Mark Burnell at Northwestern Memorial--Benefit Show Planned

  • Joseph Schlesinger
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2006
      Some of you might remember an a cappella group active
      in Chicago during the 1990s that was called Cooler by
      the Lake. One of the members was Mark Burnell, a
      versatile & talented musician known area-wide &
      beyond.

      I recently received an alarming message that Mark was
      admitted to Northwestern Memorial Hospital with a very
      serious neurological condition--the following e-mails
      tell part of the story. Perhaps some of you know
      Mark--whether you do or not, read on . . .

      From: “MRD Music” <mrdmusic2001 @ ameritech . net>
      Subject: Mark Burnell In ICU @ Northwestern Memorial
      Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:02:22 -0500

      I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Mark Burnell
      is in ICU at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. I just
      got off the cell phone with his wife Anne Burnell( you
      may also know her as Ann Pringle). Mark has been in
      and out of a coma for the past several weeks, and his
      condition to say the least sounds quite precarious.
      I'm not a doctor, but it sounds as if he may have had
      several strokes. Let's all pray for his survival and
      recovery. For those of you who don't know Mark, he is
      a tremendous person, who plays many styles of piano
      and sings solo as well as with his various musical
      groups. He and Anne also have performed for years as a
      duo in the cabaret scene in Chicago, New York, and
      around the world. I'll keep you informed as to his
      progress, note there are rumours of a benefit to raise
      money to help defray the mounting costs.

      Mike Glick
      MRD Music Entertainment
      (847)433-0825

      [A couple of days later, I received a follow-up e-mail
      stating that Mark has been moved from the ICU to a
      regular room, but that recovery still seems a long way
      off.]

      * * * * *

      From: Burnell88 @ aol . com
      Subject: benefit for Mark Burnell
      Date: Sun 17 Sep 2006 10:17:00 –0500

      Hi,

      Daryl Nitz offered to put together a benefit for Mark,
      and others have offered to help. Ari Freede from Old
      Town is keeping the concert schedule for Mark’s groups
      up there, so maybe this can be one event or two
      different ones.

      I would like Daryl to direct the benefit. I will
      suggest performers. He just has a knack for keeping
      things moving along, and he directed us in a couple of
      our shows at Davenport’s and in New York. He is busy
      teaching school full time and working on the Chicago
      Cabaret Benefit at Park West in November. But with
      some help, he can get the job done.

      Mark has a deep connection to Gorham United Methodist
      Church and Old Town School of Folk Music. I have
      included their e-mails here.

      Rick Kogan (WGN) has had us on the show a few times,
      and he has been a long time supporter. Also, Mark has
      a blast playing in the John Burnett Orchestra. John
      has a radio show on WDCB. They may be able to help
      get the word out.

      Thank you for thinking of this and making it happen.
      It has been 3 weeks in the hospital, and no sign of
      leaving soon. But we are out of ICU, which is a step
      forward. Every day a little step....

      Love Anne

      --Joseph Schlesinger
      zinger99 @ juno . com (backup: schlesmail @ yahoo .