Great Wall

  • Hyde Park
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 2, 2003
      Is it true that only about one-third of the Great Wall
      is intact, with the rest in various stages of decay?
      According to the Beijing Daily, another third was
      merely made up of piles of rock and bricks, and the
      remaining third had disappeared.

    • ming18ming2003
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 9, 2003
        You might have already known, Miss China won the second runner-up
        from the Miss World beauty pageant. She's stopeed by in the city
        where I am and said to the medium that she was all the way led by her
        mother with all her choices of endeavours in life and it was her
        mother who initially taught her how to dress up. There is a saying in
        Chinese that mother is the first teacher in one's life and from the
        success of Miss China we can tell how true this is.

        Jane

        --- In ChineseCultureOnline@yahoogroups.com, "Rachel Tatner"
        <rattat@s...> wrote:
        > <<< To be beautiful is a fortunate thing for a woman and a
        blessing.

        > Not always true. A beautiful woman often times is alone for female
        friends as they can act quite jealously. It's also not good to get
        things just on the basis of how you look. That can contribute to bad
        habits such as a woman using people to get what she wants.

        > As to what these woman are really like, you just never know. I had
        a friend that knew Miss Texas once and she said the woman was
        definitely not the sweet young thing she was portrayed as.

        > I read an article on people these women hire to get them ready for
        the competitions. I was amazed at the tricks and rather devious
        methods employed.

        > I do like to see what people from other countries look like, but I
        don't think it should be a competition of who looks best.

        > I am also saddened that the women are needing to be rail thin in
        China. It's bad enough in the rest of the world and now it's come to
        rest in mainland China as well. I've talked to several Chinese men
        and women and one of the first things they talk about is how to be
        thin.

        > I was told by a woman of Chinese descent in Hawaii that when she
        went to Hong Kong she didn't even bother to shop for clothes there
        because, while she's considered maybe a little chubby in the US,
        she's considered way too fat in Hong Kong and didn't hope to find
        clothes that would fit her. She has a relative living in Hong Kong
        and said the pressure to be thin there is vicious.

        > I've been told by a Chinese man living in Hong Kong that his female
        workmates were saying they were starving themselves and staying
        skinny until they could catch a man and then they will let loose. He
        was angry because he felt they were being deceitful. But I tried to
        point out to him, that it was men that put this burden on women to be
        so skinny and it's practically impossible to be that thin and
        maintain it for a long period of time. Plus it's just not plain good
        for your body to be overly thin.

        > But enough rambling on my part.
        > Rachel
      • Hyde Park
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 10, 2003
          Do people in China feel Miss China should have won?
          What is the mainland media saying as the reason why
          Miss China came third and Miss Ireland won?

          ---------------------------------

          <rattat@s...> wrote:
          > <<< To be beautiful is a fortunate thing for a woman
          and a
          blessing.

          > Not always true. A beautiful woman often times is
          alone for female
          friends as they can act quite jealously. It's also
          not good to get
          things just on the basis of how you look. That can
          contribute to bad
          habits such as a woman using people to get what she
          wants.

          > As to what these woman are really like, you just
          never know. I had
          a friend that knew Miss Texas once and she said the
          woman was
          definitely not the sweet young thing she was portrayed
          as.

          > I read an article on people these women hire to get
          them ready for
          the competitions. I was amazed at the tricks and
          rather devious
          methods employed.

          > I do like to see what people from other countries
          look like, but I
          don't think it should be a competition of who looks
          best.

          > I am also saddened that the women are needing to be
          rail thin in
          China. It's bad enough in the rest of the world and
          now it's come to
          rest in mainland China as well. I've talked to
          several Chinese men
          and women and one of the first things they talk about
          is how to be
          thin.

          > I was told by a woman of Chinese descent in Hawaii
          that when she
          went to Hong Kong she didn't even bother to shop for
          clothes there
          because, while she's considered maybe a little chubby
          in the US,
          she's considered way too fat in Hong Kong and didn't
          hope to find
          clothes that would fit her. She has a relative living
          in Hong Kong
          and said the pressure to be thin there is vicious.

