2006 Barbershop Harmony Society International Convention Webcast

  • Joseph Schlesinger
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2006
      Fellow A Cappella Aficionados:

      I think the following says it all, wordy as it is.
      The only thing that remains to be stated is a reminder
      that THREE choruses from Illinois (New Tradition, West
      Towns Chorus, & Brotherhood of Harmony), plus one
      quartet (Alchemy), & one collegiate quartet
      (Tesseract) will be in this year's contests at
      Indianapolis. For the order of contestants & other
      relevant info, check the Society's Web site:
      www.barbershop.org > Events > Indy 2006.

      I can tell you my chorus, New Tradition, is the 11th
      chorus in order of appearance in the chorus contest on
      Saturday, July 8, which begins at 11 a.m. EDT. An
      unprecedented 30 choruses are in this contest.

      This webcast is truly the next best thing to being in
      Indy for our Barbershop Olympics! And, of course,
      it's all strictly a cappella.

      --Joseph Schlesinger
      zinger99@... (backup: schlesmail@...)
      member North Wave Chorus (www.northwavechorus.com)
      member New Tradition Chorus (www.newtradition.org)
      founder Barbershop Harmony Chicagoland
      (www.bbs.singer.as--needs updating)
      847/328-0291

      * * * * *

      To paraphrase the famous Indy 500 phrase, “Websters,
      start your Browsers!” The 2006 Society Webcast for
      the Indianapolis convention is up and running.

      We are over two weeks ahead of where we were last
      year, so you now have the opportunity to “enter and
      sign in please”. Follow the directions and sign up
      today to avoid the rush, or last minute hassles on
      July 5th.

      Once signed up, you will only need your password to
      get connected for the whole four days!

      The webcast team has been refining this year’s
      program, and we hope you will agree that it is bigger
      and better than ever. To greatly assist the Society
      in spreading the word about this fantastic event, we
      are asking you for your help.

      Our first choice would be to have everyone in the
      Barbershop World in Indianapolis, but if you can’t
      make that happen this year, the webcast is the next
      best thing to being there. If you’re excited about
      the webcast, send the attached message to all on your
      e-mail list, and let them in on the listening and
      viewing pleasure. If you have an e-mail listing for
      patrons of your local chapter shows or performances,
      send it to them also. Spread the word to all we can,
      as we continue our endeavor to “Keep the Whole World
      Singing”.

      Visit http://webcast.riverbendmedia.com/barbershop/
      and you will be directed to where you need to be if
      you can’t be in INDY!

      Thanks for listening, and thanks for sending this
      notice to as many of your friends as possible.

      The 2006 Webcast Team.

      We are pleased to announce the schedule for our
      webcast and the hosts that will take us through the
      week of events. Several guests plan to stop by to join
      our web hosts for discussions as well as many of the
      competitors shortly after they leave the stage.
      We are also excited about the addition of a
      “SuperBand” connection for all those folks that are
      planning a get-together with friends and family who
      want to watch the webcast on a large screen TV. The
      “SuperBand” will be available for both the Friday and
      Saturday contest sessions.

      Look at this lineup (all times EDT; UTC/GMT -4 hours)
      Wednesday, July 5, 10:00 AM
      Opening Ceremonies, Quartet Quarter-Final Session I

      Wednesday, July 5, 7:00 PM
      Quartet Quarter-Final Session II

      Thursday, July 6, 12:00 Noon
      Quartet Semi-Finals

      Thursday, July 6, 7:30 PM
      Association of International Champions Show

      Friday, July 7, 11 AM
      International Chorus Contest I

      Friday, July 7, 6:30 PM
      International Chorus Contest II

      Saturday, July 8, 11:00 AM
      MBNA America Collegiate Barbershop Quartet Contest

      Saturday, July 8, 7:00 PM
      Father-Son-Grandson, Quartet Finals

      Whether on a slow dial-up phone line or a
      high-bandwidth DSL, cable, or corporate LAN
      connection, there are plenty of ways for you to hear
      and see the very best in barbershop entertainment.

      On Wednesday, July 5, we will begin by broadcasting
      the Opening Ceremonies live at 10 AM. The first
      session of Quartet Quarterfinals will begin shortly
      after the Opening Ceremonies and will be hosted by Joe
      Connelly and Jeff Selano. The second Quartet
      Quarterfinals, will begin at approximately 7 PM, and
      will be hosted by Mike Maino and Rick Taylor.

      On Thursday, the Quartet Semifinals will begin at
      approximately noon and will be hosted by Jeff Selano
      and Rick Taylor. Later that evening, the Association
      of International Champions Show will be broadcasted
      live, without web hosts, beginning at 7:30 PM.

      Friday is the main event for the International Chorus
      Contest. This year, there will be 30 choruses from
      around the world looking to take the Gold Medal.
      Because of the number of competitors, there will be
      two sessions of 15 choruses each, the first beginning
      at 11 AM and the second at 6:30 PM. Your hosts for the
      day will be Joe Connelly and Mike Maino.

      On Saturday morning, we will begin at approximately 11
      AM and broadcast the MBNA America Collegiate
      Barbershop Quartet Contest. Watch as these youngsters
      compete and follow in the footsteps of such college
      winners as Four Voices and Vocal Spectrum. Web hosts
      for this event will be announced shortly.

      At 7 PM, a very special event will take place. A
      Father-Son-Grandson chorus will be on center stage to
      present a couple of songs. Following the F-S-G chorus,
      the Quartet Finals will begin. Your hosts for this
      evening will be Jeff Selano and Rick Taylor. They will
      be there to wrap up the event and close out our 2006
      webcast.

      Our hosts:

      Joe Connelly is a full time vocal performance coach
      who travels the world coaching both men’s and women’s
      quartets and choruses. He is the only man in the 68
      year history of the Barbershop Harmony Society to win
      the International Quartet Championship 3 times! He is
      currently the director of the Tampa Show Chorus, a Top
      5 Sweet Adeline International medallist. He is
      currently singing with his multi-international quartet
      medallist dad, Mike, in Way Back When.

      Jeff Selano is a 5 time International medallist as
      bass of Riptide, now retired. He is a singing judge
      and has directed a chorus. He co-owns Atlanta Sound
      Machine, which records, engineers, edits, mixes and
      masters barbershop/a capella recordings.

      Rick Taylor is the tenor of Riptide. He also has 1
      Mid-Atlantic District Championship, two 3rd place
      International Chorus medals, one International
      Champion Chorus medal, four International Quartet
      Bronze medals singing baritone and three International
      Quartet Bronze medals singing tenor.

      Mike Maino has 45 years of barbershop experience. He
      has competed on the International stage in 19 Quartet
      contests and 11 Chorus contests with the Narragansett
      Bay Chorus. His emcee experience includes the annual
      Sweet Adeline’s Coronet Club, Showcase and
      introductions for all the International contest
      sessions. He is best known as the “Voice of the Sweet
      Adelines.”