"In the Mood" - Chicago a cappella Jazz and Pop concert - April 16, 17, 18

  • Ken Novak
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2004
      One of my favorite ensembles, Jonathan Miller's Chicago a cappella, is
      performing a weekend of jazz and pops concerts in the middle of April. I'm
      told the Oak Park concert is almost sold-out, but Loop and Evanston concerts
      have seats available.

      Their nine voices are magnificent, the harmonies superb, and their concerts
      always leave me with a wide smile. I've attached their press release with
      details below my name.

      Ken Novak
      Evanston

      Chicago, IL - Chicago a cappella presents a warm and breezy evening of vocal
      jazz and a cappella pop in its upcoming concert, "In the Mood." The
      acclaimed nine-voice ensemble will sing standards by Cole Porter, George
      Gershwin, Irving Berlin and others, all in fresh
      a cappella arrangements that make the tunes sound brand new. With nine
      superb singers, standards like "Blue Moon," "The Continental" and "The Very
      Thought of You" will take on new beauty. When Chicago a cappella last
      performed a jazz-pop concert, critics and audiences alike raved.
      ("Innovative arrangements, fresh harmonies and snappy delivery....The crowd
      gave the singers an immediate standing ovation."-Pioneer Press). Don't miss
      this relaxed evening of beautiful blend and fabulous music.

      "In the Mood" takes place Friday, April 16, 8:00 p.m., at the Chicago
      Cultural Center, 77 E. Randolph St. in Chicago; Saturday, April 17, 8:00
      p.m. at Unity Temple, 875 Lake St. in Oak Park; and Sunday, April 18, 7:30
      p.m., at Northwestern University's Lutkin Hall, 700 University Place in
      Evanston. For tickets and more information, call (773) 755-1628.

      Familiar Standards...

      Chicago a cappella will put a new spin on American standard songs with
      jazz-inspired a cappella arrangements. "In the Mood" will feature beloved
      tunes such as Cole Porter's "Night and Day" and "Let's Do It," George
      Gershwin's "Summertime," Irving Berlin's "Steppin' Out," and Rodgers and
      Hart's "Blue Moon." The ensemble will also perform songs made famous by
      Peggy Lee (John Davenport and Eddie Cooley's "Fever"), Nat King Cole (Roy
      Turk and Fred Ahlert's "Walkin' My Baby Back Home"), and Judy Garland
      (Harold Arlen's "Over the Rainbow"). Other favorites will include "We'll Be
      Together Again" (in an arrangement reminiscent of the Four Freshmen's
      classic version), Duke Ellington's swinging "It Don't Mean a Thing if it
      Ain't Got that Swing," and the big band signature song-"In the Mood"-that
      gives this concert its name.

      ...Fresh Arrangements

      Starting with a familiar song and making it sound brand new is the sign of a
      great arrangement. For this concert Chicago a cappella has chosen charts
      from the top vocal arrangers working today, and the result is sheer magic.
      Fans of the Swedish a cappella giants The Real Group will recognize their
      skillful arrangements of both original tunes ("I Sing, You Sing" and "The
      Eyes of a Child") and several jazz standards ("I'm With You" and "There Will
      Never Be Another You"). From the King's Singers comes a clever old-English
      madrigal version of the classic Beatles tune "Can't Buy Me Love." Steve
      Barnett, the producer of Chicago a cappella's Go Down, Moses CD, contributes
      a sultry and swinging version of "Out of this World"-a piece he originally
      arranged for Chanticleer.

      Chicago a cappella

      Chicago a cappella is the city's most entertaining and innovative classical
      vocal ensemble. The group offers a winning combination of superb ensemble
      singing, fascinating programs, and intimate, engaging performances. Under
      founder and artistic director Jonathan Miller, nine gifted singers deliver
      early and new music, spirituals, and vocal jazz with equal conviction and
      style. Since Chicago a cappella's first performance in 1993, the ensemble
      has presented over 80 concerts in the Chicago area in addition to guest
      appearances in six states and Mexico. The group's discography includes two
      early music CDs on Centaur Records, a CD of African-American spirituals (Go
      Down, Moses), and a live recording of seasonal music, Holidays a cappella
      Live. The group was praised by the Chicago Tribune for its "wit,
      imagination, flawless intonation, and an easy, idiomatic way with music of
      every period," and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch described the ensemble as
      "unusually fine...eclectic, enlightening and enjoyable."

      Calendar Editors, Please Note:

      [Category: Performing Arts / Music / Classical Music]

      Chicago a cappella, Jonathan Miller, artistic director: "In the Mood"

      Fri., 4/16/04, 8:00 pm, Chicago Cultural Center, 77 E. Randolph St., Chicago
      Sat., 4/17/04, 8:00 pm, Unity Temple, 875 Lake Street, Oak Park
      Sun., 4/18/04, 7:30 pm, Lutkin Hall, 700 University Place, Evanston
      Tickets: $25 / $20 senior / $12 student / group rates available

      For tickets call (773) 755-1628 or 1-800-SING-WOW (800/746-4969).
      More information and secure online ticket sales:
      http://www.chicagoacappella.org