Re: 12 Girls Band

  • Alessandro Ranieri
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2004
      Ah Jane, hehhehe, I'm not conservative. But in this case, I think it would have been better if 12 Girls wore traditional Chinese clothes. The pity is the organizer for 12 Girls probably worried that if 12 Girls wore traditional clothes, people around world would think they are boring. Traditional clothes would have been perfect to show Olympics being passed to Beijing. No need to try to show Beijing is western like everyone else. Perception of young beautiful girls who perform is they have to be sexy. I think lot of people fail to understand that what is special about 12 Girls is they are 12 who can play Chinese musical instruments very well, not that they are pretty and have nice legs. And organizer should have stressed that. Instead, it is yet another show which shows some flesh, like Britney, Christina, etc. Like Jieming said, they not have to take everything off. Just show some of it and the mind starts working.

    • John Gerlach
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2004
        Huh? I thought China taught the rest of the World that flesh sells! :)

        Anyway, dancing around in a long dress with that split right up to their
        beautiful thighs would have probably distracted a lot more from their music
        than what is to western people quite a normal and unprovocative dress form.

        Legs haven't been controversial in the West since the uproar caused by the
        Can Can dancers in Paris many, many years ago!

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2004
          Hehehe, I just have to step in here and correct this. These girls are
          not the same as in the 12 girl's band. They were put together just
          for the Olympics!

          --- In ChineseCultureOnline@yahoogroups.com, Alessandro Ranieri
          <alexcranieri@y...> wrote:
          > Ah Jane, hehhehe, I'm not conservative. But in this case, I think it
          would have been better if 12 Girls wore traditional Chinese clothes.
          The pity is the organizer for 12 Girls probably worried that if 12
          Girls wore traditional clothes, people around world would think they
          are boring. Traditional clothes would have been perfect to show
          Olympics being passed to Beijing. No need to try to show Beijing is
          western like everyone else.

          Precisely my point! China is not a western country and should not
          need to "act" western to be accepted. China should show the way on
          it's own without having to be "western". Should learn a little from
          the Koreans or even the Japanese. Look at how they portray their
          culture. Basically they showcase their traditions and tell the world
          "hey, look at us and our traditional clothes, culture, customs etc...
          we look cool in them!" They are so successful that westerners are
          buying tatami mats, eat sushi, decorate their houses to look Zen, take
          up bonsai as a hobby etc. They have shown the world how modern being
          Eastern can be.

          China shouldn't try to be western. Looking and acting western doesn't
          make you modern, it just makes you look like you're trying too hard to
          be something you are not. China should be China and show the world
          how modern being Chinese can be!

          Jieming
          DragonSeedLegacy
          ChineseCultureOnline
        • Jane
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 1, 2004
            Yea, that's what I suspected. I was all the way misled by you guys. :-) These girls in the picture looked much younger than the other 12 girls. In fact, I was even thinking they were just some children who happened to be tall enough. But look at their facial expression, they looked very much childish, don't you think so?

            Jane

            <alexcranieri@y...> wrote:
            > Ah Jane, hehhehe, I'm not conservative. But in this case, I think it
            would have been better if 12 Girls wore traditional Chinese clothes.
            The pity is the organizer for 12 Girls probably worried that if 12
            Girls wore traditional clothes, people around world would think they
            are boring. Traditional clothes would have been perfect to show
            Olympics being passed to Beijing. No need to try to show Beijing is
            western like everyone else.

            Precisely my point!  China is not a western country and should not
            need to "act" western to be accepted.  China should show the way on
            it's own without having to be "western".  Should learn a little from
            the Koreans or even the Japanese.  Look at how they portray their
            culture.  Basically they showcase their traditions and tell the world
            "hey, look at us and our traditional clothes, culture, customs etc...
            we look cool in them!"  They are so successful that westerners are
            buying tatami mats, eat sushi, decorate their houses to look Zen, take
            up bonsai as a hobby etc.  They have shown the world how modern being
            Eastern can be.

