Golosa Russian folk choir holding auditions for new singers

  • Tamara Ghattas
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2010
      Golosa is a mixed-voice, mostly a cappella ensemble performing folksongs from pre-Soviet Russia. This music is rarely heard outside of certain parts of Siberia—which is a shame, because the rich polyphony, close harmonies, and quasi-improvisatory melodic lines are unusual, beautiful, and crazy fun to sing. Our mission is to keep this strange and lovely musical tradition alive, by doing ethnographic work in Siberia as well as performing and sharing the music around the U.S.

      Our recordings can be heard here: http://www.golosa.org/music.
      We were recently featured on NPR's Worldview: http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/content.aspx?audioID=40105.

      We rehearse Wednesday evenings on the University of Chicago campus in Hyde Park. No experience with Russian is necessary to sing with us, just a big voice. We sing most of our songs in a bright, forward style that you may have heard, for example, in music of Bulgarian women's choirs or folksongs of the republic of Georgia. At this time we are seeking all voice parts, but particularly alto and tenor.

      We will be auditioning new singers for the 2010–2011 season on the weekends of Sept. 25 and Oct. 2. To sign up for an audition, please visit our website at www.golosa.org and fill out the contact form, and we'll get in touch with you. For further information, please feel free to send me an e-mail!