          > I've been told by a Chinese man living in Hong Kong
          that his female
          workmates were saying they were starving themselves
          and staying
          skinny until they could catch a man and then they will
          let loose. He
          was angry because he felt they were being deceitful.
          But I tried to
          point out to him, that it was men that put this burden
          on women to be
          so skinny and it's practically impossible to be that
          thin and
          maintain it for a long period of time. Plus it's just
          not plain good
          for your body to be overly thin.

          > But enough rambling on my part.
          > Rachel

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

          Terms of Service.

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 16, 2003
            For sentimental reasons, yes, people in China would very much like
            that Miss CHina had won. Yet, Chinese beauties haven't really won any
            international pageant in the world and I think it was two years ago
            when Miss China took the 5th place in a world pageant and that had
            been the best grade until this year. There is a difference between
            the perceptions of what a Chinese consider a beauty and that of the
            westerner's, Chinese beauties are basically smaller in size than
            westerner beauties. So the Chinese in China knowing this seem to have
            accepted the fact and are somewhat hopeful that one day the Chinese
            beauties from Chinese standards would be accepted by the west and
            that the crown can be awarded to a a Chinese woman one day.

            Jane

            --- In ChineseCultureOnline@yahoogroups.com, Hyde Park
            <hydepark9299@y...> wrote:
            > Do people in China feel Miss China should have won?
            > What is the mainland media saying as the reason why
            > Miss China came third and Miss Ireland won?

          • Alessandro Ranieri
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 12, 2004

              China to Correct Great-Wall-In-Space Myth

              Photo: AP
              Click to enlarge

              The myth about China's Great Wall has come tumbling down, thanks to the nation's first man in space.

              For decades, the Chinese propagated the myth that their most famous creation was visible from space. Elementary-school textbooks in the world's most populous nation still proclaim that the structure can be seen by the naked eye of an orbiting cosmonaut.

              But the myth was shattered upon Yang Liwei's return from a 21 1/2-hour space jaunt last year, so schoolbooks will be rewritten, the Beijing Times newspaper reported Friday.

              The wall stretches thousands of miles across northern China but is only a few yards wide, making it impossible to see from space.

              A Ministry of Education official in charge of teaching materials for China's schools said the textbook's publisher was informed to stop printing the essay that recounts the falsehood.

              The essay is part of China's standard sixth-grade language and literature textbook, the paper said quoting the official, surnamed Zang.

              It reads: "A cosmonaut rising radiantly said 'Flying in my spaceship, surveying our Earth from space, I am able to make out two constructions with my bare eyes: One is a Dutch sea embankment, the other is China's Great Wall!'"

              The paper said, "Having this falsehood printed in our elementary school textbooks is probably the main cause of the misconception being so widely spread."

              Its report quoted Wang Xiang, a delegate to the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, an advisory body to the national legislature meeting in Beijing this week.

              During this year's meeting, Wang submitted a proposal to the government asking that school books and school curricula be amended to stop spreading the Great Wall space myth.

              The myth "is a disadvantage to the real knowledge acquired by our elementary school students," Wang was quoted as saying.

              The Web site for the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration says that while many manmade objects can be seen from space without magnification, the Great Wall is not among them.

              The wall is not that wide and made from native materials that match the color of the surrounding landscape, the NASA Web site says.

              Do You Yahoo!?
            • ming18ming2003
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 19, 2004
                Today's front picture is a picture from an attraction in Guangzhou,
                called the Chen Temple. it's a good site that has the architecture
                style of ancient buildings in South China.

                Jane
              • ming18ming2003
                Message 7 of 24 , May 19, 2004
                  Today's front picture has featured 56 people representing 56 ethnic
                  groups in China. It's too small to be readable, so I also put one in
                  the photo album, click full size for a better view. As you can see,
                  the Chinese faces vary a lot from one ethnic group to another, and
                  you can find that quite a few groups of people look like Caucasions.

