Audition notice sources

  • xenobiajd
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2005
      I'm a soprano--I've sung in groups of all sizes & pretty much all
      styles. I'm looking for something new and challenging but don't know
      where to start, or to find audition notices. I can't travel too far
      from the north side because of my day job and my family. Can anybody
      advise?
    • schlesmail
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2005
        Hi, all! This is in response to the request for audition notice
        resources. Some suggestions:

        Audition News, a monthly magazine containing listings of Chicago-area
        auditions & feature stories offering some good advice:
        6272 W. North Ave., Chicago, IL 60639
        phone: 630/894-2278, 773/622-4555; also try 773/637-4695
        (this info is a couple of years old, so some of it may have changed)
        [distributed free at many areawide locations; e.g., there's always a
        stack of current issues in the Music Admin. building at Northwestern
        U.--I believe you can also buy it at selected newsstands]

        PerformInk, a biweekly trade newspaper containing news about Chicago-
        area performing arts organizations, including audition listings:
        3222 N. Sheffield Ave., 3rd Floor, Chicago, IL 60657
        phone: 773/296-4600 - Web: www.performink.com
        [distributed free around the Chicago area; I've seen it in some of
        the small theatres in Lincoln Park]

        Chicago Reader, the free alternative weekly newspaper you can get
        just about anywhere in greater Chicagoland--not the best or most
        comprehensive source, but sometimes there are some good & interesting
        listings

        Craig's List Chicago--lots of good stuff, not just audition notices;
        access to this Web site is free to all:
        http://chicago.craigslist.org (there are links to lists for other
        metro areas worldwide, too)

        I also did a quick Google search using keywords "audition, news,
        chicago" & discovered an online discussion group called
        Vocalist.org. Check it out; you might find leads to other useful
        resources.

        --Joseph Schlesinger
        zinger99@... (backup: schlesmail@...)
        member Shoreliner Chorus (www.harmonize.ws/shoreliners)