Solomon, Socrates and Aristotle

  • wjt400
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2010

      Solomon, Socrates and Aristotle

      In Earliest Biblical Painting, Greek Philosophers Admire King's Wisdom

      by Theodore Feder

      http://www.bib-arch.org/e-features/solomon-socrates-and-aristotle.asp#

      You will enjoy this article about art from Pompeii (79a.d.) with slideshows .

      Enjoy,

      Will

    • Sbkidde@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2010
        So where did Plato go? Hello! Plato? Why aren't you hanging with the SSA? Must have been that coded support for dictatorship.

        Steve K.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2010
          Steve,
          What do you want to say about Plato?

          >Why aren't you hanging with the SSA?<

          What do you mean?

          Yes, it may have been a coded support for dictatorship.

          Blessings,
          Will

        • Sbkidde@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2010
            Will, others,
            SSA is a code (acronym) for Solomon, Socrates and Aristotle. Plato wasn't allowed in the SSA club as depicted at Pompei (79 CE) because of his political philosophy.

            Karl Popper was something of a quiet radical. His book, "The Open Society and Its Enemies" challenges the political philosophy of Plato and its influence throughout history. It is an impressive work. If the "Republic" is worth reading, then "The Open Society" is even more so.  One of the key objections to the work of Plato (and Aristotle) is their explicit support for slavery. Even though slavery has been outlawed in western society, there are those who still support it. They support it because it still exists in other parts of the world and they believe that it makes "easy money." The problem is that it makes money too easy for the slaveowners and subjugates other human beings to a life of subordination in the face of insufficient compensation for labor.

            I attended a lecture that Popper gave at Hampshire College in Amherst, MA. He opened the lecture with a joke about lemmings and democracy. Even though he had written this great book about an open society, he warned that going along with the crowd could be hazardous to your health. He followed this with a lecture about the value of science with references to discoveries that had been made in physics. He spoke clearly with an ironic smile. He was not a crazy radical with a soap box platform. He was not anti- or non-democratic. He simply pointed out that science is a counter-vailing power in a democracy. This principle of counter-vailing power is made in accord with the political philosophy of Democritus, Protagoras and Pericles. The critique of Plato is offered to correct those that use the political philosophy of Plato to promote dictatorship. Since Plato's anti-democratic stance is not explicitly stated in the Republic, it is important to challenge it to bring it to the attention of the public.

            The letter to the Galatians is considered by many to be an authentic work of the Apostle Paul. In other words, it is attributed to Paul because it was written by him. It was not written by someone else and attributed to him to affect a persuasion by the authority of his name. When Paul wrote that there is "neither slave nor free" in Christ (Gal.3:28), he made a radical claim in a historical period when slavery was believed to be a "spoil" of military conquest. Paul made reparations for the errors of his former zeal with his suffering for the gospel after his conversion. It took a long time, but his appeal to freedom from slavery has become the social norm for western civilization.

            Steve K.