                  Jane
                • ming18ming2003
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 1, 2004
                    Today's front picture has the actress of Zhang Zi Yi. She is the
                    actress in the film I introduced a while ago, also the one who played
                    a major role in the "Hidden Dragon and Crouching Tiger".

                    Isn't she charming? :)

                    Jane
                  • xinmin yan
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 1, 2004
                      lots of chinese don't like this actress as she knows nothing about acting but how to use others to get what she wants, such as fame and money. she is not considered pretty and she has not done much great acting. pretentious, stupid and manipulative, just like lots of actors in business.

                      xinmin

                      ming18ming2003 <ming18ming2003@...> wrote:
                      Today's front picture has the actress of Zhang Zi Yi. She is the
                      actress in the film I introduced a while ago, also the one who played
                      a major role in the "Hidden Dragon and Crouching Tiger".

                      Isn't she charming? :)

                      Jane

                      Do you Yahoo!?

                    • Jane
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 1, 2004
                        the 1421 documentary programme, "1421 - The Year China Discovered America?" will be broadcast in the USA on 21st July, 2004, by PBS.

                        The following is the program description. It refutes the notion brought forth by Gavin Menzies. However, I think the program has its merit of just bringing this topic to discussion.

                        ----------------
                        1421: The Year China Discovered America?

                        Episode One--The first hour introduces the controversial theory of British author Gavin Menzies, who has devoted nine years to proving that Zheng He and his Ming fleet of more than 100 ships reached America before Columbus. This episode investigates what is known about the fleet and its historic voyages, and the impact they had on the civilizations around the rim of the Indian Ocean. The program retraces the armada's journey to far-flung outposts throughout China, Southeast Asia, Arabia, India and Africa. Dramatic reconstructions using computer graphics bring to life the Ming fleet's scale and the unique design of the spectacular 400-foot treasure ships within the armada - a nautical achievement never surpassed by any other wooden fleet. The program the questions: Could the armada truly have sailed around Africa's Cape of Good Hope and reach the Americas? And will Menzies' investigations rewrite history and change the way people view the world? Episode Two--This episode puts Menzies' controversial theory to the test, visiting locations to search for clues and drawing together contemporary historical accounts, archaeology and a wealth of evidence from consultations with scholars to investigate Menzies' claims. Historians, archaeologists and scientists cast major doubts on the claims that the Chinese rounded the Cape of Good Hope, that they entered the Atlantic Ocean, that they visited or settled in America or indeed produced a Master Chart of the World. Menzies claims he can't be proved wrong. However, the discovery that led to his investigation has unearthed mysteries surrounding both the discovery of America and the true nature of the Ming voyages.

                        http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2446907.stm

                        http://mail.yahoo.com

                      • Jane

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 1, 2004
                            Hi,

                            I have slightly different opinions on Zhang Ziyi. I think she is
                            pretty, but in the cute kind of way and not in the gorgeous kind of
                            way. I think she is very attractive but too pouty for my tastes. I
                            also think that her main role in movies is as eye candy but she does a
                            great job as that. Some actors are there to act, some are there to
                            make the movie look good. :-)

                            Jieming

                            --- In ChineseCultureOnline@yahoogroups.com, Jane
                            <ming18ming2003@y...> wrote:
                            > Hi!
                            >
                            > Different people have differnt opinions. Our opinions are generally
                            subjective. Yea, she is always seen flirting with the wealthy boys.

                            > Jane
                            >
                            > xinmin yan <xinminyan@y...> wrote:
                            > lots of chinese don't like this actress as she knows nothing about
                            acting but how to use others to get what she wants, such as fame and
                            money. she is not considered pretty and she has not done much great
                            acting. pretentious, stupid and manipulative, just like lots of actors
                            in business.

