Military History Fest

  • sue edmunds
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2013
       I just wanted to let everyone know that Mike Bollow was absolutely blown away by our USO Club and Canteen this weekend and wants us back next year
      I would like to thank everyone who made it such a success.
      To Pat O'Connoer for fixing artwork and whomping out the buttons on short notice.
      To Henry for getting the handoutsouts done,the Baloney salad sandwiches, and DJing the music. The `Thanks for the Memories' at the end was a nice touch
      To Betsey,for the SOS, the baked beans, the pheasant salad sandwiches,etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. You outdid yourself!!!
      To Michele for more handouts and flyers and the prep work
       To Sue and Joel Finkle for all the wonderful goodies. The strawberry pie was fabulous. Joel, thanks for all the schlepping.
      To Deb Luth and her Mom for all the info and pictures on rationing down south.
       I heard nothing but great things about what we presented from some actual vets particularly from an old sailor who said we brought back some fond  memories for him.
       The saturday evening Ball was a Blast!!The high point being when the Indian Brave, the German Lufftwafer, the WWI, the WWII and the knight in full plate armor got on stage for a great performance of  the "Y.M.C.A." song.
      Lets keep up doing what we do best and have fun doing it!!! *:)) laughing         Sue E.

    • Joel Finkle

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 5, 2013
          The Guild really showed it stuff at the Fest and I am super proud and grateful!!! What an amazing group of people we have here!!

          All the best - Mike

[...]

        • Michele Jaye Solomon
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 5, 2013

            Thank you all!!

            MHF will be back at Pheasant Run next year.

            People loved the food.  I overheard one young man debating trying spam for the first time, it was very funny.

            I saw people staying for quite a while enjoying both of the presentations, the company and food.  Thanks Mike for the extra promotion before the second one.

            Sue E., the pattern was an amazing find.  By laminating it you allowed people to touch a piece of history something normally not possible.

            Everyone did an amazing job with the food. Teamwork in all the sandwich production was great, we had mini assembly lines in our room.  I know my contribution was simple, just bologna and cheese sandwichs (who knew Eckrich bologna had been around since the 1890's) and donuts.

            Betsy made phenomenal pies, in particular the fresh strawberry was a huge hit, fresh and light, not the usual heavy glop sauce. Any chance you'll share the recipe?

            Thanks all!

            MJ

          • sue edmunds

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 5, 2014
                I'd like to thank everybody who braved this weekends weather to make the USO club such a success. Pat, thanks again for whomping out buttons on short notice. I hope you are feeling better. Mike B was pleased with everything we did and we got a good turnout so that there wasn't much in the way of leftovers. I think we had a few sandwiches and maybe a lttle pie and some cake. We've also been invited to participate in World War II days in Franklin Park, IL. in October. That would require ALL HANDS ON DECK since they are expecting close to 300 attendees. The clincher is that we could actually charge a small fee and have portion control. We can discuss any ideas on how to manage this at the next meeting.Again, thanks to Sue Finkle, and  Betsey for providing pies, cakes, sos and sandwich fixings. And to deb Luth for helping with prep work
              • Leah OConnor
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 6, 2014
                  Sorry we missed Reinactor Fest (I still don't like the new name :-)
                  Do you have a date for the event in October?  I want to put it on our calendar.
                  Cheers,  Leah
                  I'd like to thank everybody who braved this weekends weather to make the USO club such a success. Pat, thanks again for whomping out buttons on short notice. I hope you are feeling better. Mike B was pleased with everything we did and we got a good turnout so that there wasn't much in the way of leftovers. I think we had a few sandwiches and maybe a lttle pie and some cake. We've also been invited to participate in World War II days in Franklin Park, IL. in October. That would require ALL HANDS ON DECK since they are expecting close to 300 attendees. The clincher is that we could actually charge a small fee and have portion control. We can discuss any ideas on how to manage this at the next meeting.Again, thanks to Sue Finkle, and  Betsey for providing pies, cakes, sos and sandwich fixings. And to deb Luth for helping with prep work
                • Carol Mitchell
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 6, 2014
                    I also would have liked to go to Reenactorfest, although after attending Duckon at Pheasant Run I know moare about pheasant Run and how difficult it is to get there without a car. More details about the October event would also be appreciated.
                    Thanks
                    Carol

                  • sue edmunds
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 9, 2014
                      You know what I know. The coordinator came into the Club and asked if we'd be interested in participating  Its in Franklin park at the main park right off of Belmont