Re: can someone tell me a bit more about this group and your backgrounds?

  • liang_jieming
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
      Hi Richard, welcome again.

      Glad to see you here too. CCO is a group which deals with
      contemporary chinese culture. I'll have to defer to Jane on this
      and let her give you the full description. :-)

      Jieming

      --- In ChineseCultureOnline@yahoogroups.com, "tigerboycanada"
      <tigerboycanada@y...> wrote:

      > Hello: I am a Canadian scholar quite familiar with modern East
      Asian
      > society and politics.
      >
      > I am just wondering about this group of yours that I
      > have recently joined: what topics are discussed here?
      > What are your academic backgrounds and what levels of
      > discourse are you expecting here?
      >
      > Thank you very much
      >
      > Richard
    • Jane
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2004

        Hi Richard!

        Good to see you hear and we look forward to more interesting exchange of ideas with you.

        Sorry I was not able to answer your post sooner, currently a lot of things require my attention.

        Our group is composed of people from different background, similar to DragonSeedLegacy. Actually a lot of members here are also members of DSL, as the two groups are very much related. We have professionals in all industries including myself who work at a Fortune 500 company as secretary/assistant to the CEO. Like yourself, we are all enthusiasts who have a genuine interest in China.

        We are here to talk about Chinese culture. Politics is not our main concern. We try to evade from political issues, but sometimes in an attempt to expose the society, for example, the historical background etc, citing of some political incidents seem to be unavoidable. And for this we understand.

        On Chinese culture, a few areas we particularly would like to put our effort on are:

        1. To explore Chinese culture. This would cover traditions, customs, festivals, history, arts and literature, architecture, myths and fables, cooking, philosophy, etc and etc.

        2. To catch the current trend in the Chinese society. This undertaking will be proceeded mainly by posting and discussing current events, news and stories.

        3. To present a picture of what's life likely in China. Of course, this has to be a very small or rough picture of what it is due to the limited exposure or experience of we presenters. As China is huge and life varies from place to place and person to person, it's almost imopssible to say what is life like in China as a whole. And we wish to reflect what is partially China by breaking the tip of an iceberg.

        4. (Finally and not lastly, ) To compare Chinese culture with western culture, and find similarities and or contrasts.

        By doing all of the above, our goal or purpose is NOT by any means to advocate superiority or inferiority, but rather to seek to understand and be understood. Civilization doesn't belong to one people, one nation, but to the mankind as a whole. As said once by a scholar, what's touching to the people of one nation must be touching to all. Cultures are interpreted in different ways - language and etc, but what��s not so different between all people  is the indomitable spirit of exploring the unknown and advancing the human civilization; to draw it closer to people��s life, it is the spirit that is reflected from our persistent pursuit of a better life which is apparent among all people, be it Easterners or Westerners. We have, indeed, one thing to embrace, that is, the goodness of human nature.

        While we focus our effort on discovering the positive sides of a culture or a people, we would also like to expose some of our pitfalls. And again, we are doing this in an attempt to better understand ourselves and let us better understood. When we look at today��s confrontation and disputes particularly between the East and the West, a lot of times we know they come rather from a lack of understanding or appreciation of things done differently. For this, we hope to harvest some more understanding amongst at least a group of members, and it��s of course our more ambitious hope that the few limited number of members in the group can influence the ��unlimited�� acquaintances in their life. After all, by participating in the group is not the end, but a start.

        To accomodate a goal that seems rather grand, obviously, we still have a lot of work to do, and you may say, it's a long journey home. As thus, we would appreciate the members who have always sticked with us no matter what can start taking roles as more active contributors. And to the few active members we say thank you.

        Ok, I hope I have made things clear. J Again, we are glad to have you join us and look forward to your possible contribution along with others.

        Sincerely,

        Jane

        PS: Jieming, I am sure you could have done a job better than me in answering this post of Richard's. :-) Nevertheless, your command is my wish. :-) I have taken the challenge pleasantly. ;-)

        <tigerboycanada@y...> wrote:

        > Hello: I am a Canadian scholar quite familiar with modern East
        Asian
        > society and politics.
        >
        > I am just wondering about this group of yours that I
        > have recently joined: what topics are discussed here?
        > What are your academic backgrounds and what levels of
        > discourse are you expecting here?
        >
        > Thank you very much
        >
        > Richard

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • liang_jieming
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2004
          Hardly a command!

          You did an excellent job just the same. I couldn't have put it more
          elegantly. :-)

          Jieming
          DragonSeedLegacy
          ChineseCultureOnline

          > PS: Jieming, I am sure you could have done a job better than me in
          answering this post of Richard's. :-) Nevertheless, your command is my
          wish. :-) I have taken the challenge pleasantly. ;-)

          > liang_jieming <kitmengleong@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Richard, welcome again.
          >
          > Glad to see you here too. CCO is a group which deals with
          > contemporary chinese culture. I'll have to defer to Jane on this
          > and let her give you the full description. :-)
          >
          > Jieming
          >

          > --- In ChineseCultureOnline@yahoogroups.com, "tigerboycanada"
          > <tigerboycanada@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello: I am a Canadian scholar quite familiar with modern East
          > Asian
          > > society and politics.
          > >
          > > I am just wondering about this group of yours that I
          > > have recently joined: what topics are discussed here?
          > > What are your academic backgrounds and what levels of
          > > discourse are you expecting here?
          > >
          > > Thank you very much
          > >
          > > Richard
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • ming18ming2003
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2004
            Hehe... Some humour intended. :-)

            Thank you!

            Jane

            --- In ChineseCultureOnline@yahoogroups.com, "liang_jieming"
            <kitmengleong@y...> wrote:
            > Hardly a command!
            >
            > You did an excellent job just the same. I couldn't have put it more
            > elegantly. :-)
            >
            > Jieming
            > DragonSeedLegacy
            > ChineseCultureOnline
            >

            > > PS: Jieming, I am sure you could have done a job better than me in
            > answering this post of Richard's. :-) Nevertheless, your command is
            my
            > wish. :-) I have taken the challenge pleasantly. ;-)
            > >

            > > liang_jieming <kitmengleong@y...> wrote:
            > > Hi Richard, welcome again.
            > >
            > > Glad to see you here too. CCO is a group which deals with
            > > contemporary chinese culture. I'll have to defer to Jane on this
            > > and let her give you the full description. :-)
            > >
            > > Jieming
            > >

            > > --- In ChineseCultureOnline@yahoogroups.com, "tigerboycanada"
            > > <tigerboycanada@y...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hello: I am a Canadian scholar quite familiar with modern East
            > > Asian
            > > > society and politics.
            > > >
            > > > I am just wondering about this group of yours that I
            > > > have recently joined: what topics are discussed here?
            > > > What are your academic backgrounds and what levels of
            > > > discourse are you expecting here?
            > > >
            > > > Thank you very much
            > > >
            > > > Richard
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT