Back again - and Steampunk

  • wendyzski
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 5 11:50 AM
      Hi again! Re-subbed to the group after a busy busy time of things for a while.

      Anyway, over Capricon weekend I was approached by the chair for Windycon about doing panels etc there. The theme this year is SteamPunk, and he wants LOTS of steamy costumey goodness there.

      Now I freely admit that I missed the whole SteamPunk bandwagon, and Victorian/Edwardian is rather out of my comfort zone costuming-wise, but I did some looking around and have hit upon an idea I might get up in time for Marcon...

      But back to the point - yes, I actually HAD one! In the interest of creativity and "gearing" up for this, I had the idea to start some inspiration events. I was thinking of calling them SteamPunk Saturdays (or Sundays) and having open house once or twice a month to watch inspirational to or inspired by the SteamPunk concept in hopes of sparking some interest.

      Therefore, I'm asking in a general way:
      1) Who might be up for something like this?
      2) Are Saturdays or Sundays better for people?

      I now have a condo in Rogers Park (Chicago) a few blocks north of Clark & Devon. Parking is possible, though you might have to use a metered spot, and it's not far from the Rogers Park Metra, Red line CTA and several bus routes. I have a houserabbit if anyone has allergies.

      Some references in case you also missed that bandwagon:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk
      http://brassgoggles.co.uk/brassgoggles/
      http://etheremporium.pbwiki.com/
      http://community.livejournal.com/steamfashion/
      http://picasaweb.google.com/zensidhe/Necronomicon20081#

      So let's buckle up our corsets and get to work!

      Wendy Z

      PS - Speaking of Marcon - I'm going to be a panelist again this year, and I have a reservation at the Hyatt and am looking for roomies. Let me know if you or anyone you know might be interested.
    • Margrett Norwoode
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 5 11:58 AM
        Ooh yeah! I have a steampunk outfit already designed (and fabric already bought for it) and I plan to sew it after Pennsic, to be ready for Windy next year. But I wouldn't mind having an excuse to start working on it sooner. For me, Sundays are usually better.

        Kerri-Ellen

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 5 1:56 PM
          Wendy,
                 I am interested in panels at Windy.
                 Also, can I send you fliers for CC28 to take to MarCon?
                 Henry
        • DuressKlin@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 5 3:08 PM
            There are a few of us who are starting to do steampunk in Iowa.  We will be presenting a panel at DemiCon in May.  Susan

          • wendyzski
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 5 4:23 PM
              --- In ChicagolandCostumersGuild@yahoogroups.com, DuressKlin@... wrote:

              > There are a few of us who are starting to do steampunk in Iowa. We will be
              > presenting a panel at DemiCon in May. Susan

              Yaaaay! playing dressup is awesome!
              Wendy
            • wendyzski
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 5 4:24 PM
                --- In ChicagolandCostumersGuild@yahoogroups.com, osierhenry@... wrote:

                > Wendy,
                > I am interested in panels at Windy.
                > Also, can I send you fliers for CC28 to take to MarCon?
                > Henry

                Sure. I should have a few spare inches in my suitcase....

                WZ
              • osierhenry@cs.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 6 5:19 PM
                  In a message dated 3/5/2009 6:25:04 PM Central Standard Time, wendyz@... writes:

                  >Wendy,
                  >I am interested in panels at Windy.
                  >Also, can I send you fliers for CC28 to take to MarCon?
                  >Henry

                  Sure. I should have a few spare inches in my suitcase....

                  WZ

                  Send me your address and when you are leaving out of group and I will get them to you.

                  Henry
                • osierhenry@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 6 5:21 PM
                    In a message dated 3/5/2009 5:09:38 PM Central Standard Time, DuressKlin@... writes:
                    There are a few of us who are starting to do steampunk in Iowa.  We will be presenting a panel at DemiCon in May.  Susan

                    If you do not know them, say hi to Greg and Sallie Abba. They know me and can introduce you to more local costumers out there. Tell them I say hello!

                    Also, Maytag Blue Cheese ROCKS!

                    Henry
                  • DuressKlin@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 7 8:05 AM