Re: [ChineseCultureOnline] Happy New Year!

  • Alessandro Ranieri
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 4, 2004
      Terrence,
      Ah, same to you. Happy New Year. I decided to leave the Hong Kong group because some of my posts were rejected by the moderators. Anytime they don't like what you are saying, they won't let the posts go to the rest of the members. I feel this is very unfair. This is a free society. You cannot dictate what some can say and what they can't.

      But I feel I have found a more suitable group in ChineseCultureOnline as I really want to learn about China, not Hong Kong.

      Alex.

      Terrence <tlc_56@...> wrote:
      Hey there Alex!

      Long time no see!  I hope that you are doing good and wish you a prosperous and happy new year.

      Terrence.

      --

      Terrence ÛÉèË ÂÙ¿ð (Anchorage, Alaska - USA)

      On 12/30/2003 11:31, "Alessandro Ranieri" <alexcranieri@...> posted:

      How do people in China bring in the new year? In the U.S., everyone goes to Times Square for the countdown. What do they do in China?

      Alex.

      Yahoo! Messenger <http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/mail/tagline_messenger/*http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com>  - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now <http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/mail/tagline_messenger/*http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html>
      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12ckuvir6/M=266841.4316200.5507732.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705043564:HM/EXP=1072902710/A=1911858/R=0/*http://www.lifescapeinc.com/picasa/landing.php?capid=222&caId=1987>

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Juan
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 5, 2004
        Dear Alex,

        Sorry for my belated response to your question on how the Chinese spend the New Year Eve. I think the average people just sit at home and watch the New Year Eve perforance organized by CCTV (China Central TV). This year the CCTV performance was held in Guangzhou, usually it's held in Beijing as Beijing is the capital city and that's where CCTV headquarter is based. It was hosted in both English and Chinese and broadcasted to China and the world thru CCTV-4 and CCTV-9. It's quite an international show, started with Samba from a Brazilian dance group, and had singers from China, Australia, South Africa, UK (the comedian Chaplin's grand-daughter) and so on, ended with a song called shaking hands with lyrics saying "shaking hands with the world". It's indeed a show that demonstrates the open-mindedness of the Guangzhou top officials of embracing other cultures in the world with Chinese culture. The show started at 10pm and ended not long after the new year bell rang.

        Hope you and all enjoy being in the group and.

        Jane

        Terrence <tlc_56@...> wrote:
        Hey there Alex!

        Long time no see!  I hope that you are doing good and wish you a prosperous and happy new year.

        Terrence.

        --

        Terrence 凵杷 沦筐 (Anchorage, Alaska - USA)

        On 12/30/2003 11:31, "Alessandro Ranieri" <alexcranieri@...> posted:

        How do people in China bring in the new year? In the U.S., everyone goes to Times Square for the countdown. What do they do in China?

        Alex.

        Yahoo! Messenger <http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/mail/tagline_messenger/*http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com>  - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now <http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/mail/tagline_messenger/*http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html>
        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12ckuvir6/M=266841.4316200.5507732.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705043564:HM/EXP=1072902710/A=1911858/R=0/*http://www.lifescapeinc.com/picasa/landing.php?capid=222&caId=1987>

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Alessandro Ranieri
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 5, 2004
          Jane,
          Thanks for replying to my question about New Year's. What a wonderful idea to ring in the new year. It promotes peace and friendship among all people in the world.

          May you have a Happy New Year.

          Alex.

          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 31, 2004
            Ah, just receive email from friend in Australia. It is New Year now.

            I have question. My Hong Kong friend told me that 20 years ago, the Hong Kong people did not take New Year very seriously. Few Chinese participate in countdown. He said Chinese New Year was big thing and New Year was just another day. Only Westerners would celebrate New Year in big way.

            But my friend said all this has changed. Maybe because of influence from Western culture. Now many Chinese celebrate and count down to New Year. It becoming even more important than Chinese New Year.

            Alex.

          • greatwallmarathon
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 31, 2004
              Happy New Year to everyone.It is never impossible that Jan.1 will
              become more important than Chinese Spring Festival.Chinese people
              celebrate Chinese New Year not just for a few hundred years,but for a
              few thousands year.Haha.Happy happy new year again today to everyone.

              Adam

              --- In ChineseCultureOnline@yahoogroups.com, Alessandro Ranieri
              <alexcranieri@y...> wrote:
              > Ah, just receive email from friend in Australia. It is New Year now.
              >
              > I have question. My Hong Kong friend told me that 20 years ago, the
              Hong Kong people did not take New Year very seriously. Few Chinese
              participate in countdown. He said Chinese New Year was big thing and
              New Year was just another day. Only Westerners would celebrate New
              Year in big way.

              > But my friend said all this has changed. Maybe because of influence
              from Western culture. Now many Chinese celebrate and count down to
              New Year. It becoming even more important than Chinese New Year.

              > Alex.
              >

              > ---------------------------------
            • Hyde Park
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 1, 2005
                Yes, Happy New Year to everyone.

