Re: [Chicago-acappella] A capella in Louisville KY?

  • wolverine_94
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2005
      According to www.casa.org, there are 7 groups in the entire state of KY, of
      which 2 (Bluegrass Student Union and Michigan Jake) are listed as eminating
      from Louisville.

      Can anyone verify this information?

      Loren

      --- drchristiananderson <drchristiananderson@...> wrote:

      > Are there any a capella groups in Louisville KY

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • schlesmail
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2005
        Bluegrass Student Union & Michigan Jake are barbershop quartets, both
        made up of members of the Barbershop Harmony Society (formerly
        SPEBSQSA). Bluegrass Student Union are 1978 SPEBSQSA international
        champs, & Michigan Jake are 2001 SPEBSQSA international champs.

        There is quite a bit of barbershop activity in Louisville, if you're
        interested in that genre of a cappella. The Louisville
        Thoroughbreds, seven-time past SPEBSQSA international champion
        chorus, meet there, &, in fact, hosted the Society's international
        convention last July (I was there & had a ball!). There are two
        other men's barbershop choruses there, too: New Horizon & Louisville
        Times (the latter actually meets across the river in Jeffersonville,
        IN).

        I don't know whether you'd be interested in men's barbershop quartets
        &/or choruses or women's quartets &/or choruses, but there are three
        barbershop societies whose Web sites you can search for local groups
        by city:

        -Barbershop Harmony Society (men): www.spebsqsa.org
        -Sweet Adelines International, Inc. (women): www.sweetadelinesintl.org
        -Harmony, Inc. (women): www.harmonyinc.org

        I find it hard to believe that CASA doesn't list any other types of a
        cappella groups in Louisville, but then they appear to be updating
        their entire directory, & I have to imagine that's a mammoth task.

        --Joseph Schlesinger
        zinger99@... (backup: schlesmail@...)
        member Shoreliner Chorus (www.harmonize.ws/shoreliners)
        member New Tradition Chorus (www.newtradition.org)
        founder Barbershop Harmony Chicagoland (www.bbs.singer.as)
        847/328-0921
      • schlesmail

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2005
            > I find it hard to believe that CASA doesn't list any other types of a
            > cappella groups in Louisville, but then they appear to be updating
            > their entire directory, & I have to imagine that's a mammoth task.

            Yes and no. It's done by a relatively simple PHP coding process. I've spoken
            with the webmaster, and he's a nice guy. However, he doesn't have all
            information about all the groups. In general, he took the old CASA website and
            moved it to this one. So, if there are obsolete or missing entries, it's
            because they already were there. If you happen to know of more information
            about groups, please email Volker Bauer at webmaster@....

            Loren

            Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
          • pudgecappella
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
              What kind of group are you looking for? Are you looking to join one?

              --- In Chicago-acappella@yahoogroups.com, "drchristiananderson"