Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of 6 January 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2002
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Jan. 6, 2002

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. This meditation was written by the Rev. Robert
      Nugent.

      Please feel free to forward this to your friends.

      Read John 2:1-11

      Did you ever wonder what happened to that couple who will
      always be remembered because of the honored guest at their
      wedding? Did they ever tire of recounting that day over
      and over to their children and grandchildren? Did they
      remember their feelings of panic when they discovered
      they had no wine, their surprise at the sudden appearance
      of even better wine than they had purchased, the whispers
      that went around the wedding party about this man Jesus?
      Did this first of Jesus� signs bring them to faith in him
      or discipleship? Did they ever leave each other?

      Weddings and Holy Unions evoke profound feelings of
      happiness and deep feelings of pain in all of us, couples,
      singles, celibates, divorced, widows, and widowers. We
      are happy for these two who pledge their love and
      faithfulness to a life that calls for the transformation
      of the water of selfishness, individuality, and established
      ways into the wine of mutuality, respectful love, and
      continued growth. And yet we know of so many others who
      have for many reasons broken commitments to partners.

      Wedding and Holy Union ceremonies may also awaken in us
      our own deepest longing for someone who will never go away.
      In the light of this moment of crystallized fidelity and
      commitment, we may remember the lost chances, the broken
      commitments, the unhealed hurts of broken relationships
      in our own lives. At such moments we can turn to God,
      the one who embodies perfect fidelity to us all the way
      to death and beyond.

      Jesus, you are really the only one who will never go away.
      By your abiding presence, you help us to transform our
      isolation into community and our aloneness into intimacy.
      And when others go away, you are still there at the end,
      the best wine for us to drink at life�s wedding banquet,
      celebrating the union of our God-with-us. Amen.

      Grace and peace,

      R. Adam DeBaugh and Kevin Stone Fries

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,