                            > xinmin
                            >
                            > ming18ming2003 <ming18ming2003@y...> wrote:
                            > Today's front picture has the actress of Zhang Zi Yi. She is the
                            > actress in the film I introduced a while ago, also the one who played
                            > a major role in the "Hidden Dragon and Crouching Tiger".
                            >
                            > Isn't she charming? :)
                            >
                            > Jane

                          • xinmin yan
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 1, 2004
                              i think it is a waste of time and resources to talk about her here. my friend has seen here fact to face and simply holds no respect for her. sorry if i sound a bit blunt.

                              xinmin

                              <ming18ming2003@y...> wrote:
                              > Hi!

                              > Different people have differnt opinions. Our opinions are generally
                              subjective. Yea, she is always seen flirting with the wealthy boys.

                              > Jane
                              >
                              > xinmin yan <xinminyan@y...> wrote:
                              > lots of chinese don't like this actress as she knows nothing about
                              acting but how to use others to get what she wants, such as fame and
                              money. she is not considered pretty and she has not done much great
                              acting. pretentious, stupid and manipulative, just like lots of actors
                              in business.

                              > xinmin
                              >
                              > ming18ming2003 <ming18ming2003@y...> wrote:
                              > Today's front picture has the actress of Zhang Zi Yi. She is the
                              > actress in the film I introduced a while ago, also the one who played
                              > a major role in the "Hidden Dragon and Crouching Tiger".
                              >
                              > Isn't she charming? :)
                              >
                              > Jane

                            • liang_jieming
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 2, 2004
                                hehehe, agreed. Let's go back to talking about Chinese culture. :-)

                                Jieming

                                --- In ChineseCultureOnline@yahoogroups.com, xinmin yan
                                <xinminyan@y...> wrote:
                                > i think it is a waste of time and resources to talk about her here.
                                my friend has seen here fact to face and simply holds no respect for
                                her. sorry if i sound a bit blunt.

                                > xinmin
                                >
                                > liang_jieming <kitmengleong@y...> wrote:
                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > I have slightly different opinions on Zhang Ziyi. I think she is
                                > pretty, but in the cute kind of way and not in the gorgeous kind of
                                > way. I think she is very attractive but too pouty for my tastes. I
                                > also think that her main role in movies is as eye candy but she does a
                                > great job as that. Some actors are there to act, some are there to
                                > make the movie look good. :-)
                                >
                                > Jieming
                                >

                                > --- In ChineseCultureOnline@yahoogroups.com, Jane
                                > <ming18ming2003@y...> wrote:
                                > > Hi!
                                > >
                                > > Different people have differnt opinions. Our opinions are generally
                                > subjective. Yea, she is always seen flirting with the wealthy boys.
                                > >
                                > > Jane
                                > >
                                > > xinmin yan <xinminyan@y...> wrote:
                                > > lots of chinese don't like this actress as she knows nothing about
                                > acting but how to use others to get what she wants, such as fame and
                                > money. she is not considered pretty and she has not done much great
                                > acting. pretentious, stupid and manipulative, just like lots of actors
                                > in business.
                                > >
                                > > xinmin
                                > >
                                > > ming18ming2003 <ming18ming2003@y...> wrote:
                                > > Today's front picture has the actress of Zhang Zi Yi. She is the
                                > > actress in the film I introduced a while ago, also the one who played
                                > > a major role in the "Hidden Dragon and Crouching Tiger".
                                > >
                                > > Isn't she charming? :)
                                > >
                                > > Jane

                                Service.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 27, 2004
                                  As the topic of discussion goes, today's front picture has a building
                                  in Guangzhou, the tallest one in the city as of now. Oh yea, you are
                                  right, it's the Citic Plaza or zhong xin guang chang in mandarin. :-)
                                  Situated in Tianhe district, it has 80 storeys and was the tallest
                                  building in the 90s in China.

                                  Hmmm, how wonderful it must be when standing tall! :-) Like the crane
                                  in the midst of the chickens! He4 Li4 Ji1 Qun2 as the Chinese idiom
                                  goes. To all the "cranes" here, how fresh is the air over your
                                  shoulder? :-)

                                  Jane

                                  Secretly envying the lucky tall girls. Sh... :-)