Chi Rho Connection, Vol. II, No. 29

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2001

      The Chi Rho Press eNewsletter
      Vol. II, No. 29

      1. What Would You Like to See?
      2. Holiday Shopping Guide
      3. The Tenth Step to Recovery from Bible Abuse
      4. An Opportunity to be a Part of this Ministry
      5. Adam's Last Word: George Harrison, a Reflection

      electronic newsletter of Chi Rho Press. Thank you for
      passing this Chi Rho Connection on to others.

      To unsubscribe send an e-mail to

      to see our entire lines of books, handouts, tchochkas,
      and stained glass.

      Direct all other e-mail to Adam@.... See
      the end of this eNewsletter for a complete list of
      e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. What Would You Like to See?

      The Chi Rho Connection has gone through a number of
      changes over the past two and a half years since our
      first edition on May 1, 1999. And we are constantly
      looking for ways to make the Connection, our electronic
      newsletter, more interesting and useful to our readers
      and supporters.

      So, we invite you to write us and tell us what you would
      like to see in the Chi Rho Connection.

      Some of the ideas we are kicking around include book
      reviews (and not just of books we published, although
      those are welcome), brief stories about our readers’
      faith journeys, and possibly even short fiction. What
      do YOU think? What would you like to see in the Chi
      Rho Connection?

      Please write us at Connection@... with your
      ideas. Thanks!

      2. Holiday Shopping Guide

      Christmas is just a month away! Why not do some of
      your Christmas shopping at Chi Rho Press? You will
      have wonderful gifts to give your friends and
      loved ones and you will be supporting your LGBT Christian
      publishing house as well.

      Here are some great ideas for your holiday shopping:

      *****

      ‘Positively Gay’ (Third Edition) for an LGBT person just
      coming out, and even for someone who has been out for a
      while! Only $14.95, plus shipping and handling (six or
      more for $11.25 each), ‘Positively Gay’ is not yet
      available on our Web site. Send your check or money
      order for $17.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box
      7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      *****

      ‘Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse,’ by Dr. Rembert
      Truluck. A wonderful set of 52 Bible studies, one for
      every week, divided into Dr. Truluck’s famous 13 Steps to
      Recovery from Bible Abuse, plus lots of additional
      material. $24.95 each, six or more copies for $18.75
      each, plus shipping and handling. Order on our Web page.

      *****
      ‘Come Home! Reclaiming Spirituality and Community as Gay
      Men and Lesbians,’ second edition, by Chris Glaser. One
      of the best books from this popular Gay Christian author.
      ‘I rejoice that in this book all the gay men and lesbian
      women who have been robbed of their spirituality are issued
      an urgent invitation: Come Home!’ says Virginia Ramey
      Mollenkott. $19.95 each, six or more for $14.95 each, plus
      shipping and handling. Order on our Web page.

      *****
      ‘From Wounded Hearts: Faith Stories of LGBT People and
      Those Who Love Them,’ compiled by Roberta Showalter Kreider.
      This wonderful anthology is soon to be out of print and
      contains stories of 49 people of faith. The first two
      thirds of the book is by LGBT people, the last third is
      from friends and family members. $19.95 each, plus
      shipping and handling. Order on our Web page.

      *****

      ‘The Bible and Homosexuality,’ Fifth Edition, by the Rev.
      Michael E. England. (ISBN: 1-888493-13-5) Many thousands
      of this book are in circulation. The Fifth Edition updates
      this excellent study. Now in perfect binding, with color
      cover. Included are chapters on our understanding of
      ‘inspiration;’ critical interpretation; textual, historical,
      source, and form criticism; detailed discussions about
      scripture verses used to condemn homosexuality; the
      ‘contra naturam’ (against nature) argument; heterosexual
      marriages as the ‘only Biblical model;’ adultery and
      fornication; and a bibliography. $10.95 each, six or
      more copies for $8.95 each, plus shipping and handling.
      Order on our Web page.

      *****

      'The Road to Emmaus' an inclusive daily devotional by and
      for LGBT people of faith, $9.95 each, six or more copies
      for $7.50 each, plus shipping and handling. (Subscribers
      to the Chi Rho Connection also receive the Chi Rho
      Reflection at the beginning of each week, featuring a
      reading from 'The Road to Emmaus' from that week.)
      Order on our Web page.

      *****

      We have designed gift certificates that can be made out
      for any amount you care to give.

