auditions for Golosa

  • Noel Taylor
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2002
      Dear friends of Golosa, the University of Chicago Russian Choir,

      Audition time is here again! We are looking to expand the group by one
      male voice and one or possibly two female voices.

      In most ways our audition will be fairly typical. We'll start off with a
      warm-up and range test, followed by some tonal memory exercises. We will
      test for very basic sight-reading abilities, and might try to teach you an
      easy folksong.

      The audition will differ from others in one important way, however. Most
      of our songs are not sung in a traditional western, bel canto manner,
      but much more forward, nasal, and often very loud. As a final exercise, we
      will ask you to try singing in this style.

      As always, fore-knowledge of Russian is *not* required (though it is
      unquestionably helpful). In concert, all our songs are performed from
      memory.

      If you are basically comfortable with the above, I strongly encourage you
      to come try out. I very much appreciate that auditioning can sometimes be
      a little nerve-wracking, but I will try to make you as comfortable as
      possible.

      Auditions will be held from 11:00 until 3:00 on Monday, October 7 and
      Tuesday, October 8. All auditions (and rehearsals) will take place in Hyde
      Park, on the south side of Chicago. The whole audition will take about 20
      minutes.

      Auditions will be held by appointment, so please email me with your time
      preferences. If you absolutely can not come during the times listed above,
      let me know and we will find a time that works for you. I will email you
      back with a confirmation of your appointment and the address where
      auditions will be held.

      I look forward to hearing you!

      Noel Taylor, director