Robin Netherton's collections of papers given at Kalamazoo

  • carol_anne_mitchell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2007
      Since Henry has informed us that Robin Netherton will be at CC28, I
      thought you might be interested in this posting from her on h-costume.
      On Tuesday 26 June 2007, Robin Netherton wrote:
      > Someone asked me about the editing on "Scandinavian archaeological
      > textiles" I'm in the middle of, and it occurred to me you all might
      like a sneak peek of the tentative contents of Vol. 4 (2008) of
      Medieval Clothing and Textiles.

      > Flax/linen production in medieval Russia
      > References to scarlet clothing in Norse sagas
      > The connection between Italian and Anglo-Saxon terms for "wimple"
      > Linguistic background of "coif/cuff"
      > Analysis of an extant 14th c. coif
      > A visual classification method for archaeological textiles
      > The "Greenland gown" and mainland European fashion
      > Women's turbans in 15th c. French illuminations
      > Henry VIII's quilts
      >
      > So, the usual range of disciplines (art, literature, archaeology,
      > language, history, fashion study), periods (Anglo-Saxon to Tudor),
      and places (Russia, Scandinavia, France, England, Italy). We've also
      noticed that each volume seems to develop "clusters" in certain
      topics; this seems to be the one for Scandinavia, archaeology, and
      headgear.