Chi Rho Connection, Vol. II, No. 27

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2001

      The Chi Rho Press eNewsletter
      Vol. II, No. 27

      ‘In the case of good books, the point is not to see how
      many of them you can get through, but rather how many
      can get through to you.’ Mortimer Jerome Adler

      Just a reminder: contributions to Chi Rho Press are
      fully tax deductible. We need your support and
      partnership in this ministry.

      electronic newsletter of Chi Rho Press. Thank you for
      passing this Chi Rho Connection on to others.

      To unsubscribe send an e-mail to

      to see our entire lines of books, handouts, tchochkas,
      and stained glass.

      Direct all other e-mail to Adam@.... See
      the end of this eNewsletter for a complete list of
      e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. Opening the Mail Bag
      2. Holiday Shopping Guide
      3. The Eighth Step to Recovery from Bible Abuse
      4. Upcoming Chi Rho Press Events
      5. An Opportunity to be a Part of this Ministry

      1. Opening the Mail Bag

      We received a very kind letter from Carol Legenc in
      Adrian, Michigan, who gave us permission to share
      her note with our readers.

      Carol sent a check for a copy of ‘From Wounded Hearts’
      and wrote, ‘I work in a library and borrowed a copy on
      Interlibrary Loan. I have marked so many pages with sticky
      notes, I realize that I definitely need my own copy. I
      think it is a wonderful book! I’m a Reconciling United
      Methodist, have read many books about and by LGBT persons
      and my heart is dedicated to helping bring love and
      full acceptance into our church for these dear persons.
      I feel I am a kindred spirit to Mrs. Kreider.

      ‘For the past 3 years, I have been on a special journey in my
      walk with Christ. I lost my dear pastor and his wife when
      they suffered hurt and disillusionment after disclosing to
      our congregation that their son is gay.

      To this day, even though they are in a different church, we
      remain family-close. Our current pastor embraces the United
      Methodist discipline’s view that homosexuality is
      ‘incompatible with Christian teaching.’ In an effort to help
      him to change his heart, I have been reading and studying so
      that I can hopefully change his mind and then work within our
      congregation to become welcoming to all LGBT persons fully
      into our church life. This book is definitely filled with
      wonderful testimonies from these dear persons.

      ‘Thank you for publishing your wonderful books!’

      We will keep Carol and her powerful ministry in our prayers,
      as well as the pastor who was forced to leave his ministry
      just because his son is gay, and Carol’s new pastor, that his
      mind and heart may be opened to the truth of God’s love
      for all people.

      2. Holiday Shopping Guide

      Christmas is just a little over a month away! Why not do
      some of your your Christmas shopping at Chi Rho Press?
      You will have wonderful gifts to give your friends and
      loved ones and you will be supporting your LGBT Christian
      publishing house as well.

      Here are some great ideas for your holiday shopping:

      *****

      'The Road to Emmaus' an inclusive daily devotional by and
      for LGBT people of faith, $9.95 each, six or more copies
      for $7.50 each, plus shipping and handling. (Subscribers
      to the Chi Rho Connection also receive the Chi Rho
      Reflection at the beginning of each week, featuring a
      reading from 'The Road to Emmaus' from that week.)

      *****

      We have designed gift certificates that can be made out
      for any amount you care to give.

      These are not yet available on our Web site, so send your
      check with a note indicating that you are buying a Gift
      Certificate and we will make up an attractive Gift
      Certificate for the amount of your check for you to give
      along with a copy of our catalog.

      Chi Rho Press Gift Certificates make excellent gifts!
      Order some today at Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,

      Salvation Army Protest Cards in protest of the Salvation
      Army’s attempt to circumvent local and state civil rights
      laws protecting gay and lesbian people. The cards are
      4 ¼” by 2 ¾” on light green card stock. Considering the
      Salvation Army’s recent change of a brief decision of its
      Western Region to provide limited domestic partner
      benefits, we need to make a statement to them now more
      than ever.

      Our cards say, ‘Dear Salvation Army, While I appreciate the
      good works that you do in terms of feeding, clothing, and
      housing the poor and needy, I am appalled by your attempt
      this past summer to subvert local and state civil rights
      laws. Because of your homophobic policies, I am bypassing
      your Red Kettles this season and will be giving my
      charitable contributions to organizations friendly to the
      gay and lesbian community. Merry Christmas.’

