My Excellent Mormon Tabernacle Choir Adventure

  • schlesmail
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2005
      Thought I would share with all of you the once-in-a-lifetime
      experience I had singing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Sunday
      morning, July 10.

      I was in Salt Lake City, competing with my past international
      champion New Tradition Chorus in the Barbershop Harmony Society's
      international contest. The convention organizers set up a Sunday
      morning broadcast of the weekly religious program, "Music & the
      Spoken Word," followed by a special hour-long concert. In both
      presentations, the MTC was joined by a 550-man chorus made up of past
      Barbershop Harmony Society quartet & chorus champs, called the Gold
      Medal Chorus.

      The Conference Center, where the performances were held (since the
      Tabernacle is closed until 2006 for large-scale renovation), is an
      unbelievable hall, & singing with the MTC was an awe-inspiring
      experience, never to be forgotten.

      I've posted to the Photos section a picture that was taken our our
      joint choruses during the performances. It's a .jpg file
      titled "GoldMedalChorus-SaltLakeCityUT-071005."

      To give you an idea of the size of our combined group, the top half
      of the risers was occupied by the 360-voice MTC; the bottom half, by
      our 550-man Gold Medal Chorus (see if you can find me: I'm the guy
      wearing the blue blazer, white shirt, red tie, & tan slacks).

      OK, granted that very little of the performance was truly a
      cappella. The Gold Medal Chorus' rendition of "Deep River" was about
      the only selection that was unaccompanied; MTC had the impressive
      forces of an organ, drums, & bagpipes (!!!) to help them out.

      The hour-long concert will be broadcast on the Hallmark Channel on
      Sunday, Aug. 14 (6:30 a.m. Eastern & Pacific Times, 5:30 a.m. Central
      Time, & 4:30 a.m. Mountain Time), if you wish to see & hear something
      truly special. I also understand it's being played via streaming
      video on www.byutv.org, but I'm not sure how you can call it up.

      Oh, & if you'd like to see photos of New Tradition's contest set,
      they're on the chorus' Web site at
      www.newtradition.org/ntroster/Gallery -- despite turning in one of
      our most inspired & flawless performances ever, we finished in third
      place. All Barbershop Harmony Society contest performances are, of
      course, strictly a cappella.

      --Joseph Schlesinger
      zinger99 @ juno . com (backup: schlesmail @ yahoo . com)
      member North Wave Chorus (www.northwavechorus.com)