auditions

  • Noel_Taylor
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24 5:17 PM
      Dear Friends,

      Now is your chance to get involved! Golosa, the University of Chicago
      Russian Choir, is hoping to add a few new singers this year. We will be
      hearing auditions for all voices this Wednesday and Thursday, Sept. 26 and
      27 from 4:30 to 7:00 in the practice rooms of Goodspeed Hall. Directions
      to Goodspeed can be found at the end of this email.

      Please email me as soon as you can to request a time on one of these
      days. Expect the audition to take around 15 or 20 minutes. If neither
      Wednesday or Thursday evening works for you, we will find another time
      that does.

      The skills we are most looking for are a good ability to match pitch and
      to sing back short sequences of notes which we will play for you on the
      piano. We are also looking for people who are not afraid to sing *loud*.
      Much of our repertoire is sung in a manner very different from
      traditional western choral singing, so we may be asking you to do some
      yelling!

      The above-listed skills are the most important. It is not essential that
      you know any Russian. Of course, any knowledge you do have will only help
      you, but out of the 12 people currently in the group, only three joined us
      with any previous knowledge of a Slavic language.

      If you would care to prepare a short song of any genre which you could
      sing during your audition, please do so. It could be as simple as "Home on
      the Range"; the point is we like to hear people sing something with which
      they are already very familiar.

      I hope to hear from many of you. We have just finished a very exciting
      year which ended with a two week tour of Russia and a "homecoming" concert
      at the Chicago Symphony Orchestra's Day of Music last Saturday. That is a
      tough year to follow but we hope to make this one even better!

      To reach the practice rooms, first find Goodspeed Hall, which is at the SW
      corner of the main quadrangles of the University of Chicago (intersection
      of Ellis Ave. and 59th st.). When you enter, you will find elevator doors
      directly in front of you. To your right will be three steps going up and a
      wooden door. Going through the door takes you into the practice rooms.
      Look for a door with a "Golosa" sign on it. That's us.

      If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me or call me
      at 773-256-0370.

      best wishes,

      Noel Taylor, director