                Alex, your Hong Kong friend is partly right. Thirty
                years ago, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day wasn't a
                big deal in Hong Kong. It was still a holiday, but the
                difference is that not many people gathered at public
                places to do the countdown. The major event then was
                the firing of a cannon along Hong Kong's waterfront,
                which was done by someone rich or famous. It is still
                done every year at the stroke of midnight Dec. 31, but
                it is not the only place to usher in the new year. I
                would say it is probably the 5th or 6th popular now.
                The main places where Hong Kong people like to ring in
                the new year are Lan Kwai Fong, an entertainment and
                dining area which is popular with expats; Times
                Square, a major shopping mall; and Tsimshatsui, along
                the waterfront.

                But I don't agree that New Year's has become more
                important than Chinese New Year. People do the
                countdown because it is a number and they know the
                next number will be "1." In short, it is fun. Most
                Chinese who follow the Chinese calendar treat Jan. 1
                as the 21st day of the eleventh month, meaning the
                next Chinee New Year will begin on Feb. 9. I'm not
                sure what determines when the new Chinese New Year
                begins. Perhaps Jane can shed some light on that.
                Also, what animal is next Chinese New Year?

                Hyde.

                Alexcranieri wrote:

                Ah, just receive email from friend in Australia. It is
                New Year now.

                I have question. My Hong Kong friend told me that 20
                years ago, the Hong Kong people did not take New Year
                very seriously. Few Chinese participate in countdown.
                He said Chinese New Year was big thing and New Year
                was just another day. Only Westerners would celebrate
                New Year in big way.

                But my friend said all this has changed. Maybe because
                of influence from Western culture. Now many Chinese
                celebrate and count down to New Year. It becoming even
                more important than Chinese New Year.

                Alex.
              • John Gerlach
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 2, 2005
                  Ha - even a poor Gwai Loh knows that Chinese New Year is also called the Lunar New Year (Lunar is an adjective from the Latin word for moon) because it is determined by the cycles of the moon which differ from year to year on the Solar Calendar (Solar is the adjective from the Latin word for Sun).

                  In early times it was easier to calculate time periods by the moon because its four distinct phases were clearly visible - depending on cloud cover :), so the Lunar Calendar was first developed. Only later in history did civilisations develop the Solar Calendar because Astronomers were able to fix the time it took for the Earth to complete each cycle around the Sun, so that the four Solar seasons of Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter could each be allocated three calendar months of the Year.

                  That is why we also have a Leap Year in the Solar Calendar because it was discovered that the early calculation of 364 days was not quite accurate - more closely 364.25, so they added a day to February every four years to bring the Solar Calendar back into line.

                  The Western celebration of Easter was also dependent on the Lunar Calendar originally. Even after the Christian Religion took it over as a celebration of Christ's death, burial and resurrection, they retained its Lunar characteristic so that Easter is still celebrated on a different day each year in the Solar Calendar. The Christians call Easter a 'Moveable Feast' as opposed to a Fixed Feast such as Christmas (the supposed birthday of Christ) which is celebrated each year on the 25th of December.

                  The Chinese (in common with other Lunar Year cultures) have accommodated themselves to the Solar Calendar because of its dominance in business, trade and global communications, but the Lunar New Year easily remains the most important event of their year wherever they happen to be in the World. This is true in Hong Kong, Beijing, Sydney or even New York.

                  Well, at least we have two opportunities to wish everyone 'San Nin Fai Lok' or Happy New Year!

                  John

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 2, 2005
                    Thanks for the explanation of the basis for the lunar based date for
                    the Chinese New Year John.

                    Just to add to this and answer the question raised, next year is the
                    year of the Rooster.

                    Jieming
                    DragonSeedLegacy
                    ChineseCultureOnline

                    --- In ChineseCultureOnline@yahoogroups.com, "John Gerlach"

                    Service.
                  • ming18ming2003
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 5, 2005
                      hi John!

                      A lot of times I am amazed at how much the gwailos know about the
                      Chinese things. Now don't be surprised that you indeed know so much
                      about China. :)

                      Thanks for sharing!

                      Happy New Year to you and all!

                      Jane :)

                      <firedog_hk@h...> wrote:
                      > Ha - even a poor Gwai Loh knows that Chinese New Year is also
                      called the Lunar New Year (Lunar is an adjective from the Latin word
                      for moon) because it is determined by the cycles of the moon which
                      differ from year to year on the Solar Calendar (Solar is the
                      adjective from the Latin word for Sun).

                      > In early times it was easier to calculate time periods by the moon
                      because its four distinct phases were clearly visible - depending on
                      cloud cover :), so the Lunar Calendar was first developed. Only later
                      in history did civilisations develop the Solar Calendar because
                      Astronomers were able to fix the time it took for the Earth to
                      complete each cycle around the Sun, so that the four Solar seasons of
                      Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter could each be allocated three
                      calendar months of the Year.

                      > That is why we also have a Leap Year in the Solar Calendar because
                      it was discovered that the early calculation of 364 days was not
                      quite accurate - more closely 364.25, so they added a day to February
                      every four years to bring the Solar Calendar back into line.