      Buy a stock of cards and put one in the bucket every time
      you see a Salvation Army bell ringer this holiday season.

      Salvation Army Protest Cards are available at 15 cards for
      $1.00 plus shipping and handling. These are only available
      by direct mail, and are not on our Web site at this time.
      Send your check or money order to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box
      7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898. (E-mail us at
      Orders@... for exact cost with shipping of a
      specific number of cards.)

      *****

      ‘Positively Gay’ for an LGBT person just coming out, and
      even for someone who has been out for a while! Only
      $14.95, plus shipping and handling (six or more for
      $11.25 each), ‘Positively Gay’ is not yet available on
      our Web site. Send your check or money order for $17.45
      for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg,
      MD 20898.

      *****

      Stained Glass: There are five designs to choose from on
      our Web page. In this issue we feature our stained glass
      lesbian/gay rainbow flags. A solid rectangle of bright red,
      orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple glass, four inches
      by six inches, with two loops for hanging. The rainbow flag
      has become an international symbol of Gay/Lesbian Pride.
      Show your pride! $18.00 each, plus shipping and handling.
      You may see a picture of this stained glass Gay Flag on
      our Web page, and order using your credit card.

      *****

      A great gift for mom and dad! Chi Rho Press author Roberta
      Kreider is featured in a video produced by John Davis. The
      new video, 'Family Stories: Journeys of Spirit in Mixed
      Orientation Families,' featuring Roberta Kreider (compiler
      of 'From Wounded Hearts') and Mary Lou Wallner, with an
      introduction by the Rev. Peter J. Gomes. VHS format,
      color, 35 minutes, $29.95, shipping and handling included.
      It is only available through the mail. Please send your
      check or money order for $29.95 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box
      7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898. Pre-paid mail orders only
      please.

      *****

      Rainbow Key Chains and Rainbow Bracelets make great
      stocking stuffers. Only $2.00 each (plus shipping and
      handling), you may see a picture of these items and order
      them on our Web site.

      *****

      Except where noted, please order on our secure shopping cart
      on our Web site at http://www.ChiRhoPress.com, using your
      credit card.

      3. The Eighth Step to Recovery from Bible Abuse

      (From Chapter 13 of 'Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse,' by Dr. Rembert Truluck, page 251-252.)

      The Eighth Step: Read and Study the Gospels.

      Preparatory Bible Reading: Read the four Gospels.

      Learn the content of the Gospels, especially Luke and John.
      Saturate your mind with the life of Jesus. Become your own
      expert on what it means to follow Jesus. Many people have
      found that they gain a better picture of Jesus by reading
      through the Gospel of Mark (it is only 16 chapters)
      in one sitting.

      Use a good modern language translation for this exercise.
      You will notice things about Jesus that you did not
      realize before.

      My friend Paul, who was director of an HIV/AIDS support
      ministry in San Francisco, was going through a lot of stress
      about his work. He agreed to read through the Gospel of Mark
      and let me know what he learned. When we met a couple of
      days later, Paul said he read Mark and did not like what he
      learned! I asked, ‘Why?’

      Paul answered, ‘Jesus also had volunteers who did not show
      us!’ The last time I read all the way through Mark, I was
      struck by the attitude of urgency in the mission of Jesus.
      I made me aware that I needed to become more urgent about
      getting this book written so that you might have it today.
      Please read through Mark and see what you learn about Jesus
      that speaks directly to you.

      ‘These have been written that you may believe [continuously
      believe] that Jesus is the Christ, the child of God: and that
      believing [following] you may have life in Jesus’ name.’
      (John 20:30)

      Studying and learning the story of Jesus in the Gospels is
      necessary if you really want to follow Jesus in your
      spiritual recovery and growth. Learning the content of
      Luke and John will take time and discipline. Learning
      these inclusive and Jesus-centered documents can be made
      easier by sharing your study with at least one other person.

      *****

      The Eighth Step continues with Bible studies on
      Jesus Made All Things New, How Women Disciples Changed the
      World, Jesus Was Misunderstood, and Jesus and
      HIV/AIDS.

