Re: Would you explain this expression?

  • liang_jieming
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2004
      The dragon represents the masculine Yang while the phoenix represents
      the feminine Yin... two sides of the same coin. This duality of
      society is reflected everywhere in traditional confucian society...
      the male-female, the good-bad, the strong-weak, the left-right etc.

      Jieming

      --- In ChineseCultureOnline@yahoogroups.com, Jane
      <ming18ming2003@y...> wrote:
      > Rachel,
      >
      > You are quite welcome indeed. Feel free to ask anything. Also we'd
      love to hear from with what you can share with us. Your article on the
      Chinese pinyin and tones is well done.

      > i think the dragon king doesn't have another name, in Chinese he is
      refered as the dragon king or long2 wang2. In the myth, he has a
      palace where the shrimps, crabs, other animals in the water serve as
      soldiers or warriors and servants and etc.

      > Jane
      >
      > Rachel Tatner <rattat@s...> wrote:
      > Jane,
      >
      > Thank you so much! That was very helpful. Do you remember what the
      Dragon King's name was?

      > Rachel

      was the myth of the dragon king who lived underwater and was the head
      of all underwater lives. So if the parents want their son to become a
      dragon when they grow up is they wish their son to be on top of the mass.

      > The phoenix is a feminie feature. It's considered the head of all
      birds. There is a very famous painting called hundred birds picture
      where the phoenix is the middle of all the birds in the forest and the
      rest birds bowing or showing respect to the phoenix. So that's why the
      parents would want their daughter to become a phoenix which means an
      outstanding figure.