Re: Laver's Law of Fashion

  • Michele Jaye Solomon
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1 4:11 AM
      I remember having a pants-in in junior high because the weren't allowed (no jeans though) but we all dreamed of being in high school so we could wear jeans. I graduated jr. high in 1969! No pantyhose then!

      Sent from my iPhone
    • huskie1968
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 7 2:07 AM
        I'd love to put this in the newsletter. Who do I asl for permission?

        Patrick

        --- In ChicagolandCostumersGuild@yahoogroups.com, "Joel" <joelfinkle@...> wrote:

        > From http://37signals.com/svn/posts/2474-lavers-law-of-fashion
        > 37 Signals is a blog from a software company, with emphasis on design.
        > Thought you'd get a kick.
        >
        > Joel
        > -------------------------
        >
        > James Laver was a museum curator for the Victoria and Albert Museum in London from the `30s through the `50s. He was also a fashion theorist and historian who conceived Laver's Law — an attempt to make sense of the fashion trend lifecycle.
        >
        > Here is Laver's Law:
        > Indecent 10 years before its time
        > Shameless 5 years before its time
        > Outré (Daring) 1 year before its time
        > Smart Current Fashion
        > Dowdy 1 year after its time
        > Hideous 10 years after its time
        > Ridiculous 20 years after its time
        > Amusing 30 years after its time
        > Quaint 50 years after its time
        > Charming 70 years after its time
        > Romantic 100 years after its time
        > Beautiful 150 years after its time
        >

        > Stanley Marcus, the former president of Neiman Marcus, recounts in his memoir Minding the Store how Laver's Law was used by Neiman Marcus clothes buyers in the late 60's. There was a heated internal debate on whether the trend for that next year would still be the mini skirt (which was the current fashion) or the longer midi skirt. Marcus asked Laver point blank if the mini skirt was dead. Laver told him that the mini skirt had at least another 2 years to go — against expert opinion at the time.
        >
        > His forecast was right, the midi was a complete flop, many women continued to wear the miniskirt, and those who couldn't or wouldn't make up their minds went into the pants suit. Pants were bound to come, but the skirt-length controversy made pants acceptable at an accelerated rate.

      • Joel Finkle
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 7 7:43 AM
          On the 37signals page, there's a link to the Wikipedia article, quoting his law.  I don't think you need permission.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Laver

          To: ChicagolandCostumersGuild@yahoogroups.com
          From: pjocon@...
          Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 09:07:27 +0000