      You may buy 'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse' on the
      Chi Rho Press Web site, http://www.ChiRhoPress.com, using
      your credit card on our secure shopping cart.

      4. Upcoming Chi Rho Press Events

      Nov. 17, Chi Rho Press Board of Directors meeting.

      Nov. 25, Traveling Bookstore at Imago Dei MCC, Media, PA.
      www.imagodeimcc.org

      5. An Opportunity to Participate in this Ministry

      Guardian Angels: Become an Angel On-line! You
      may make contributions to the ministry of Chi Rho Press
      on our Web site, http://www.ChiRhoPress.com. Don’t
      forget, contributions to the ministry of Chi Rho Press are
      fully tax deductible.

      To put tax deductible contributions on your credit card,
      using our secure shopping cart on our Web page, go to
      http://www.chirhopress.com/frame_sponsor.html.

      Highlight the numeral 1 in the box and type in the amount
      you want to contribute (for instance, $150 to become a
      Guardian Angel). Click the Add to Cart link to the right
      of the amount box and the Shopping Cart will come up
      and you can either continue shopping or click on Check Out
      Now, which will take you through the check out process,
      asking you for your credit card number, etc. Be sure to
      give us your mailing address as well as e-mail address so
      we can send you your welcome gifts.

      If you have specific questions about the Guardian Angel
      Program, you may e-mail us at Angels@...,
      or telephone us at 301/926-1208.

      Well the Mid-Atlantic District Conference was wildly
      successful last week. It was very well attended and the
      workshops and worship services were enlightening
      and moving.

      The Chi Rho Press Traveling Bookstore was a great success
      as well. Many thanks to our volunteers Heather Owens and
      Jim Weitz, and board member Steve Barchers,for helping staff
      the bookstore. And thanks also to Glenn Wallace for
      preparing the large poster advertising our raffle! It was
      good for Kevin Fries and I to be able to actually participate
      in part of the conference rather than being chained to the
      bookstore for two entire days, so our volunteers receive
      our special gratitude.

      *****

      And speaking of the raffle, Jim Wilder won the Basket of
      Books in our Raffle. Jim is a former member of the
      Mid-Atlantic District Committee and has been an active member
      of the Metropolitan Community Church of Washington for many
      years. Congratulations, Jim!

      *****

      At the conference we received a very generous gift to start
      a fund to print ‘Living as the Beloved’ by the
      Rev. Dr. Sandy Bochonok. Such contributions are
      tax-deductible, you know! The fund is sitting in a savings
      account to accrue a little interest (not as much interest as
      our Promissory Notes give to our loyal investors, but still,
      some interest!).

      *****

      We also welcomed two new Guardian Angels, the Rev’ds. Marty
      Luna and Maria Wolfe at New Life MCC in Norfolk, and
      Mr. Michael Tan of Baltimore. Welcome and thanks for your
      support! We are so pleased that more people are joining
      the ministry of Chi Rho Press by becoming Guardian Angels.

      *****

      Thursday is Thanksgiving here in the USA and the board and
      staff of Chi Rho Press wish you a very blessed Thanksgiving
      Day. With all the trouble around the country in the past few
      months it would be easy to think that there is little to be
      thankful for. But we know that this is not true. We all have
      so much for which to give thanks. In the midst of all the
      food, football,movies,friends, and family, take time to give
      thanks to God for all you have.

      *****

      The Chi Rho Press offices will be closed Thursday and Friday
      for the Thanksgiving holiday.

      If you've received the Chi Rho Connection as a result of the
      good offices of someone passing it along to you (which
      we certainly encourage) and would like to receive it
      directly from us, please follow the directions at the
      end of this Connection to subscribe.

      To order, please visit http://www.ChiRhoPress.com. You
      may pay by credit card on our web page or we will ship
      order. Include your e-mail address, mailing address,
      and telephone number please.

      If you have questions, please write to
      Question@....

      For comments and suggestions
      about this eNewsletter, please write
      Connection@....

      To learn about our Guardian
      Angel Individual Sponsor Program, please write
      Angels@....

      For all other correspondence,
      please write Adam@....

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her new Web page,
      http://www.christiangays.com.

      Kevin Stone Fries, Editor/Office Manager,
      Kevin@....