            China shouldn't try to be western.  Looking and acting western doesn't
            make you modern, it just makes you look like you're trying too hard to
            be something you are not.  China should be China and show the world
            how modern being Chinese can be!

            Jieming
            DragonSeedLegacy
            ChineseCultureOnline

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • liang_jieming
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 1, 2004
              Nah, Chinese clothes throughout the centuries for men and women alike
              were shapeless things, more for utility and showing off wealth/rank
              than anything. This is very unlike the western preoccupation with
              showing off body shape. Even the traditional Chinese woman's lingerie
              tend to be shapeless shifts and pieces of cloth which serve more to
              cover body parts (until removed) than to highlight body parts. This
              is contrasted with the western obsession with showing fleshy breasts,
              the small"ness" of a woman's waist and the long shapeliness of legs.

              It was only about the 1900s in Shanghai when, because of the western
              influence in the city, the Shanghainese women began to follow the
              western concept of body form clothing and started shaping their qipaos
              to follow the body contours. The high slit then followed as a natural
              development from that. The young women who started the trend probably
              did it half to shock their fathers and show how "western/modern" they
              are as well as, probably to attract western eyes as marriage
              prospects. :-)

              The Chinese too had their "geishas" like the Japanese still do. That
              would have been the "sex-symbol" for the traditional chinese male.
              Hardly what a westerner would consider a bombshell! But of course
              like all things traditional in China these days, all that is gone,
              replaced by western concepts in the attempt to be "modern". As if
              being western = modern. ;-) Rather silly if you asked me.

              Jieming
              DragonSeedLegacy
              ChineseCultureOnline

              --- In ChineseCultureOnline@yahoogroups.com, "John Gerlach"
              <firedog_hk@h...> wrote:
              > Huh? I thought China taught the rest of the World that flesh sells! :)
              >
              > Anyway, dancing around in a long dress with that split right up to
              their
              > beautiful thighs would have probably distracted a lot more from
              their music
              > than what is to western people quite a normal and unprovocative
              dress form.

              > Legs haven't been controversial in the West since the uproar caused
              by the
              > Can Can dancers in Paris many, many years ago!

            • Jane
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 1, 2004
                Hehe.. Interesting to see different perceptions!

                In fact, John's way of viewing the beauty is probably in line with the philosophy where it says the best make-up is to make it appear no make-up or the least made-up. This kind of make-up is indeed what makes the look sophisticated and makes a person outstanding.

                Hehee... sorry, guys, I can't help, but I do have some make-up tips for the ladies here to share with.. .. :-)))

                Jane

                John Gerlach <firedog_hk@...> wrote:

                Anyway, dancing around in a long dress with that split right up to their
                beautiful thighs would have probably distracted a lot more from their music
                than what is to western people quite a normal and unprovocative dress form.

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • Alessandro Ranieri
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 4, 2004
                  Ah, I also mistaken. I thought they were 12 Girls Band. I thought since closing ceremony is very important, Beijing probably asked 12 Girls to perform. Now that you say it was not 12 Girls, I think that is pretty cheap. Maybe Beijing want world to think they were. And I think many people thought they were.

                  I also agree with you Jieming. I do not understand why some people think China need to adopt western ways to show it is modern. Too often the world think China need to be more like West, but I think it should be other way. West need to be more like China. The best approach by Chinese government is to adopt some western way and ignore others. For example, I think one negative influence is Western fast-food. I hear now there are many fat people in China. It is much harder to lose weight than to gain it.

                  One good influence is the qipao. The performers at Olympic ceremony should have worn the long qipao. One, because it is Chinese tradition, and two, as Jane mentioned many times, it makes the lady look very elegant. Also, I have seen non-Chinese women wear the long qipao. They look as beautiful as any Chinese women, so I don't understand why performers at Olympics did not wear long qipao.

                  I read in China daily recently about how one airport in China reacted to complaints from some airline passengers regarding late arrival or departure of flight. The airport returned some money to passengers for inconvenience caused by delay. When I read this, I was very surprised because in the West, if your flight is delayed, you do not get compensation. I think West need to learn from China.

                  Alex.