Russian Choir auditions this weekend

  • nttaylor@enteract.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2005
      Dear friends of Golosa, the University of Chicago Russian Choir,

      Fall has arrived and that means it is once again time for auditions! If you are
      a singer who is ready for something different, please consider the following:

      * This is some of the most complex, challenging music anywhere. Harmonies
      are very close and major and minor seconds are readily embraced. The
      result is sometimes dissonant but always beautiful. And where else are
      singers encouraged to improvise their own vocal line as they sing?

      * These songs are a living art and connected to a culture halfway
      around the world. In fact we just visited Russia this summer! What
      other group will get you a ticket on the Trans-Siberian railway?

      * The parties are fantastic.

      We've been doing this for nine years now and we've gotten pretty good at it.
      You will be with people dedicated to making beautiful music that comes from
      the soul and speaks directly to the heart of the listener. And remember, you
      don't need to know Russian to sing with us, nor do you have to be a U of C
      student, nor do you have to be of a certain age. All voices are welcome to
      audition.

      If you're not already familiar with our sound, please visit our website at
      www.golosa.org and click on "music". "Pyesna o Burlakye" is especially
      representative of the dissonances I mentioned and shows off the unique style
      of the women's voices, but I hope you will enjoy all of the tracks there.

      We rehearse for two hours on Wednesday evenings in Hyde Park and give an
      average of two to three performances per quarter around Chicago and the
      surrounding area. This coming winter quarter is special in that we will be
      singing the Grechaninov Vespers (lesser known than those of Rachmaninov,
      but still lovely!) in partership with the U of C Rockefeller Chapel Choir.

      Please respond to this email to schedule an audition. Auditions will be held
      this Saturday and Sunday, October 1-2, from 11:00 to 3:00 in Hyde Park. Please
      indicate your preference of time. If you are unavailable on those days we will
      find a time when you can come to sing for us.

      I hope to see you soon!

      Noel Taylor, director