A capella in Louisville KY?

  • drchristiananderson
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 25, 2005
      Are there any a capella groups in Louisville KY
    • wolverine_94
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2005
        According to www.casa.org, there are 7 groups in the entire state of KY, of
        which 2 (Bluegrass Student Union and Michigan Jake) are listed as eminating
        from Louisville.

        Can anyone verify this information?

        Loren

        --- drchristiananderson <drchristiananderson@...> wrote:

        > Are there any a capella groups in Louisville KY

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • schlesmail
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2005
          Bluegrass Student Union & Michigan Jake are barbershop quartets, both
          made up of members of the Barbershop Harmony Society (formerly
          SPEBSQSA). Bluegrass Student Union are 1978 SPEBSQSA international
          champs, & Michigan Jake are 2001 SPEBSQSA international champs.

          There is quite a bit of barbershop activity in Louisville, if you're
          interested in that genre of a cappella. The Louisville
          Thoroughbreds, seven-time past SPEBSQSA international champion
          chorus, meet there, &, in fact, hosted the Society's international
          convention last July (I was there & had a ball!). There are two
          other men's barbershop choruses there, too: New Horizon & Louisville
          Times (the latter actually meets across the river in Jeffersonville,
          IN).

          I don't know whether you'd be interested in men's barbershop quartets
          &/or choruses or women's quartets &/or choruses, but there are three
          barbershop societies whose Web sites you can search for local groups
          by city:

          -Barbershop Harmony Society (men): www.spebsqsa.org
          -Sweet Adelines International, Inc. (women): www.sweetadelinesintl.org
          -Harmony, Inc. (women): www.harmonyinc.org

          I find it hard to believe that CASA doesn't list any other types of a
          cappella groups in Louisville, but then they appear to be updating
          their entire directory, & I have to imagine that's a mammoth task.

          --Joseph Schlesinger
          zinger99@... (backup: schlesmail@...)
          member Shoreliner Chorus (www.harmonize.ws/shoreliners)
          member New Tradition Chorus (www.newtradition.org)
          founder Barbershop Harmony Chicagoland (www.bbs.singer.as)
          847/328-0921
        • schlesmail

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2005
              > I find it hard to believe that CASA doesn't list any other types of a
              > cappella groups in Louisville, but then they appear to be updating
              > their entire directory, & I have to imagine that's a mammoth task.

              Yes and no. It's done by a relatively simple PHP coding process. I've spoken
              with the webmaster, and he's a nice guy. However, he doesn't have all
              information about all the groups. In general, he took the old CASA website and
              moved it to this one. So, if there are obsolete or missing entries, it's
              because they already were there. If you happen to know of more information
              about groups, please email Volker Bauer at webmaster@....

              Loren

              Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
            • pudgecappella
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
                What kind of group are you looking for? Are you looking to join one?

                --- In Chicago-acappella@yahoogroups.com, "drchristiananderson"