                      > The Western celebration of Easter was also dependent on the Lunar
                      Calendar originally. Even after the Christian Religion took it over
                      as a celebration of Christ's death, burial and resurrection, they
                      retained its Lunar characteristic so that Easter is still celebrated
                      on a different day each year in the Solar Calendar. The Christians
                      call Easter a 'Moveable Feast' as opposed to a Fixed Feast such as
                      Christmas (the supposed birthday of Christ) which is celebrated each
                      year on the 25th of December.

                      > The Chinese (in common with other Lunar Year cultures) have
                      accommodated themselves to the Solar Calendar because of its
                      dominance in business, trade and global communications, but the Lunar
                      New Year easily remains the most important event of their year
                      wherever they happen to be in the World. This is true in Hong Kong,
                      Beijing, Sydney or even New York.

                      > Well, at least we have two opportunities to wish everyone 'San Nin
                      Fai Lok' or Happy New Year!

                      > John

                      Service.
                    • mikegimbel
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 5, 2005
                        Hi everyone.

                        Just a silly question from a guy that knows to little of China and
                        its culture. I sw the word "gwailos" in your note, Jane.

                        I am wondering if it means foreigners.

                        When I was in Fuzhou I was sometimes called Laowai. Is this a
                        similar word?

                        --- In ChineseCultureOnline@yahoogroups.com, "ming18ming2003"
                        <ming18ming2003@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > retained its Lunar characteristic so that Easter is still
                        celebrated
                        > on a different day each year in the Solar Calendar. The Christians
                        > call Easter a 'Moveable Feast' as opposed to a Fixed Feast such as
                        > Christmas (the supposed birthday of Christ) which is celebrated
                        each
                        > year on the 25th of December.
                        > >
                        > > The Chinese (in common with other Lunar Year cultures) have
                        > accommodated themselves to the Solar Calendar because of its
                        > dominance in business, trade and global communications, but the
                        Lunar
                        > New Year easily remains the most important event of their year
                        > wherever they happen to be in the World. This is true in Hong
                        Kong,
                        > Beijing, Sydney or even New York.
                        > >
                        > > Well, at least we have two opportunities to wish everyone 'San

                      • Ty
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 5, 2005
                          Ah, Fuzhou has become a mostly Mandarin-speaking city in the last decade.
                          Its local dialect has become more and more obscure.

                          --- In ChineseCultureOnline@yahoogroups.com, "mikegimbel"
                          <mikegimbel@h...> wrote:

                          > Hi everyone.
                          >
                          > Just a silly question from a guy that knows to little of China and
                          > its culture. I sw the word "gwailos" in your note, Jane.
                          >
                          > I am wondering if it means foreigners.
                          >
                          > When I was in Fuzhou I was sometimes called Laowai. Is this a
                          > similar word?
                        • John Gerlach
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 6, 2005
                            Yes - and the year after that is my year - the Year of the Dog!

                            <firedog_hk@h...> wrote:
                            > Ha - even a poor Gwai Loh knows that Chinese New Year is also called
                            the Lunar New Year (Lunar is an adjective from the Latin word for
                            moon) because it is determined by the cycles of the moon which differ
                            from year to year on the Solar Calendar (Solar is the adjective from
                            the Latin word for Sun).

                            > In early times it was easier to calculate time periods by the moon
                            because its four distinct phases were clearly visible - depending on
                            cloud cover :), so the Lunar Calendar was first developed. Only later
                            in history did civilisations develop the Solar Calendar because
                            Astronomers were able to fix the time it took for the Earth to
                            complete each cycle around the Sun, so that the four Solar seasons of
                            Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter could each be allocated three
                            calendar months of the Year.

                            > That is why we also have a Leap Year in the Solar Calendar because
                            it was discovered that the early calculation of 364 days was not quite
                            accurate - more closely 364.25, so they added a day to February every
                            four years to bring the Solar Calendar back into line.

                            > The Western celebration of Easter was also dependent on the Lunar
                            Calendar originally. Even after the Christian Religion took it over as
                            a celebration of Christ's death, burial and resurrection, they
                            retained its Lunar characteristic so that Easter is still celebrated
                            on a different day each year in the Solar Calendar. The Christians
                            call Easter a 'Moveable Feast' as opposed to a Fixed Feast such as
                            Christmas (the supposed birthday of Christ) which is celebrated each
                            year on the 25th of December.

                            > The Chinese (in common with other Lunar Year cultures) have
                            accommodated themselves to the Solar Calendar because of its dominance
                            in business, trade and global communications, but the Lunar New Year
                            easily remains the most important event of their year wherever they
                            happen to be in the World. This is true in Hong Kong, Beijing, Sydney
                            or even New York.

                            > Well, at least we have two opportunities to wish everyone 'San Nin
                            Fai Lok' or Happy New Year!

                            > John

                            Service.
                          • liang_jieming
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 6, 2005
                              Hehehehe, that means this year you are either 11 years old, 23 years
                              old, 35 years old, 47 years old, 59 years old, 71 years old, 83 years
                              old, 95 years old or almost impossibly 107 years old!