Ethics and Species Propagation

  • TGGeko
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2010
      I am currently reading a story focusing on a member of a genetically manufactured sapient species. At the moment there are very few of them, so much so that they can not repopulate with out more members. The corporation responsible for their existence is waiting to see if they can be profitable before making more.

      Here's the question: Does the corporation have a moral obligation to provide them with enough members to be a successful propagating species? As I mentioned earlier this could require up to 500 members, a significant financial investment.

      Naturally we want our protagonist to have a happy ending, and thus we are inclined to make sure she can have a family, but this is where we are lead into the Paradox of Pain. It is impossible to hurt someone who doesn't exist. Her unborn children can't be hurt in any fashion because they don't exist yet. By not doing anything, the corporation is hurting no one.

      So the question remains, does the Corporation have any ethical obligation to make sure the species can survive?