Wiscon

  • Carol Mitchell
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
      Unless things at Wiscon have changed a great deal in the last few years, it is not a good choice for costumers. The people who run it are very serious about frivolities like masquerades being a waste of time. I spoke to the person who last ran a masquerade there about 10 years ago, and she said that while it is a very good convention for people who enjoy reading science fiction and/or feminist literature, even t-shirts are frowned on. It's entirely possible that a fabric swap would be successful, since some of the people there may be sewers or even costumemakers in everyday life, but like Minicon, the split in Madison was into literary and media divisions and costuming went with the media. If you can't go to CostumeCon, Marcon would probably be a better bet for costumers, although Wiscon is an enjoyable convention.
      Carol

      Yahoo! Mail
    • Wendy
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
        I am scheduled to be a panelist at Marcon again!

        Wendy Z
      • Isabel Schechter
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
          I can't speak to Marcon at all since I've never attended, but definitely
          things at WisCon are not what there were 10 years ago. While there is not a
          Masquerade, there is a "Fancy Dress Party" (one year the theme was pirates,
          one year film noir, this year's theme is Carnivale, so there will definitely
          be costumes/costuming), and every year, the convention t-shirt is a
          beautiful work of art. There are also clothing/costume items that are sold
          as part of the art auction and in the dealers' room. One of the ideas for
          the Gathering this year involves wearable art (that's all I can say until
          it's confirmed). So, while I would agree that CostumeCon is probably the
          best option for a costumer that weekend, and I am willing to admit that
          Marcon may also be a better option, I wouldn't say that WisCon doesn't also
          have something to offer. I've also never heard anyone say anything
          disparaging about masquerades.
          Isabel

[...]

          Carol Mitchell listowner costumemidwest
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/costumemidwest/

          ---------------------------------
          Yahoo! Mail
        • osierhenry@cs.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
            WisCon is a serious con, but the can't keep it all serious. There are folks who do dress up, like for my friends' party.

            Henry
          • osierhenry@cs.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
              In a message dated 3/1/2006 4:43:19 PM Central Standard Time, isabel_schechter@... writes:
              one year the theme was pirates,
              one year film noir, this year's theme is Carnivale, so there will definitely
              be costumes/costuming),

              That's my friends Greg & Georgie! Greg was our MC at CC21.
              Henry