      These are not yet available on our Web site, so send your
      check with a note indicating that you are buying a Gift
      Certificate and we will make up an attractive Gift
      Certificate for the amount of your check for you to give
      along with a copy of our catalog.

      Chi Rho Press Gift Certificates make excellent gifts!
      Order some today at Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,

      Salvation Army Protest Cards in protest of the Salvation
      Army’s attempt to circumvent local and state civil rights
      laws protecting gay and lesbian people. The cards are
      4 ¼” by 2 ¾” on light green card stock. Considering the
      Salvation Army’s recent change of a brief decision of its
      Western Region to provide limited domestic partner
      benefits, we need to make a statement to them now more
      than ever.

      Our cards say, ‘Dear Salvation Army, While I appreciate the
      good works that you do in terms of feeding, clothing, and
      housing the poor and needy, I am appalled by your attempt
      this past summer to subvert local and state civil rights
      laws. Because of your homophobic policies, I am bypassing
      your Red Kettles this season and will be giving my
      charitable contributions to organizations friendly to the
      gay and lesbian community. Merry Christmas.’

      Buy a stock of cards and put one in the bucket every time
      you see a Salvation Army bell ringer this holiday season.

      Salvation Army Protest Cards are available at 15 cards for
      $1.00 plus shipping and handling. For one packet, shipping
      and handling is $0.50. For 2 or 3 packets, add $1.00
      shipping and handling. For 4 or 5 packets, add $2.00
      shipping and handling. For 6 or more packets our regular
      shipping and handling schedule applies. The shipping
      schedule is as follows.

      For orders up to $19.99 add $2.50;
      orders of $20 to $39.99 add $3.50;
      orders of $40 to $59.99 add $4.50;
      orders of $60 to $79.99 add $5.50;
      orders of $80 to $99.99 add $6.50;
      orders of $100 or more, add 7% of the order.

      Maryland residents, please add 5% sales tax.

      These are only available by direct mail, and are not on
      our Web site. We will send your Salvation Army Protest
      Cards by First Class Mail. Send your check or money order
      to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      *****

      Stained Glass: There are five designs to choose from on
      our Web page. In this issue we feature our rainbow cross.
      The rainbow cross is made of seven different pieces of
      glass (the arms have rectangles of red, orange, yellow,
      green, blue, and purple with a frosted clear center).
      They are handcrafted in the copper foil and solder method.
      They have an attached hoop so you may hang it in a window
      or from a Christmas tree as a holiday decoration. Our
      rainbow cross is $18.00, plus shipping and handling. Order
      on our Web page.

      *****

      A great gift for mom and dad! Chi Rho Press author Roberta
      Kreider is featured in a video produced by John Davis. The
      new video, 'Family Stories: Journeys of Spirit in Mixed
      Orientation Families,' featuring Roberta Kreider (compiler
      of 'From Wounded Hearts') and Mary Lou Wallner, with an
      introduction by the Rev. Peter J. Gomes. VHS format,
      color, 35 minutes, $29.95, shipping and handling included.
      It is only available through the mail. Please send your
      check or money order for $29.95 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box
      7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898. Pre-paid mail orders only
      please.

      *****

      Except where noted, please order on our secure shopping cart
      on our Web site at http://www.ChiRhoPress.com, using your
      credit card.

      3. The Tenth Step to Recovery from Bible Abuse

      (From Chapter 15 of 'Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse,' by Dr. Rembert Truluck, pages 313-314.)

      The Tenth Step: Develop Your Support System

      Find accepting and affirming people who can encourage you
      and share in your spiritual life and recovery. Others
      also need your support. Start your own Spiritual
      Recovery Group.

      ‘We who are strong ought to bear the weaknesses of those
      without strength and not just please ourselves. . . .
      Therefore accept one another just as Christ also accepted
      you to the glory of God.’ Romans 15:1, 7.

      All recovery programs include a time and place for people
      in recovery to meet and share with others who are dealing
      with the same issues and problems. You need and can help
      others who are facing and dealing with recovery from
      abusive and oppressive religion. You can learn from the
      experiences of others and they can learn from you.

      Finding an appropriate and supportive group can be
      difficult. Churches usually are indifferent or even
      hostile to gay and lesbian people who are dealing with
      how the church has hurt them. Some churches, such as
      the Metropolitan Community Churches (MCC) and a growing
      number of traditional churches, are reaching out in love
      and acceptance of gay people without judgment or
      condemnation.

