University of Miami Vocal Jazz Ensemble

  • Drew
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2008
      Hi everybody -

      I hope you're all doing well. My name is Drew Dahan. I'm a former member of the
      Chicagoland groups Vocal Chaos and An Octave Above, and I just finished my Masters
      Degree in jazz pedagogy at the University of Miami in Coral Gables, FL. As some of you
      may know, the jazz voice program at UM is among the finest in the country.

      This year, the group (which just co-won a DownBeat award for best jazz vocal ensemble
      in the country) is taking a trip to Chicago to do some recruiting at a few high schools in
      the area. There's one public concert that we're doing that we wanted to make you aware
      of.

      Next Thursday night, May 15th, Jazz Vocal Ensemble 1 (JV1) will be performing at Niles
      North High School in Skokie, IL. The concert is at 7:30 pm, and admission will be $3.00,
      which will go to a charity sponsored by Niles North HS. The concert will also feature Niles
      North's top vocal jazz ensemble, "Take One," opening for the group.

      I know this isn't quite a cappella, but some of the stuff we do is a cappella, and a good
      chunk of our tunes are more contemporary, and something I think a lot of you would
      enjoy. Again, here's the information on the performance. Also, if any of you are looking
      into MIami's music school, or have kids/friends/relatives that are doing so, we'll have
      some brochures and stuff about the programs at UMiami.

      Who: University of Miami JV1 (feat. Niles North HS "Take One")

      Where: Niles North HS
      9800 N. Lawler St.
      Skokie, IL 60077

      When: Thursday, May 15, 7:30 pm