Greetings, and words on progress

  • Stephen Finlan
    Message 1 of 369 , Feb 15, 2008
      I'd like to give my opening greeting to Andre and Dave and
      the others on this list. I am Stephen Finlan, a struggling
      author and biblical scholar (my books are easily locatable
      on the web, including being discussed on a number of blogs
      which are locatable just by googling my name).

      I hope to have some interesting interaction with you folks.
      I need to warn you, however, that I will not be able to go
      into lengthy discussions on anything, no matter how
      interesting the topic. My time is quite limited, so my
      postings will have to be brief. And I'll give an example
      here.

      Although there are violent images of God in the Old
      Testament, if one adopts the viewpoint Andre has (that the
      Bible tells the story of the gradual advance in the
      understanding of God) one learns to appreciate even some of
      the violent-sounding passages because they are ON THE ROAD
      to a better view of God. I am going to quote my latest book
      (_Options on Atonement_) on this subject: "Even the
      judgmental images of God are _legitimate_ stages in the
      evolution of the God-concept.... The insights that were
      necessary and appropriate for First Isaiah's time were that
      God is One, God is just, and human behavior will be
      rewarded or punished on the basis of its justice or lack of
      justice. That was an advance....
      "Amos and the other prophets, including the great
      prophets of Iran (Zarathushtra), China (Confucius), and
      India (Buddha) all found it necessasry to establish that
      one does not get away with wrongdoing....
      "We now have a more advanced scientific viewpoint than
      any of the biblical authors possessed. In prescientific
      ages, when God was blamed for everything that happened,
      tragedies were explained as punishments. With better
      scientific and philosophic tools, we no longer do that."
      page 116

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • heshmat kamal
      Message 369 of 369 , May 21 12:44 PM
      Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
      Happy Ascension feast and Pentecost feast, to all Christians in the whole world ,
      Attached with this message, 2 books :
      1] The first is “the shortcuts” of “Word” and “Windows 8”
      2] And the second book is called “To The Jews”, it is somehow like the epistle of St. Paul to the Hebrews , it is 40 pages, but it can be much longer, if someone has some time to write more details .  This book includes many good and important subjects , that can be very useful , not only to the Jews , the Hebrews , but also to all countries in the Middle East and in the whole world.  This book can be useful now, but it may not be useful except after many years, so please , whoever is interested , keep it with you .
      Thank you. God be with you.
      Please, always pray for me,
      Lord, please, always, whoever prays for me or loves me , give him good and great reward , as much as he loves me and prays for me, and also, do more good things to and for him,  Amen.
      Heshmat Kamal