Re: [Chicago-acappella] AcappellaFest Ideas for Success

  • Jeff Marks
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 25, 2009
      It's a marathon. Forget the workshops. Your audience base is wrong. You want to bring in a new audience to supplement this mailing list. And that means the show must be modified. Instead, each professional group (except headliner) gets 6 minutes, invite 4 highschool groups (like "Nine" or "Scat That"....every highschool now has small great groups) to perform one song each (this brings in parents, relatives and friends to your audience) so you build a base and future audience, and bring in the headliner to perform 20 minutes top, with no banter.    People who want more can get it at afterglow.  Current Publicity is lacking; radio and TV are desperate for live on air promotion, and that is lacking here. You need an articulate spokesman with b-roll footage of snippets of performers for tv, and then a live performance (a 15 second teaser before commercial break, then a 2 minute live window). For radio, need a CD of snippets, and 2 minutes of talking points. Must have an easy website address to put up on tv spot and to tell radio audiences to go to (for tickets and more info). Make the afterglow part of the selling point to your potential audience.  You would be shocked at the ticket sales that occur within minutes of a tv or radio appearance. Most newspapers now have a local section that will print your "story" (it's really a press release), and do this 2 weeks before the show.

      Jeffrey Marks
      Sent from my iPhone
      847-347-2526

      On Nov 24, 2009, at 9:42 AM, "gregvaden" <gvaden8982@...> wrote:

      Hello - As a member of the a cappella community, I am asking for your ideas. AcappellaFest, the Midwest's largest a cappella festival, has honestly been struggling just a bit. We've brought in folks like Scott Leonard of Rockapella, The Bobs, Blue Jupiter and have even added workshops to the mix but have failed to sell out! What would it take to get you to go out and support an a cappella event? Who would you pay to see LIVE? I guess by the number of your responses we receive, we'll find out just how passive this list is or not. Thanks. -Greg Vaden, elmoTHUMM Entertainment; AcappellaFest Producer

      =
    • Karen Jacobs/MAC
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 25, 2009
        My high school son contacted the fest's organizer a couple of years
        ago to ask if his HS acappella group (which has recorded yearly,
        regularly makes BOHSA) could be part of your fest.

        Frankly the response he got was discouraging. I don't remember who he
        talked to but whoever it was, was dismissive bordering on rude.

        Which is too bad for you and something to strongly reconsider for your
        future, as the good local groups come with a built in family & friends
        fan base and they could help spread the word thru local suburban
        communities.

        And it would be cool for the kids to have some exposure to the post-
        school acappella singers. My son would have been thrilled to meet
        Scott Leonard.

        If you decide to pursue, I can put you in touch with Glenbrook North's
        Ow! and also Glenbrook South's Nine (both male acappella, both
        excellent).

        Karen Jacobs