      You can start your own group. You do not have to have a
      large group of people to begin. Two people can develop a
      time and place for dialogue and sharing that will be
      encouraging and supportive to them. Do not be discouraged
      if you never move beyond two or three people in your
      group. Keep it simple.

      Jesus met with his group of close friends outdoors, in
      homes, and in a variety of places. Meeting in a home or
      in a public place like a coffee shop or at local gay,
      lesbian, bisexual, or transgendered centers are some of
      the various settings for many kinds of recovery programs.
      As in all recovery programs, the purpose of a group is
      not to preach or promote any organization but to be open,
      accepting, and nonjudgmental. Creating an atmosphere of
      mutual respect and acceptance encourages growth,
      self-esteem, and healthy, healing dialogue.

      *****

      The Tenth Step continues with Bible studies on Stand By
      Me, Love in Action, how to Include Everybody, and Group
      Dynamics According to Jesus.

      You may buy 'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse' on the
      Chi Rho Press Web site, http://www.ChiRhoPress.com, using
      your credit card on our secure shopping cart.

      4. An Opportunity to Participate in this Ministry

      Volunteers needed! Are you in the Washington DC
      metropolitan area? If so Chi Rho Press can always benefit
      from your volunteer time! Data entry, filing, general
      office work is always needed.

      You don’t live in the DC area? We also are looking for
      volunteer editors and graphic artists.

      Write the Office Manager at Kevin@....

      5. Adam's Last Word: George Harrison, a Reflection

      George Harrison has died. The ‘Quiet Beatle,’ they called
      him. A guitar player and a singer of songs. My
      generation (I am just four years his junior) grew up with
      the Beatles, George was the youngest. Their songs touched
      us, made us laugh, and helped us live in some profound
      and powerful ways.

      NPR reported that George’s family said in their statement
      about his death, ‘He left this world as he lived in it,
      conscious of God, fearless of death, and at peace,
      surrounded by family and friends. He often said,
      ‘Everything else can wait but the search for God cannot
      wait, and love one another.’’

      That struck me as a pretty good epitaph to which to
      aspire. When I heard that, I was driving to work at
      my secular job. Now, as you may know, I am in a
      ‘tent-making ministry,’ that is, I have a secular job to
      support my ministry with Chi Rho Press. That phrase comes
      from Scripture. We are told the Apostle Paul made his
      living as a tent maker while he was preaching and teaching
      the Gospel of Jesus.

      Being a ‘tent-maker’ in this day and age can be rather
      stressful. Time is a precious commodity. Money is often
      an issue. Energy tends to flag, big time!

      I sometimes drag myself to my secular job in the morning,
      often after being at my desk at Chi Rho Press until after
      midnight. I often hope I can not only make it through
      the day, but have enough energy to put in another four or
      five hours at the Press tonight.

      But today, as I drove to my secular job, NPR told me
      about George Harrison’s death and that elegant little
      obituary phrase. There was much more, of course, it was
      a long story, even for ‘National Pretentious Radio.’ But
      that elegiac line has remained with me.

      ‘He left this world as he lived in it, conscious of God,
      fearless of death, and at peace.’

      My prayer is that I can live conscious of God, fearless
      of death, and at peace.

      Advent starts this Sunday, the beginning of the church
      year and the beginning of the Christmas season. Never
      forget the ‘reason for the season,’ my brothers and
      sisters. As we experience the Advent, or the coming,
      of Emmanuel, meaning ‘God with us,’ this is a wonderful
      time to practice being conscious of God.

      O come, O come, Emmanuel. God bless you.

      If you've received the Chi Rho Connection as a result of the
      good offices of someone passing it along to you (which
      we certainly encourage) and would like to receive it
      directly from us, please follow the directions at the
      end of this Connection to subscribe.

      To order, please visit http://www.ChiRhoPress.com. You
      may pay by credit card on our web page or we will ship
      order. Include your e-mail address, mailing address,
      and telephone number please.

      If you have questions, please write to
      Question@....

      For comments and suggestions
      about this eNewsletter, please write
      Connection@....

      To learn about our Guardian
      Angel Individual Sponsor Program, please write
      Angels@....

      For all other correspondence,
      please write Adam@....

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her new Web page,
      http://www.christiangays.com.

      Kevin Stone Fries, Editor/Office Manager,
      Kevin@....