Re: A capella in Louisville KY?

  • schlesmail
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2005
      Bluegrass Student Union & Michigan Jake are barbershop quartets, both
      made up of members of the Barbershop Harmony Society (formerly
      SPEBSQSA). Bluegrass Student Union are 1978 SPEBSQSA international
      champs, & Michigan Jake are 2001 SPEBSQSA international champs.

      There is quite a bit of barbershop activity in Louisville, if you're
      interested in that genre of a cappella. The Louisville
      Thoroughbreds, seven-time past SPEBSQSA international champion
      chorus, meet there, &, in fact, hosted the Society's international
      convention last July (I was there & had a ball!). There are two
      other men's barbershop choruses there, too: New Horizon & Louisville
      Times (the latter actually meets across the river in Jeffersonville,
      IN).

      I don't know whether you'd be interested in men's barbershop quartets
      &/or choruses or women's quartets &/or choruses, but there are three
      barbershop societies whose Web sites you can search for local groups
      by city:

      -Barbershop Harmony Society (men): www.spebsqsa.org
      -Sweet Adelines International, Inc. (women): www.sweetadelinesintl.org
      -Harmony, Inc. (women): www.harmonyinc.org

      I find it hard to believe that CASA doesn't list any other types of a
      cappella groups in Louisville, but then they appear to be updating
      their entire directory, & I have to imagine that's a mammoth task.

      --Joseph Schlesinger
      zinger99@... (backup: schlesmail@...)
      member Shoreliner Chorus (www.harmonize.ws/shoreliners)
      member New Tradition Chorus (www.newtradition.org)
      founder Barbershop Harmony Chicagoland (www.bbs.singer.as)
      847/328-0921
    • wolverine_94
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2005
        > I find it hard to believe that CASA doesn't list any other types of a
        > cappella groups in Louisville, but then they appear to be updating
        > their entire directory, & I have to imagine that's a mammoth task.

        Yes and no. It's done by a relatively simple PHP coding process. I've spoken
        with the webmaster, and he's a nice guy. However, he doesn't have all
        information about all the groups. In general, he took the old CASA website and
        moved it to this one. So, if there are obsolete or missing entries, it's
        because they already were there. If you happen to know of more information
        about groups, please email Volker Bauer at webmaster@....

        Loren

        Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
      • pudgecappella
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
          What kind of group are you looking for? Are you looking to join one?

          --- In Chicago-acappella@yahoogroups.com, "drchristiananderson"