Illinois Members ONLY: Arts Education Funding Threatened! ACTION Requested

  • Joseph Schlesinger
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2005
      Fellow Illinois artists & fans: We need YOUR help!

      For much of the time I've been a barbershopper, I've
      had the pleasure & privilege of dealing with Lois
      Roewade, chair of the Evanston Arts Council. One of
      Lois' many attributes is that she is politically savvy
      & understands how the various arts funding
      organizations & legislative bodies interact. For that
      reason, Lois plays a valuable role here as the liaison
      between Evanston citizens & the city's arts community.

      Lois has alerted me to some emergency situations
      resulting from Illinois' much-publicized budget
      crisis. One of them was the threat of reduced funding
      during the coming fiscal year for the Illinois Arts
      Council. I have not heard any developments arising
      from a weekend legislative session that was to vote on
      this issue. However, an equally serious threat to the
      future of arts in Illinois is impending: arts
      education funding for the coming year is being
      considered in Springfield.

      The e-mail Lois sent me, calling for OUR immediate
      action, is below. Be aware that any reduction in
      statewide funding for arts education is likely to have
      an adverse long-term effect on performing arts
      organizations like ours.

      --Joseph Schlesinger
      zinger99 @ juno . com (backup: schlesmail @ yahoo .
      member North Wave Chorus & former Shoreliner Chorus
      member New Tradition Chorus (www.newtradition.org)
      founder Barbershop Harmony Chicagoland

      * * * * *

      Dear Arts Friends:

      Here's another important issue that I am asking you to
      respond to: tell the State legislature NOW that they
      must NOT reduce funding for arts education. Follow the
      link for an easy-to-send letter. Thanks ~ and have a
      great weekend!

      Lois Roewade, Chair
      Evanston Arts Council