Note from Rich Taylor...re: THN...The Harmony Network... a dream come true ?

  • RMTMUSIC@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2004
      Hi there folks...
      Hi there...lovers of barbershop harmony and acappella music;
      This is long, however, I hope you will read it through as being an important project that will benefit all people who love barbershop harmony and acappella music.
      Some of you will recognize my name, and maybe you have heard The "APPLAUSE" Show, or seen me on the men's International Webcast for the last 4 years), or maybe you have seen my responses to discussions on the various discussion groups.
      I am writing to YOU today because at sometime during my broadcast career with The "APPLAUSE" Show, your email address was important to the show.  Your address was included in either "listeners", "fans", "Recipients of Playlist Postings", "Contributors", "Friends" or "Important people in the Barbershop World" ..  Some of you fall into more than one group....which means you might get more than one copy of this report (and I apologize up front for that).   I am writing to YOU...as an individual, and even though thousands will receive this communication, I am really writing and talking today to YOU...
      What follows comes from my heart....I hope that you will read the email... Thanks for that right from the start.
      THN...The Harmony Network, a dream that was first envisioned in the fall of 2001 when we were moving the radio show from one radio station to another.  We began thinking about how we could create a radio station where there would be barbershop harmony and a cappella music all the time, with "Live" radio shows from all over the world.  At the time, we found that to create such a station, with licensing fees, equipment, talent, etc. would cost in excess of $150,000.00 and would require a fairly large operating budget.  So, we chose to continue with The "APPLAUSE" Show at a new location..which became WVRM Village Radio in Upper Montclair, NJ.  We began the "continued" broadcast of the origninal show in January of 2002 under the auspices and support of Regional Broadcasting Services.
      After we began with Regional Broadcasting Services, the owner of WVRM, we found that the CEO of the company enjoyed and actually liked barbershop harmony.  He has been a big supporter of The "APPLAUSE" Show and has commented many times that our style of music appears to have a large appeal to the public.  In the fall of 2002, we began exploring the idea of making WVRM a radio station that was 24/7 barbershop and acappella harmonies.  After about 6 months of discussions, we were given the word that he would consider turning the entire format of the station over to "us" as long as we could cover "basic" expenses of the station.   We wrote to most of you in March of 2003 to advise you of this important announcement.   We discovered that we could operate the entire 24/7 format for $2,000.00 per month that would cover the rent of the two studios (one broadcast and one for live in-studio guests), heat, electric, licensing, ASCAP fees, telephone line and streaming costs.  It has been planned from the beginning that all "talent" would be amateur and volunteer.  The annual cost is less than a third (1/3) of the budget that operated the station that The "APPLAUSE" Show aired on for the first 4 1/2 years.
      Since March of 2003, we have been broadcasting appeals to participate in the conversion of the station to the barbershop/acappella format.  In January of this year , we set the date for the conversion..April 1st.
      In the last two months, we have sent personal letters to three basic groups of people.  Letters have been sent to the Chapter Presidents of 240 chapters in the Men's barbershop harmony Society.  We have sent letters to the contacts for quartets in the Men's Society.  And we have sent letters to a lot of individuals who have been a part of the "APPLAUSE" Show through email support and through financial support.  We have also sent the information/solicitation letters to the main discussion groups in the acappella communities.
      We are in need of your help if this new project is to succeed.  Those of you who know me know that I am the eternal "optimist".  When we first knew of the costs associated with running the entire station, I did not have any doubt that the people involved with the acappella community would see the value and importance of this project and that the required money would be funded by them...you and I.  We are now about 3-4 weeks away from starting this new format and the funding has not come in.  Yes, we have had a number of donations...numbering about 10-15 so far.....but not the hundreds that I thought we would receive.  So I am appealing to anyone who believes in this project, (a project that will give anyone interested in barbershop harmony the ability to hear live interactive radio shows every day of the week, and who will hear acappella and barbershop harmony all day, every day in the year) to consider what you can do to support this project.  Maybe you aren't in a position to make a large contribution, but maybe you could print out the information, copy it and say something this week to your chapter and their members.  Perhaps, as a Board member, you could discuss the project at your chapter Board of Directors meeting to see if your chapter could send a donation.  And perhaps you sing in a quartet that performs for a fee and you would consider a donation from the quartet.  All of the information can be accessed at the website:
      Thank you for reading through this email... I wish I could talk to each one of you in person and tell you of my commitment to bringing the best of the barbershop world and the acappella community to each of you.
      "THN...The Harmony Network", has been a dream....Will you join me in making this dream come true.
      Rich Taylor, President, THN...The Harmony Network
      Host of the SPEBSQSA Int'l Webcast Team 2000-2003

      Host of
      The "APPLAUSE"Show

      Show Website: The "APPLAUSE" Show Website
      Thursday Night 6:30pm-11:00pm
      On the Internet at WWW.VILLAGERADIO.COM
      email us at : applause@...

      Continuous Broadcasting since 1997