noted that modern republicanism for Americans started with our relationship with France. France established a constitution that promoted government that is for the people, by the people and with the people. France and England were resurrecting concerns for democratic government in the eighteenth century. It wasn't a question of IF government would be become democratic, it was WHEN and HOW. (For the record, I have read that the Hapsburgs had a kind of democratic imperialism, wherein they coordinated the political actions of kingdoms administratively.)

                        The formation of a platform may want to actually start with bi-partisan agreement. Then it can work outward gradually.  The current grandstanding and partisan disagreement that is practiced is counterproductive to the balance of powers.

                        It is well known that the right had gone on the offensive against the extremists on the left of the political spectrum in the US. McCarthyism was viewed with suspicion by moderates and liberals on the right, but a counteraction for extremists from the right has not been actively pursued. Thus, we have the current state of imbalance. The right promotes the interests of their extremists. The extremists on the left have been repressed.

                        Part of the difficulty is the lack of highly qualified politicians on the right. They have been trying to pass off former CEO's as legitimate political leaders. If the CEO's actually recognized the legitimacy of political processes and promoted community building with social responsibility, it would be conceivable that a former CEO could eventually become a good political leader. CEO's however are notorious for circumventing procedures and processes in order to get what they want. The practice dictatorship with rubber stamp democracy. Agreement with the CEO is expected. Disagreement is punished. Thus, the only choice that is presented as acceptable is agreement with the choice of the leader. Thus far, it has been individualism advocated to the extreme.

                        The party platform needs to focus on the application of constitutional principles of representation from a skeptical perspective. The democrats are the optimists, the active promoters of human rights. The right needs to represent human rights as well, but with a much more conservative reductionism towards Great Society standards.  They need to advocate for cuts with "a scalpel." Otherwise, the democrats need to run a campaign against fascists in the country in order to counteract the affective elimination of communists from the political spectrum.

                        The pledge of allegiance states that we are "one nation under God with liberty and justice for all." (Not just liberty and justice for big money as the special interest.)

                        Steve K.

                        However, that to may be a good example. I've always considered generation x because I have hearded it repeatedly throughout my life was around 1969 perhaps due to the first initial UNESCO project if I'm not mistaken was in 1970 to which I was refering to. I thought that was the excepted frame of historicism or scientific community and Indigenous community up until 1992 anyway regarding North America and countries as far south as the land down under.

                        As far as the world population 2015 projection that was according to the BBC durring later generations in SAm.

                        These figures of a generation seem more akin to a middle eastern concept of a generation of 40 yrs rather than closer to legal laws of the Western Societies of 16, 18 & 21 years reconing for a generation granting the babyboom generations in South America did come much later.

                        jmcjr

                        --- In Christian-Philosophy@yahoogroups.com, Brother Dave <truthist@...> wrote:

                        > James,
                        >
                        > On population statistics: In any country, at any year you pick or project, the
                        > total youth population (under age 35) greatly outnumbers the total older
                        > population (over age 35). So I don't understand your statement:
                        >
                        > "According to one prediction I have not followed up on by 2015 the world
                        > population was estimated that the youth would out number the elders for the
                        > first time in recorded history."
                        >
                        > You can easily get many data tables from this website. Here is one for 2011 in
                        > the USA:
                        >
                        > http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/idb/region.php
                        >

                        > Peace and progress in Spirit and in Father-Son Truth,
                        >
                        > Brother Dave
                        >

                        > http://www.blogtalkradio.com/brother-dave0137
                        >
                        > Each Saturday & Sunday 3PM CST live internet radio show
                        > All past shows are archived there to play.
                        >

                        > http://www.LedByJesus.org/ our newest Christian website
                        >
                        > http://www.PureChristians.org/
                        >
                        > PURE: Positive! Universal! Revealing! Enthusiastic! CHRISTIANS
                        >
                        > Gospel enlarging website,proclaiming worldwide the True Religion
                        > OF JESUS and ABOUT JESUS and IN JESUS

                        > Our large Christian-Philosophy Yahoo Group
                        >
                        > Come learn and share in one or all !

                      • james m clark jr
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 15, 2011
                          Shalom Haver,

                          The following except is from the end of an philanthropy article from the Council of Foundations entitled and listed April 14 2011:

                          Speaking about Race in Foundations: Getting Past the Conscious into the Unconscious By: Rick Cohen

                          "... But will the talking points connect only with the 2% of their brains that are the "conscious" and miss the 98% that is the unconscious, where individual, interpersonal, institutional, and structural attitudes and approaches toward race survive and thrive in contrast and often contradiction to the conscious mind?"

                          rest at:
                          http://www.cofinteract.org/rephilanthropy/?p=2847

                          I though about adressing this since there are no comments yet and it's sort of related to empericalism, denailism, revisionism, historicism, fundamentlism, and so on but first things first maybe I should wait and finish these other matters first.