Chi Rho Connection, Vol. II, No. 26

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2001

      The Chi Rho Press eNewsletter
      Vol. II, No. 26

      Just a reminder: contributions to Chi Rho Press are
      fully tax deductible. We need your support and
      partnership in this ministry.

      electronic newsletter of Chi Rho Press. Thank you for
      passing this Chi Rho Connection on to others.

      To unsubscribe send an e-mail to

      to see our entire lines of books, handouts, tchochkas,
      and stained glass.

      Direct all other e-mail to Adam@.... See
      the end of this eNewsletter for a complete list of
      e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. Eight Ways to Encourage Your Pastor
      2. Holiday Shopping Guide
      3. The Seventh Step to Recovery from Bible Abuse
      4. Upcoming Chi Rho Press Events
      5. An Opportunity to be a Part of this Ministry

      1. Eight Ways to Encourage Your Pastor

      This came from ChristianityToday.com, via Cecelia Eggleston,
      UFMCC’s European District Coordinator and Judy Dale,
      UFMCC’s Great Lakes District Coordinator. I have omitted
      the explanatory text since the eight ways to encourage your
      pastor seem pretty self-explanatory. These eight tips are
      good in any kind of relationship, by the way!

      (1) Cut the criticism.
      (2) Pray regularly.
      (3) Express your appreciation in writing.
      (4) Use your skills to bless.
      (5) Squelch gossip.
      (6) Offer to meet a need in your church.
      (7) Be openly responsive.
      (8) Throw away the measuring stick.

      2. Holiday Shopping Guide

      Christmas is less than two months away! Why not do all
      your Christmas shopping at Chi Rho Press? You will have
      wonderful gifts to give your friends and loved ones and
      you will be supporting your LGBT Christian publishing
      house as well.

      Here are some great ideas for your holiday shopping:

      *****

      We have designed gift certificates that can be made out
      for any amount you care to give.

      These are not yet available on our Web site, so send your
      check with a note indicating that you are buying a Gift
      Certificate and we will make up an attractive Gift
      Certificate for the amount of your check for you to give
      along with a copy of our catalog.

      Chi Rho Press Gift Certificates make excellent gifts!
      Order some today at Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,

      Salvation Army Protest Cards in protest of the Salvation
      Army’s attempt to circumvent local and state civil rights
      laws protecting gay and lesbian people. The cards are
      4 ¼” by 2 ¾” on light green card stock.

      They say, ‘Dear Salvation Army, While I appreciate the good
      works that you do in terms of feeding, clothing, and
      housing the poor and needy, I am appalled by your attempt
      this past summer to subvert local and state civil rights
      laws. Because of your homophobic policies, I am bypassing
      your Red Kettles this season and will be giving my
      charitable contributions to organizations friendly to the
      gay and lesbian community. Merry Christmas.’

      Buy a stock of cards and put one in the bucket every time
      you see a Salvation Army bell ringer this holiday season.

      Salvation Army Protest Cards are available at 15 cards for
      $1.00 plus shipping and handling. These are only available
      by direct mail, and are not on our Web site at this time.
      Send your check or money order to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box
      7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898. (E-mail us at
      Orders@... for exact cost with shipping of a
      specific number of cards.)

      *****

      ‘Positively Gay’ for an LGBT person just coming out, and
      even for someone who has been out for a while! Only
      $14.95, plus shipping and handling (six or more for
      $11.25 each), ‘Positively Gay’ is not yet available on
      our Web site. Send your check or money order for $17.45
      for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg,
      MD 20898.

      *****

      Stained Glass: There are five designs to choose from on
      our Web page. In this issue we feature our stained glass
      cross, a simple, yet striking addition to any window.
      Made from five pieces of glass and measuring seven inches
      high and four inches wide, these crosses are hand crafted
      in the copper foil and solder method. The cross has an
      attached loop so you may hang it in any window to catch
      the light and remind all of the power of our faith. The
      arms of the cross are clear, frosted glass and the center
      square is red. $12.00 each, plus shipping and handling.
      You may see a picture of this stained glass cross and order
      on our Web page, using your credit card.

      *****

      ‘The Bible and Homosexuality,’ Fifth Edition, by the Rev.
      Michael E. England. (ISBN: 1-888493-13-5) The fifth
      edition of our best selling book! Many thousands of this
      book are in circulation. The Fifth Edition updates this
      excellent study. Now in perfect binding, with color cover.
      Included are chapters on our understanding of ‘inspiration;’
      critical interpretation; textual, historical, source, and
      form criticism; detailed discussions about scripture
      verses used to condemn homosexuality; the ‘contra naturam’
      (against nature) argument; heterosexual marriages as the
      ‘only Biblical model;’ adultery and fornication; and a
      bibliography. $10.95 each, six or more copies for $8.95
      each, plus shipping and handling. Order on our Web page.

      *****

      ‘Families Re-Membered: Pastoral Support for Friends and
      Families Living with HIV/AIDS,’ by the Rev. Louis F. Kavar,
      Ph.D. (ISBN: 1-888493-03-8) HIV/AIDS causes families to
      be re-structured, enlarged and changed ‘re-membered.’
      This book explores the dynamics of family systems and the
      realities of extended families of choice in the context of
      HIV/AIDS and any terminal illness. $10.95 each, six or
      more copies for $8.25 each, plus shipping and handling.
      Order on our Web page.

