Re: Registration for June's Meeting

  • jdn3times
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2008
      Somehow, the Penguins staved off elimination in 3OT to play another
      game.

      Which is Wednesday night. When your team plays in the finals for the
      first time in 16 years, you have to go with it, so I'm out for the
      meeting.

      I'm disappointed for two reasons. I've just uninstalled the
      Resharper release candidate because it is still buggy. I would have
      liked to talk to people about their experiences.

      Secondly, it has become clear to me that there is an element
      of 'evangelism' cropping up in Alt.Net. In the sense that there is
      confirmation bias and an unwillingness to accept other opinions that
      go against some standard alt.Net themes (not to pick names, but J.
      Miller's 'argument' against some of my comments about the Entity
      Framework basically resorting to calling me 'Mr.Phd' when he had
      nothing else to say is a good example...I mean, it was sort of meant
      as an insult, but it isn't really).

      Not to pick names, but I will, I was looking forward to talking to
      Sergio and Derik about this and getting a sense of what they thought
      about it and maybe making it a topic for the 'open spaces' section of
      this meeting.

      Next time.

      jdn

      --- In ChicagoAltNet@yahoogroups.com, "Sergio Pereira"
      <sergioafp@...> wrote:

      > Registration is open for June's meeting on Wednesday 6/11.
      >
      > CodeRush and Resharper comparisons and how they can enhance your
      > Visual Studio experience.
      > Facilitators: Ryan Rinaldi and Adam Tybor
      >
      > The meeting will be at a new location:
      > ThoughtWorks
      > 200 E Randolph St, 25th floor
      > Chicago, IL
      >
      > Use the following link to register painlessly for the event. Please
      > use your real name otherwise you'll have to call someone to let you
      > in.
      >
      > http://altnetchicago.eventbrite.com/
      >
      > See you there!
      > --
      > ______________________________________
      > Sergio Pereira

    • Derik Whittaker
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3, 2008
        Jdn,

        You do know the meeting is NEXT Wednesday, no this weekend right.

        --- In ChicagoAltNet@yahoogroups.com, "jdn3times" <jdn3times@...> wrote:

        > Somehow, the Penguins staved off elimination in 3OT to play another
        > game.
        >
        > Which is Wednesday night. When your team plays in the finals for the
        > first time in 16 years, you have to go with it, so I'm out for the
        > meeting.
        >
        > I'm disappointed for two reasons. I've just uninstalled the
        > Resharper release candidate because it is still buggy. I would have
        > liked to talk to people about their experiences.
        >
        > Secondly, it has become clear to me that there is an element
        > of 'evangelism' cropping up in Alt.Net. In the sense that there is
        > confirmation bias and an unwillingness to accept other opinions that
        > go against some standard alt.Net themes (not to pick names, but J.
        > Miller's 'argument' against some of my comments about the Entity
        > Framework basically resorting to calling me 'Mr.Phd' when he had
        > nothing else to say is a good example...I mean, it was sort of meant
        > as an insult, but it isn't really).
        >
        > Not to pick names, but I will, I was looking forward to talking to
        > Sergio and Derik about this and getting a sense of what they thought
        > about it and maybe making it a topic for the 'open spaces' section of
        > this meeting.
        >
        > Next time.
        >
        > jdn
        >
        > --- In ChicagoAltNet@yahoogroups.com, "Sergio Pereira"
        > <sergioafp@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Registration is open for June's meeting on Wednesday 6/11.
        > >
        > > CodeRush and Resharper comparisons and how they can enhance your
        > > Visual Studio experience.
        > > Facilitators: Ryan Rinaldi and Adam Tybor
        > >
        > > The meeting will be at a new location:
        > > ThoughtWorks
        > > 200 E Randolph St, 25th floor
        > > Chicago, IL
        > >
        > > Use the following link to register painlessly for the event. Please
        > > use your real name otherwise you'll have to call someone to let you
        > > in.
        > >
        > > http://altnetchicago.eventbrite.com/
        > >
        > > See you there!
        > > --
        > > ______________________________________
        > > Sergio Pereira

      • Sergio Pereira
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 3, 2008
          jdn,
          In respect to your significance to our community, we will open the
          exception and move the meeting to the next Wednesday, the 11th. Oh,
          wait a second, no need to do that :)

          Re: the bias and stuff, I'm with you. I believe that the only way to
          be able to make good decisions is to keep an open mind and explore.
          The day someone creates "The Church of alt.net" with the guy at the
          top releasing the encyclicals for us in lower ranks, that's the day
          I'm off this boat.

          Although I typically don't like having "meta" discussions about what
          alt.net is or isn't, that may be an interesting topic for discussion
          anyway.

          On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 12:57 AM, jdn3times <jdn3times@...> wrote:
          > Somehow, the Penguins staved off elimination in 3OT to play another
          > game.
          >
          > Which is Wednesday night. When your team plays in the finals for the
          > first time in 16 years, you have to go with it, so I'm out for the
          > meeting.
          >
          > I'm disappointed for two reasons. I've just uninstalled the
          > Resharper release candidate because it is still buggy. I would have
          > liked to talk to people about their experiences.
          >
          > Secondly, it has become clear to me that there is an element
          > of 'evangelism' cropping up in Alt.Net. In the sense that there is
          > confirmation bias and an unwillingness to accept other opinions that
          > go against some standard alt.Net themes (not to pick names, but J.
          > Miller's 'argument' against some of my comments about the Entity
          > Framework basically resorting to calling me 'Mr.Phd' when he had
          > nothing else to say is a good example...I mean, it was sort of meant
          > as an insult, but it isn't really).
          >
          > Not to pick names, but I will, I was looking forward to talking to
          > Sergio and Derik about this and getting a sense of what they thought
          > about it and maybe making it a topic for the 'open spaces' section of
          > this meeting.
          >
          > Next time.
          >
          > jdn
          >
          > --- In ChicagoAltNet@yahoogroups.com, "Sergio Pereira"
          > <sergioafp@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Registration is open for June's meeting on Wednesday 6/11.
          >>
          >> CodeRush and Resharper comparisons and how they can enhance your
          >> Visual Studio experience.
          >> Facilitators: Ryan Rinaldi and Adam Tybor
          >>
          >> The meeting will be at a new location:
          >> ThoughtWorks
          >> 200 E Randolph St, 25th floor
          >> Chicago, IL
          >>
          >> Use the following link to register painlessly for the event. Please
          >> use your real name otherwise you'll have to call someone to let you
          >> in.
          >>
          >> http://altnetchicago.eventbrite.com/
          >>
          >> See you there!
          >> --

          Sergio Pereira
        • jdn3times
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2008
            Awesome!

            Apparently, whereas Sergio starts counting at 0, I start counting at -
            1...LOL

            jdn

            --- In ChicagoAltNet@yahoogroups.com, "Derik Whittaker" <graudo@...>