  • Noel_Taylor
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2001
      Dear Friends of Golosa, the University of Chicago Russian Choir,

      Let me begin by expressing on behalf of the choir our heartfelt thanks for
      all of the support you have shown us since our founding in 1997. Thanks to
      your interest and enthusiasm we have been able to spend the last four
      years bringing the best of Russian folk music to the Chicago area. Now
      this September, we in Golosa are attempting to make our first tour to our
      spiritual homeland of Mother Russia, flying first to Moscow and then to
      Irkutsk and Ulan-Ude on the shores of Lake Baikal. In the village of
      Tarbagatay in the province of Buryatia we hope to spend five days with our
      friends in Sud'binushka, the Siberian folk choir from whom we have taken
      much of our repertoire, singing with them and learning from them a deeper
      appreciation of folksinging in its native environment.

      Right now we are attempting to pay for this adventure entirely with our
      own resources. We have been fortunate to find discounted student airfares
      and homestays in all the cities we hope to visit, bringing the total cost
      for each individual down to a mere $1000 for two weeks in Russia. Still,
      the cost of sending the group is considerably more than we currently have
      available.

      I am writing to you to ask for your support in this endeavor. If you have
      enjoyed our music in the past and would like to help us take full
      advantage of this unique opportunity, please consider making a donation to
      the group. Your donation will be completely tax-deductible through the
      University of Chicago. For a contribution of $40 or more we will be happy
      to send you a CD of both ourselves and Sud'binushka which we plan to
      record during the trip. Also, if you are interested in hiring the group to
      sing for an event, or in making a donation in exchange for a concert at
      some time in the future, we are still available at least until the end of
      May, and hopefully during the summer as well. Of course, donations of any
      size will be welcome and greatly appreciated.

      If you would like to make a tax-deductible donation to the choir, please
      contact me, Noel Taylor, either by email or phone at 773-256-0370. If you
      would like to speak with our representative at the University of Chicago,
      please call Sean Bruna, program coordinator for Student Activites, at
      773-702-7718.

      Thank you once again for all the support you have shown us over the
      years. We hope that you will continue to enjoy the music that has become
      so important to all of us and that we will see you at a concert soon.

      best wishes,

      Noel Taylor, director, Golosa