      *****

      ‘I'm Still Dancing! A Gay Man's Health Experience,’ by the
      Rev. A. Stephen Pieters. (ISBN: 1-888493-04-6) A powerful
      book by a long-term survivor of AIDS: articles, sermons and
      journal entries chronicle life with AIDS. Sick since 1982
      and diagnosed with AIDS in 1984, Steve's cancers have gone
      into complete remission and he remains well to this day.
      He served for many years as Field Director of the UFMCC's
      AIDS Ministry. $8.95 each, six or more copies for $6.75
      each, plus shipping and handling. Order on our Web page.

      *****

      A great gift for mom and dad! Chi Rho Press author Roberta
      Kreider is featured in a video produced by John Davis. The
      new video, 'Family Stories: Journeys of Spirit in Mixed
      Orientation Families,' featuring Roberta Kreider (compiler
      of 'From Wounded Hearts') and Mary Lou Wallner, with an
      introduction by the Rev. Peter J. Gomes. VHS format,
      color, 35 minutes, $29.95, shipping and handling included.
      It is only available through the mail. Please send your
      check or money order for $29.95 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box
      7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898. Pre-paid mail orders only
      please.

      *****

      Rainbow Key Chains and Rainbow Bracelets make great
      stocking stuffers. Only $2.00 each (plus shipping and
      handling), you may see a picture of these items and order
      them on our Web site.

      *****

      Except where noted, please order on our secure shopping cart
      on our Web site at http://www.ChiRhoPress.com, using your
      credit card.

      3. The Seventh Step to Recovery from Bible Abuse

      (From Chapter 12 of 'Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse,' by Dr. Rembert Truluck, page 223.)

      The Seventh Step: Find Positive Supportive Scripture

      Make a list of the Bible passages that especially speak to
      you and give you hope and encouragement.

      John 3:16-17 is a good beginning, ‘God so loved the world
      [YOU] that God gave God’s only begotten child, Jesus, that
      whosoever [YOU] believes in Jesus should nor perish [throw
      away your life], but have eternal life. For God did not
      send Jesus into the world to condemn the world but that the
      world through Jesus should be set free [saved].’

      See also Psalm 100; the Book of Ruth; the story of David
      and Jonathan in 1 Samuel 18:1 through 20:42 and 2 Samuel
      1:1-27; John 14 through 17; Matthew 28:1-20; Galatians 3
      through 6; 1 Peter 3 through 5; Romans 5:1-11; 8:1-4,
      14-39; 15:1-7; and all of Romans 5 through 8.

      Many other Bible passages are helpful and encouraging to
      people who are abused, misunderstood, outcasts, and
      oppressed. Discuss the Bible in your group and encourage
      people to suggest Bible passages that have helped them.

      *****

      The Seventh Step continues with Bible studies on Death
      Alone Shall Part Us: Ruth and Naomi, What Love Has Joined:
      David and Jonathan, God Knows Your Name, and Jesus and Same-
      Sex Love.

      You may buy 'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse' on the
      Chi Rho Press Web site, http://www.ChiRhoPress.com, using
      your credit card on our secure shopping cart.

      4. Upcoming Chi Rho Press Events

      Tomorrow and Saturday, Nov. 9 and 10, the Mid-Atlantic
      District Conference, Hagerstown, MD. Chi Rho Press will
      have a book table in the Conference Book Store, selling
      books, handouts, stained glass, videos and tapes, and other
      items. Visit www.mcc-midatl.org for more information.
      Come join us in Hagerstown and say hello!

      Nov. 17, Chi Rho Press Board of Directors meeting.

      Nov. 25, Traveling Bookstore at Imago Dei MCC, Media, PA.
      www.imagodeimcc.org

      5. An Opportunity to Participate in this Ministry

      Volunteers needed! Are you in the Washington DC
      metropolitan area? If so Chi Rho Press can always benefit
      from your volunteer time! Data entry, filing, general
      office work is always needed.

      You don’t live in the DC area? We also are looking for
      volunteer editors and graphic artists.

      Write the Office Manager at Kevin@....

      We are getting ready to go to the UFMCC Mid-Atlantic
      District Conference in Hagerstown, MD. Our Editor/Office
      Manager Kevin Stone Fries and I leave tonight (Thursday)
      and will set up our traveling bookstore. This time around
      we have lots of new and different things, the Salvation
      Army Protest Cards, ‘Positively Gay,’ the ‘Family Stories’
      video, and a large inventory of stained glass for holiday
      shopping.

      We are also raffling off a basket of books with over $150
      worth of good stuff and will have some other surprises too.
      I am even packing a light table to show off the stained
      glass!

      District Coordinator the Rev. Arlene Ackerman tells me that
      there are over 250 people registered for this conference,
      which is a very good turnout for our District. Kevin hopes
      to be able to share information about the books that we
      have in progress with lots of people, and we want to make
      new contacts and new friends.

      Please keep us in your prayers as we travel the 50 miles
      up to Hagerstown and for a successful District Conference.

      We will report back next Friday!

      If you've received the Chi Rho Connection as a result of the
      good offices of someone passing it along to you (which
      we certainly encourage) and would like to receive it
      directly from us, please follow the directions at the
      end of this Connection to subscribe.

      To order, please visit http://www.ChiRhoPress.com. You
      may pay by credit card on our web page or we will ship
      order. Include your e-mail address, mailing address,
      and telephone number please.

      If you have questions, please write to
      Question@....

      For comments and suggestions
      about this eNewsletter, please write
      Connection@....

      To learn about our Guardian
      Angel Individual Sponsor Program, please write
      Angels@....

      For all other correspondence,
      please write Adam@....

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her new Web page,
      http://www.christiangays.com.

      Kevin Stone Fries, Editor/Office Manager,
      Kevin@....