Re: "36 Strategies"

  • liang_jieming
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
      --- In ChineseCultureOnline@yahoogroups.com, Hyde Park
      <hydepark9299@y...> wrote:
      > Even if you don't agree with the authors, who are from
      > Singapore, it's an interesting book. I'm sure you can
      > find it at Borders or that huge Japanese bookstore in
      > Singapore.
      >
      > Hyde.
      Well yes I do remember seeing it. It's by AsiaPac I think. They
      produce tonnes of stuff on chinese history & culture. Most of these
      are interpretations of the Art of War under different themes like
      business, love etc. *Shrug* Maybe I'll pop over the Kinokuniya and
      look up the book.

      Btw, I just found out Borders in Singapore is not the biggest. Kino
      is. This was from a staff at Border who told me this. I was trying
      to find the book by Spencer Chapman, "The Jungle is Neutral" and they
      asked me to try Kino coz it was bigger than Borders!

      Jieming
      DragonSeedLegacy
      ChineseCultureOnline
    • Alessandro Ranieri
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
        Ah Jieming very lucky to be in Singapore. It most interesting city. Ah Jane, you need to visit Singapore.

      • Hyde Park
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
          Yeah, Kino is big. And Kino is a much nicer bookstore,
          appearance wise. Borders could use some sprucing up.
          It was starting to look a bit dumpy.

          If I'm not mistaken, Kino, unlike Borders has a large
          selection of Japanese or Chinese-language books.

          I'm wondering if Kino or Borders makes money. The rent
          at either of the premises must be out of this world.

          Of course, the advantage Borders has over Kino is it
          has a music section.

          Hyde.
        • ming18ming2003
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
            Interesting to learn it. Thanks for sharing!

            Jane

            <hydepark9299@y...> wrote:
            > Even if you don't agree with the authors, who are from
            > Singapore, it's an interesting book. I'm sure you can
            > find it at Borders or that huge Japanese bookstore in
            > Singapore.
            >
            > Hyde.
          • ming18ming2003
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
              Is this from the book of "three kingdoms" (san guo yan yi)? I heard
              Zhuge Liang always used strategies.

              Jane

              <hydepark9299@y...> wrote:
              > Has anyone read "The 36 Strategies of the Chinese" in
              > doing business?
              >
              > Strategy no. 22 is "Pretending to be Insane but
              > Remaining Smart."
              >
              > Explanation: It is better to pretend to know nothing
              > and take no action than to pretend to know everything
              > and react to a situation hastily.
              >
              > The book can be ordered on Amazon.com.
              >
              > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-
              /9812358323/qid=1107137351/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-1861754-1511137?
              v=glance&s=books
            • liang_jieming
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
                Actually Kino has a music section too but it's a lot smaller than the
                one at Borders. Yeah I agree with the dumpy look. Borders is looking
                more and more unmanaged and it mainly caters to the English book market.

                Jieming
                DragonSeedLegacy
                ChineseCultureOnline